A Novel Idea

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

A Novel Idea

Postby sfboy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:00 pm

I'm a huge Jill Sobule fan. She has had problems with record labels and contracts which remind me of similar problems that Patty, as well as others, (Aimee Mann, for one) has had. But Jill has dealt with this problem in a novel (at least to me) way, and I'm just wondering what you all think about it.

She's decided to produce her own new disc without a label. However, she needs $75,000 to pay the musicians, get studio space, yadda yadda yadda. So she's asking for donations from fans. You can donate from $20 to $25,000, and there are something like 10 levels of donations ($20, $50, $100, etc). At each level, the donor gets a prize (i.e. the new disc, the new disc plus a t shirt, the new disc plus a t shirt plus free tickets to any of her concerts that year, etc). For $5,000 she'll do a house concert for you, and for $10,000 you get to sing on the CD! (As an aside, it made me think, if Patty would do a house concert for $5,000, how long would it take me to actually write that check??? Could you imagine Patty doing a concert in your living room???) I just thouht that this was such an inventive, fan-friendly solution to a hard problem, but I'm just wondering what you all think. Maybe it would depend on the artist. With Jill I feel like she's so amazingly talented but gets almost no recognition, so it makes me happy to be able to help her out.

Anyway, I'd love to get other opions.

Thanks.

Kevin

p.s. If you don't know her music, you can go to her website (www.jillsobule.com) and there's a whole concert in NY that you can download for free!!!
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby gillian » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:05 pm

This is a program that is often offered by independent musicians... I have pre-ordered (at differing levels) from lots of my favorite artists (that don't have a label deal). I am always happy to be able to support my favorite artists in a significant way.
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby sfboy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:29 pm

See, there you go, not so novel after all. Gillian, just because I'm curious, how did these other independent artists solicit your money? From their websites? And did they give away goodies as well?

There's something about the immediacy of the connection that I really like.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Browncoat » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:25 pm

Kris Delmhorst did this for her new record. It was pretty much the exact same deal. You ordered from the website and the deal went from your basic CD, to a CD, bonus demo CD, access to a recording blog, a mixed CD from Kris, a house concert, and free tickets to all of Kris's shows. I can't remember what the price of that one was, but it was something like $5000... maybe it was ten. I don't know.
Subtly eccentric...
Browncoat
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby gillian » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:45 pm

Generally I've found out about it through the artists' email lists, and they usualy put the info on their website as well, with payment through Paypal. And yes, there are always some "extras" with the levels above the base preorder. Usually the preorder price (which gets you the cd as soon as the artist gets it in their hands, and usually signed) is around $20 or sometimes $25 dollars. Then the levels after that add additional cds, tickets, unreleased extras, a house concert, etc etc.
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby marybeth » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:42 pm

Well so should I try this? I have quite a bill facing me....!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby gala002 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:56 pm

Hurry up Marybeth.. Don't wait...and I'll be there with a few bucks. :)

20+20+20+20 = More than expected and you could be very surprised. :wink:
gala002
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby sfboy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:36 pm

I've said this before, but I'll say it again! One of the many reasons I love this site is that y'all are so darn well informed! So thanks for the info. And Marybeth, I agree with Denis. I'm in for $20. Just tell me where.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)