Luka Bloom

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Luka Bloom

Postby gala002 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:54 pm

It's my sister's new choice since a year now. I never heard about this irish folksinger.
Here is a link and I hope it works.

He really touch my heart this guy.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=9HUWn6udd1Q
gala002
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby sfboy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:13 pm

Hey Denis

I LOVE Luka Bloom. I have all of his CDs. He's a great performer and a real treasure. Every single time he's come to SF I've been busy and not been able to see him, except for a short in-store that he did at Amoeba Records here in SF, and he was great.

I highly recommend his first two CDs, but they're all great. Glad you've discovered him.
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Our Kid » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:58 pm

COunt me in on the Luka love!!!

I could listen to "Sunnny Sailor Boy" for an hour or two on repeat and never get tired of it.
"You could write a song about some kind of emotional problem you are having, but it would not be a good song, in my eyes, until it went through a period of sensitivity to a moment of clarity. Without that moment of clarity to contribute to the song, it's just complaining."

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Arlene » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:50 am

I think that Luka Bloom's version of LL Cool J's "I Need Love," done as an impassioned, straight-faced love song, might be the sexiest male vocal performance I've ever heard. My favorite recording of him singing this song is on the In Their Own Words CD but here's a Youtube clip from Warner Bros. that is also worth checking out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuJdAveu0Bw
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:20 pm

Fan here too---especially of "Riverside".

Trivia question: "Luka Bloom" is his stage name. It's based on two references/allusions. What are they???
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby gala002 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:24 am

Wikipedia tells every thing you want to know, isn't it Bruce?

Vega's song: "Luka" and Joyce's main character in Ulysse: "Bloom". So we all know that the guy is hiding his real name because his brother Christy was there before.

Good idea Tonto
gala002
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby sfboy » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:57 pm

And if any of y'all are interested, he has a new (or at least new to me) CD out. The US version of the CD has 2 extra tracks, one of which is an anti-war song specifically aimed at Bush's war in Iraq (sorry for being political, but I refuse to say "our" war). It's an amazingly simple yet poignant song. He had it up on his website but I hadn't been able to find it for purchase anywhere. I'm soooo happy that I'm going to be able to listen to it a lot now.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby sfboy » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:28 pm

Sorry, but I made a mistake in my last posting. Luka's penultimate CD from 2006 is the one that has the two bonus tracks including I'm Not At War With Anyone. His lastest CD (from 2007) is out as well. I haven't heard either and didn't actually know that they existed until I went onto Amazon. But I'm buying them at my local independent record store, so there, Amazon.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)