Tift Merritt

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby keith from ny » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:57 am

I drove up to the Towne Crier Café in Pawling NY from Long Island (about 90 miles) last night to see Tift, having missed her appearance at the Mercury Lounge in NYC some months back because I had to be out of town. I picked up Arlene (who lives in Manhattan) at the Pawling train station at 7:01 and we headed over to the venue to have dinner before the 9:00 show. There was already a pretty good crowd seated near the stage when we arrived at 7:10, but we got a table with a good view about 20 feet from the stage a little left of center.

I had never heard opener Jess Klein, and I gotta say she was absolutely phenomenal! With a plaintive sultry voice and formidable technique on a guitar that's nearly as big as she is, she had the audience absolutely transfixed (myself included). I actually had to loosen my collar during her spine-tingling performance of Willie Dixon's The Same Thing, during which you could have heard a pin drop.

Tift and the boys came on a little after 10:00 and opened with Morning Is My Destination with Tift at the piano. It was a very spirited show, as I've come to expect from Tift by now (I think this was show #8 for me). This was the first time I've seen the band with Scott McCall and I thought he did a really fabulous job on lead guitar. They performed Supposed to Make You Happy unmiked with Jay and Scott turning in beautiful harmonies, and also went off mike for brief but lovely interludes during Keep Me Happy, Broken, Something To Me and When I Cross Over. Tift performed Good Hearted Man solo on the piano (after encouraging the staff to silence the register noisily pumping out dinner receipts) and they closed with a rousing performance of When I Cross Over. Mille Tendresses was the encore.

By the time the show was over it was about 10 minutes before Arlene's last train back to NYC. I had brought my copy of Another Country for Tift to sign, but a long line had already formed to talk to her when I came out of the men's room and I really couldn't wait. So I just stopped alongside the line across from her and Zeke on our way to the door and called out "Tift! I have to catch a train, but -- I LOVE YOU!!" She flashed me that big smile of hers and reached out her arm through the people standing in front of her, and I squeezed her hand and waved. "Don't miss your train!" she laughed. It was a good moment. :)

I could say a lot more about the show but a recording is worth a thousand words (and then some), so you can download hi-fi mp3s from this link:

http://kbergend.tripod.com/tm2008-08-09.zip

The house mix wasn't quite as good as other times I've seen Tift perform and there's a bit of clipping during the very loudest parts of the show, but for the most part it sounds pretty nice. I boosted the gain a little on Supposed To Make You Happy to make it more audible. Enjoy!

01 Morning Is My Destination
02 Hopes Too High
03 Stray Paper
04 I Know What I'm Looking For Now
05 Another Country
06 Supposed To Make You Happy (unmiked)
07 Tell Me Something True
08 Keep You Happy
09 My Heart Is Free
10 Ain't Looking Closely
11 Broken
12 Tender Branch
13 Something To Me
14 Good Hearted Man
15 When I Cross Over
[encore]
16 Mille Tendresses

AT943c > Marantz PMD620 @24/44.1
cardreader > USB > Audition 3.0/Ozone 3 > CD Wave > Apple mp3 encoder @192kbps
Editing: gain adjustments, EQ, compression < 120 Hz, MBIT+ dither to 16 bits
Last edited by keith from ny on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby outta » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:40 pm

Sounds like a great time, keith! 8)
"Tell me the truth, you sweet son of a bitch"
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Gerry » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:50 pm

I totally agree with what Keith said (thanks for mentioning I was at the show too keith ) :wink:
It was my first time seeing Tiff play live and she didn't disappoint. I waited in line after the show to thank her for traveling to the Towne crier & am glad to know she will do more shows in the area since she lives in NY now.

Here are some photos from the show as well as Jess Kleins show.

Gerry

Jess Klein
Gerry
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby keith from ny » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:06 pm

Gerry wrote:I totally agree with what Keith said (thanks for mentioning I was at the show too keith ) :wink:

LOL, I was just posting that I forgot to mention you were in attendance! Sorry Gerry.

I was hoping you got some pics, well done! Image
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby outta » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:21 pm

She's absolutely stunning. Great shots!
"Tell me the truth, you sweet son of a bitch"
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Gerry » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:38 pm

Thanks for the compliments :D
Gerry
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:44 pm

Great show! Great recording! Geat photos!

Thanks Keith and Gerry (and Tift!) As usual, I had a blast attending with both of you.

And Keith-- thanks agin for the ride to the train. Hope you'll forgive me for missing out on a longer conversation with Tift. :wink:
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:52 pm

Arlene wrote:And Keith-- thanks agin for the ride to the train. Hope you'll forgive me for missing out on a longer conversation with Tift. :wink:

No problem at all Arlene, glad you could join me for the show! "I love you!" pretty much said it all anyway. ;)
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:45 am

Thanks for sharing this with us. As usual, JEALOUS!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:38 pm

Sounds like a great show and a good time had by all. I am not at a comp where I can DL the Mp3s right now. Please let me take a rain check for now, Keith.
PLEEEEEEZZZZZE.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:48 pm

Thanks for the Tift concert DL, Keeeeeef. Sounds great!
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby bivester » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:26 pm

my review and some pics of her extraordinary performance @ the original highlands music and art fair last saturday night can be found @ http://whatweneedismusic.blogspot.com/

what a fun nite!
"well, i'll bet you can't pronounce 'b-a-n-g-o-r' correctly any better than i can say 'louisville'... " ~patty to me after the kentucky theatre show

"and i'm so twitterpated about bill, i just tuned the wrong guitar...i said twitterpated, that's what i said." ~karin bergquist @ cst | dayton (sat | 04.09.2005)

bivester:concert photographs
bivester
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby TontoBronto » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:17 pm

Tift was apparently on BBC Scotland recently (i.e. Feb 2009).
The "Another Country" show is being torrented on Dime, and I love the version of "Broken" she did-- :D
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:52 pm

I'm sure it won't be as great as the recording of the Union Hall show, but FYI, through Tift's official web site it's now possible to pre-order a CD of a live solo show by her recorded in England in November of 2008. (It's not clear to me if this live album will also be commercially released and/or available on iTunes.) Anyway, see http://www.kungfunation.com/index.php?m ... cts_id=999
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:14 pm

Arlene wrote:I'm sure it won't be as great as the recording of the Union Hall show, but FYI, through Tift's official web site it's now possible to pre-order a CD of a live solo show by her recorded in England in November of 2008. (It's not clear to me if this live album will also be commercially released and/or available on iTunes.) Anyway, see http://www.kungfunation.com/index.php?m ... cts_id=999

An FYI, I had preordered this from Tift's website a while back and got it in the mail a couple of weeks ago. Thankfully, the sound quality is better than my Union Hall recording! Definitely recommended for Tift fans.
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)