Rachael Yamagata

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Rachael Yamagata

Postby PCStuff » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:00 am

I keep going to her site and seeing the coming soon video teaser. I always loved her previous Happenstance, Live At The Loft, & EP releases. Anyone heard any "skinny" on this new release?
PCStuff
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby RightOverThisMess » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:52 am

Rachael blows my mind, and she needs to come out with something new soon. Happenstance is a perfect album.
Nobody helps a liar.
...and you don't know what I've done.
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby PCStuff » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:35 am

PCStuff
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby RightOverThisMess » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Thanks so much for posting that! I purchased it today and am sooo happy to have some new Rachael tunes to listen to!
Nobody helps a liar.
...and you don't know what I've done.
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Mis » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:25 pm

Supposedly Rachael has signed with a different major label and her full-length album is set to be released in October. So FINALLY, some news! :)
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby mattimus » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:47 pm

I completely adore this woman- her talent is mind numbing.

In addition to the 3 track EP (none of which will be on the album), there's a new EP on iTunes featuring 4 songs off the new record. Check them out. "Sidedish Friend" is ridiculously good.
mattimus
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Postby Mis » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:22 pm

I saw RY last Wednesday night here in Philly before heading to ACL on Thursday morning...here's the review I posted on a coupla other sites (in short - GO SEE HER....NOWWWWW):

Just back from the RY show at a TIIIIINY little club in Philly. I had such a shite-tastic day at work that I considered just giving it a miss, because I didn't get home until nearly 7. And I needed to leave here a bit after 8 to catch the train uptown to make it. And I hadn't finished packing for my trip to Austin. But I just knew I would absolutely HATE myself if I missed it, so I caffeinated myself, put the rest of my stuff together, and caught the train. Thank the LORD.

Oh.

MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

GOD.

You peeps in the PNW MUST go to her shows out there (Oct 4 in Seattle, Oct 5 in PDX). RUN, do NOT walk, to get tickets.

She's better than ever. I had forgotten how fuck fuck fucking amazing she is live. And in a 150-capacity club, standing about 6 feet from her, I got the up close and personal view. She literally channels Joplin...it's incredible. And I'd forgotten how fucking sexy that woman is. Not tiny (praise GOD) but deliciously curvy, and the flowing hair, and the Liv Tyler smile and the piercing eyes, and LORD! Ok anyway...

Kevin Devine opened - he opened for KT on part of her US tour a couple years ago. He was good - I liked him better solo than with his band. Got to briefly say hello to him after Rachael's set and then my cab showed up, so yeah. Anyway...RACHAEL...

RY played a good mix of older stuff and stuff from the new album. The 21 + maybe a day - old gaggle of drunk girls in front of me (who kept backing into me eventhough there was about a 4-foot space in front of them. GGGGGRRR!) grabbed all the setlists. But here's what I remember (not in order):

Collide
Known for Years
Letter Read
Be Be Your Love
Meet Me By The Water
Sidedish Friend (new - getting a lot of play on WXPN here in Philly)
I Want You
Worn Me Down (electric version - ROCKED - crowd sang along)
Faster (again, new, and getting a lot of play on WXPN)
What if I Leave (new)
ELEPHANTS -(new - BEEPING GORGEOUS, you've all seen the video above)

There were several other tracks from the new album in here - but I don't know the names of them - the rock ones are ROCKING, electric wonders, the slow ones are wrenching and heart-wringing.

THEN she played the SECRET TRACK from the new album - The Only Fault - and kind of vamped and whispered into the microphone about a guy hitting on someone in the corner until everyone quieted down to the point that you could've heard a pin drop. INCREDIBLE. Soft, quiet, fingerpicked on a tremello-y Gretsch.

Then they closed with Sunday Afternoon - a new kind of old song, from what I've heard. It's on the new album. OMG...blew the damn roof off the place.

Encore:

The Reason Why - the whole crowd sang along at the top of their lungs, and Rachel LOVED it. People were yelling out stuff like "man, that guy was an ASSHOLE!" and interjecting other stuff in between the verses, and it was totally cracking Rachael up. After it was over, she said it was the most fun she'd ever had playing that song. It was her birthday yesterday (the 23rd- the day after mine! woop!) so we all sang Happy Birthday to her, as well.

She mentioned several times that she's "lived in Philly long enough now to say that I'm from Philly. It's great to play at home!" How did I not know this??? Is this serious? Does anyone else know? If this is true, she should be playing around town a decent amount, and that is happy news!

Anyway - it was SOFA KING AWESOME. And I have to say I'm proud of myself, because the place where she played is up in kind of a shady neighborhood in north Philly and I went on my own and got there and home alive and well. LOL
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby outta » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:29 pm

Mis, sounds like a fantastic time! I'm usually running on caffeine ... and nerves (or nervousness!).

Yet another artist I'm unfamiliar with ... for now!
"Tell me the truth, you sweet son of a bitch"
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby PCStuff » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:11 am

LOL! MIS, it sounds like you are smitten! I fully understand.

I love this YouTube video of her at the piano.
PCStuff
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Mis » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:38 pm

^ That is a good one, PC. I recently found the one of her doing Be Be Your Love at ACL in 2004, and spotted myself in the video a couple of times - fun. :)

I REALLY love the new record. It's incredibly melancholy, then jarringly badass. I am definitely smitten! :)
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby mattimus » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:40 pm

LOVE the new album. She's grown so much in the last four years. "Duet", "Brown Eyes", "The Only Fault", "Faster" and "Don't" are my initial favorites.
mattimus
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Postby Mis » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:58 am

The more I listen to this record, the more I love it. I literally get agitated if I don't listen to it at least once a day. LOL!
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby PCStuff » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:59 am

This is remaing a very powerful album. Rachael takes me off into a journey of places I don't understand, but more feel them. Just an amazing artist.
PCStuff
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Mis » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:19 pm

PCStuff wrote:This is remaing a very powerful album. Rachael takes me off into a journey of places I don't understand, but more feel them. Just an amazing artist.

Completely and totally agreed. I'm absolutely obsessed with this record. I'm going to see her at the First Unitarian Church in Philly here a week from tomorrow and it's an amazing place to see anyone, let alone her. I can't wait. :)
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby RightOverThisMess » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:02 am

I saw Rachael in Seoul tonight! Read my blog entry: