Ani DiFranco

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby jenfrazzle » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:09 pm

gotta respectfully disagree about her recent stuff - i'll admit educated guess takes some getting used to, but i'm really liking it.

i feel i must advocate for revelling & evolve - i really think those are incredible albums! anyone else feel the same way, or am i alone on this?
jenfrazzle
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby girlgoddess » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:29 pm

i was supposed to see ani on friday. but then stupid money got in the way.

*tear*

.r.

(i'm not really who i said i was or who i thought i'd be)
if you have poo, fling it now.
girlgoddess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby TontoBronto » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:55 am

jenfrazzle wrote:gotta respectfully disagree about her recent stuff - i'll admit educated guess takes some getting used to, but i'm really liking it.

i feel i must advocate for revelling & evolve - i really think those are incredible albums! anyone else feel the same way, or am i alone on this?

I'm gonna burn a copy of my Righteous Babe sampler for Kelsea (and Scott).
But it's skewed towards the early stuff (just because of when it was released). If I have room to add some later tracks, what would be good choices?? (I HAVE reckoning and evolve, so I could burn a track or two if there's room).

(I don't want to steer anyone towards the early stuff just because that's what I like most. I often put several Ani discs in a multi-disc player and push shuffle-play where discs and tracks are all intermixed---some of the later songs DO fit in well with my early favorites. Still, if I'm limited to a single disc player, I'll almost always choose "Dilate")
Last edited by TontoBronto on Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:51 am

Did anyone else see this? It's unfortunate but apparently, due to tendonitis, Ani will have to be off the road for a year! See http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8662698/ :

NEW YORK - Singer/songwriter Ani DiFranco will begin a year-long hiatus from the road this month because of worsening tendonitis in her wrists and hands.

A West Coast tour due to begin Aug. 30 in Boise, Idaho, has been canceled to accommodate the artist’s recovery.

“If she were to continue to perform at this time, she would risk permanent nerve damage to her hands,” DiFranco’s spokesperson said in a statement....
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby jenfrazzle » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:10 am

Arlene wrote:Did anyone else see this? It's unfortunate but apparently, due to tendonitis, Ani will have to be off the road for a year! See http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8662698/ :

what a bummer. when i saw her earlier this year it was pretty clear that her wrist/arm was in pain. it didn't inhibit her playing, which was fast & intense, but occasionally when talking between sets she would massage her hand & arm...
jenfrazzle
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby jenfrazzle » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:18 am

Tonto Yoder wrote:I'm gonna burn a copy of my Righteous Babe sampler for Kelsea (and Scott).
But it's skewed towards the early stuff (just because of when it was released). If I have room to add some later tracks, what would be good choices?? (I HAVE reckoning and evolve, so I could burn a track or two if there's room).

on revelling, i'd say garden of simple is a must. i also would recommend tamburitza lingua, my favorite of ani's spoken word pieces, and heartbreak even.

on evolve, i would go with evolve and here for now - those kick ass. in the way is a good one, too...

if anyone wants to get a peek at some good streaming ani concert videos, check out http://www.aniboots.tk/ they play pretty smoothly & they're not downloads or anything...
jenfrazzle
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby cinnamoons » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:32 pm

NEW YORK - Singer/songwriter Ani DiFranco will begin a year-long hiatus from the road this month because of worsening tendonitis in her wrists and hands.

A West Coast tour due to begin Aug. 30 in Boise, Idaho, has been canceled to accommodate the artist’s recovery.

“If she were to continue to perform at this time, she would risk permanent nerve damage to her hands,” DiFranco’s spokesperson said in a statement....

Woah... tough! I guess it was bound to happen when you play with that level of energy over 100 gigs per year for 15 years!! I hope she recovers completely... She must be feeling down right now... I know I'm not a great guitar player but I had to completely stop for 2 weeks and I was a pain to everyone so I can't imagine how she's feeling!

Best wishes to her...
All of our children, all over the world are everybody's children, let love be heard Wherever the children are frightened and hurt When somebody suffers, let love be heard
cinnamoons
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:26 am

I really enjoyed Ani's interview/performance on World Cafe yesterday. (It might have been a repeat-- she's playing songs from Knuckle Down.) See http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4818696

Even if you don't like her music all that much, doesn't she seem like such an interesting, great person?
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Fool On Fire » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:31 pm

Arlene wrote:I really enjoyed Ani's interview/performance on World Cafe yesterday...Even if you don't like her music all that much, doesn't she seem like such an interesting, great person?

Ani was, is, and always will be a tremendously interesting and passionate person. She's a phenomenal success story and she can take every single scrap of the credit for that. I heart her. (And I greatly admire her ability to play the shit out of her guitar even when she is stoned out of her FUCKING MIND, which is...pretty much all the time. haha.)

Having said that, she was waaaaaay stupid not to take her doctor's advice to take a break before this. I hope she's doing all right these days. I hope her house in New Orleans didn't get totally destroyed this week. :(

Maybe she'll release a spoken word album so she can keep up with her quota of at least 12 albums a year. Well, I'm joking about the yearly quota of records, but I'm not joking about the idea - I'd love to have a spoken word record from Ani. I think it'd be a great project for her to work on while she's letting her hands recover. But, she do whut she WANT.

Anyway,
~Elise
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:57 pm

Fool_on_Fire wrote:Maybe she'll release a spoken word album .....I'm not joking about the idea - I'd love to have a spoken word record from Ani. I think it'd be a great project for her to work on while she's letting her hands recover. But, she do whut she WANT.

Anyway,
~Elise

I brought this up on myspace---Luka Bloom was in a similar situation (with tendonitis) and changed gears for one CD---
http://www.lukabloom.com/discography/d_before.htm

I would think Ani could do some kind of CD that would be doctor-approved.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:45 pm

BTW, there's a good site for ani lyrics.
I recently received Ani's demo bootleg and went to that site for the lyrics.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:02 pm

For anyone who bought Ani's "Women in (E)Motion" CD (a commercially-released non-Righteous CD), there's a bootleg circulating of her entire show from the Schauburg (Bremen) festival. It has 8 trax that didn't make it to the "official" CD, one of which is "Mama Just Wants to Barrelhouse" (which I've not heard Ani do before).

The 90 minutes of concert are supplemented with 6 bonus trax to round out the second CD.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Fool On Fire » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:07 am

Calling all Ani fans...

Her new album Reprieve is scheduled for release on August 8th, and can now be pre-ordered at her website.

I've got my copy on reserve! There are some real gems on the tracklist...I heard her play "Decree" the first time she ever did it live, and then again in Atlanta in April, and that might actually be one of my favorite Ani songs ever. "Half-Assed" and "Unrequited" are gorgeous.

Also, the story behind the cover art is pretty chilling and inspiring at the same time...(taken from the righteous babe website)

"...it's sixty years later
near the hypo-center of the a-bomb
i’m in the middle of hiroshima
watching a twisted old eucalyptus tree wave
one of the very few lives that survived and lives on
remembering the day it was suddenly
thousands of degrees in the shade..."

The tree on the cover of Reprieve is not just any tree.

It's the one that inspired Ani to write the lines above, taken from the title track of the album. It's a real tree, photographed in Nagasaki on August 10, 1945. Photographer Yosuke Yamahata travelled into the city the day after it was levelled in an instant by an atomic bomb. (He had just travelled through Hiroshima a few days earlier, immediately before that city was also destroyed.) Most of the images he shot while documenting the devastation chronicle an unspeakable "hell on earth," to use his term, but one image stands in contrast to the horrors of war: a lone tree, half destroyed while the other half remained intact. For many viewers, it has become a symbol of resilience and hope.

Yamahata writes:
"Human memory has a tendency to slip, and critical judgment to fade, with the years and with changes in lifestyle and circumstance. But the camera, just as it seized the grim realities of that time, brings the stark facts...before our eyes without the need for the slightest embellishment."

Click here to see the original photo and learn more about Yamahata's Nagasaki series.

Special thanks to Shogo Yamahata for preserving the legacy of his father's work.

Ani remains forever cool,
~Elise

-- Amy Ray

-- Albert King

"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby tuckatangent » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:48 pm

The new album's up on iTunes, or was as of this morning. Somebody made a mistake - they list the release date as August 8, 2002.

Edited: And it's gone. Good one, iTunes.
Amber
tuckatangent
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Postby Fool On Fire » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:02 pm

cross-posted from another board...

Dunno how this happened, but I got my copy of Reprieve in the mail today. Oh how I love getting things before the official release date. (Makes me feel like a rockstar. :D )

First impressions: the packaging is gorgeous. The artwork is almost Roald Dahl-ish sketches, but they're colored beautifully. It comes in a cardboard slip case with a fold-out panel that the lyric booklet is tucked into. My only complaint is the photography - she's gone back to that annoying M.O. of hers whereby she only includes blurred photos of herself (one of the main reasons I loved the Knuckle Down photography was that you could actually see her face, heh - no such luck in these photos). Fortunately there are only about 2 photos like that.

The music is wonderful. Todd Sickafoose is really a genius and his bass lines have this rock-solid feel that works so beautifully as a counterpoint to Ani's inherent fierceness. She's got some amazing lyrics...as always, her poetry is her strongest suit. I'm loving the studio versions of "Decree" and "Half-Assed."

tickled pink,
~Elise

-- Amy Ray

-- Albert King

-- Josh Ritter

Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)