Latin Grammys/Juan Luis Guerra

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Latin Grammys/Juan Luis Guerra

Postby Rob » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:09 pm

Meant to post this here and not in The Watercooler...

I am out in utterly ridiculous Las Vegas to write the Latin Grammys/MusicCares Person of the Year Award show which is here at the Mandalay Bay on Wednesday night.

The honoree is a Dominican singer/songwriter, Juan Luis Guerra. The rehearsal today reminded me that if you want to listen to some truly talented musicians, try Latin music. Granted, these guys (and one gal, who, incidentally, is the music director) are the cream of the crop, and Guerra demands top talent, but this was a 17 piece band that was firing on all cylinders. It's astounding and overwhelming to listen to percussionists that make everyone else sound like rank amateurs, Longoria included (and I think he's great). I was supposed to be writing but I could not tear myself away from the rehearsal as the music was just TOO good. None of these musicians is a household name, certainly, at least not in this country, but the talent and musicianship is extraordinary.

Guerra's band is considered by many to be the best in the Latin music world and, quite frankly, I'd have to agree (not that I know much about other Latin bands). In fact, it's almost embarrassing to listen to other bands that are supposed to be "tight" and then hear these folks play. They are THAT good. And it's not some piddling, four piece band. There are 17 people totally in synch and feeding off each other. And suddenly, the woman bandleader will wave her arms and the music will stop for some reason unknown to mere mortals (that would be me) but known to musicians with finely tuned musical sensibilities. Can't wait for rehearsal tomorrow with Ricky Martin.

Well, off to dinner. I wish I could venture out to In-N-Out Burger but I don't have a car. Taxis are $$$$$ in this city. $17 to get from the airport to the Mandalay, which is the closest hotel to the airport. Makes me hesitate to get in a cab to eat dinner. The dinner would be about $8 but it might cost $28 to get there.

Incidentally, anyone out here like a free place to stay, I've got two queen beds in my room and it's booked until Saturday. Come on out to Vegas, baby!

Score!! Looked out my window here on the 27th floor and I can see an In-N-Out Burger that looks easily within walking distance!
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby marybeth » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:22 am

Sounds great, Rob, thanks alot for the update! Have fun in Vegas, baby! :D
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Rob » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:32 pm

In-N-Out Burger update: I walked and walked and got lost in the badlands where a hobo threw a large chunk of brick at me when I would not surrender a dollar. These Vegas homeless are some tough hombres. In NYC, they simply move onto the next person... unless they are totally unstable and toss you in front of a subway train. Thankfully, this bum's aim was lousy and I survived. I killed him, though, with a railroad spike through the eye. He deserved it. Fed his body to Sigfried and Roy's tigers as they have not had a good meal since they gnawed on Roy.

Vegas is so fucking Vegas. From the old lady at the slot machine at 7:30AM with a beer to the overweight teenager at the breakfast buffet at 8AM loading up on soft-serve ice cream. Poverty to gluttony all in one morning.

But I get to see Ricky Martin play in a few hours. And I have a trio of Russian hookers coming by later tonight to my room. That makes it better.
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)