Album music

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Album music

Postby Russell » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:02 pm

This week I started an experiment of sort with a new website from which users can stream entire albums. Right now, I'm planning to post a new album every other day. Each posted album will remain available for play for 2 weeks. The site is http://www.musicbythealbum.com. Really clever name, huh?

The reason I mention it on this forum is that many of the albums I'll be posting will be by artists that I first learned about right here. My initial target audience has been the ridiculously large number of people I personally know who are stuck in mainstream rock, pop, and country mode, just like I was until a short time ago (which explains why I hadn't heard of Patty until last summer). That means I'll be posting music other than mainstream rock, etc. (If unless you consider Emmylou mainstream, there will be that one exception).

The reason I mention it now is that I'm posting "Living With Ghosts" tomorrow. Over time, I'll be posting all of her albums in order of release date (or in one case, the "should have been released" date). Feel free to login and stuff the comment box with effusive praise about her albums. I do require registration. I don't want the various royalty police to claim the site has some sort of massive audience and ask for the same fees as they are trying to squeeze out of last.fm.

If you do check it out, feel free to make requests either of albums you have and want to spread the word on or of albums you haven't heard but want to hear. I'll see what I can do.

Like I say, though, it's an experiment. It may turn out that people don't like to listen to entire albums on their computer. I'll just have to see.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:59 am

Its a cool idea and a well done website, Russell, and thanks for trying to bring Patty and other deserving souls to your pals stuck in the mainstream rock jungle....! :)
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:44 am

I'm still toying with my http://www.musicbythealbum.com site and have decided to remove the registration requirement at least temporarily. Right now the traffic is waaaaay too light to justify that requirement. If nothing else, I'd like to encourage folks who haven't heard Cheri Knight's Northeast Kingdom album or Julie Miller's Broken Things album to check them out. You might particularly enjoy Patty's beautiful harmony (almost a duet) on Julie Miller's "I Still Cry". I loved that harmony even before I knew that it was Patty or who Patty was. Here are the direct links for those two albums:

http://www.musicbythealbum.com/2008/06/24/cheri-knights-northeast-kingdom/

http://www.musicbythealbum.com/2008/06/25/julie-miller-broken-things-2008/
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Turk » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:47 pm

I think your site is a great idea, Russell!
I signed up and got my password but it wouldn't let me log in. I think I'll try re-registering. I love the Cheri Knight stuff and fell in love with Broken Things years ago. Looking forward to other selections.

Thank you!
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:49 pm

Turk wrote:I signed up and got my password but it wouldn't let me log in. I think I'll try re-registering. I love the Cheri Knight stuff and fell in love with Broken Things years ago. Looking forward to other selections.

Turk: From what I can tell, your registration didn't take hold. If re-registering doesn't work, send me a PM with a username, pw, and email address that you want to use, and I'll set you up manually.

It just occurred to me that this month is the anniversary month of a very special month for me. At the beginning of June 2007, I first heard "Rose In The Vine" from Cheri Knight's Northeast Kingdom. About a week after that, I first heard "Out In The Rain" from Julie Miller's Broken Things. A week later, I first heard "Stay On The Ride" by we all know who. I heard all three songs on a single internet radio station (radio-americana on live365.com). All three songs struck me like a breath of fresh air and lead me to discover a whole world of good music I'd been missing. That's why I have a particular affection for "Stay On The Ride" that may not be shared by longer-time Patty fans. Today, I consider Northeast Kingdom and Broken Things as close to perfect as any album I've ever heard. I'm pretty certain that Patty has it in her to at least equal those two albums. Maybe a producer like Steve Earle (who produced Northeast Kingdom), Buddy Miller, or Rick Rubin (if ATO would swing his hefty price tag) is all it would take.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Turk » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:02 pm

Russ -
I re-registered and it is working. Your choice of music is awesome. There is an immediate ambiance that is undeniable. Great idea....

Anyone who hasn't visited this site should do so. The variety of music is so fantastic.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:27 pm

Thanks for the complement, Turk.

I'm really shooting for variety as well as introducing lesser known artists and groups, many of whom offer so much more than the big names. I depend heavily on input from other sources. Hint, hint.

I took some time off from the site to tend to build up the struggling business that makes me money (my daughter plans to attend some overly expensive college in 2009 after all), but I couldn't stay away long, primarily because I had this incessant need to post Silver Bell. That was done today. I planned to go acoustic/folkie for a while until I checked Bivester's new blog, http://whatweneedismusic.wordpress.com/, where I learned about Katie Reider and Monahans. The late Katie Reider (very sad) fit the bill, but Monahans does not. I love the sound though, so I guess I'll have to break from my plan. Thanks for the great resource Bill.

But, of more importance, I am pleased to announce that the remarkable album, Heaven, Hell, Sin & Redemption, by Marybeth D'Amico will be posted early next week.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby outta » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:00 pm

Russell, this is soooooooooooo incredibly cool! I wish I had noticed this thread earlier! What a great way to keep the music alive!

I'm spreading the love, so I hope you'll get a few more hits and suggestions.

Again, this is just fantastic!

Congrats to MB for her upcoming showcase! YOU are one cool and thoughtful person!
"Tell me the truth, you sweet son of a bitch"
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby elcorazon » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:25 am

great job russell. I've enjoyed the site and the stuff I was unfamiliar with. well done.
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby outta » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:29 am

I just listened to Katie Reider's album. Thanks for posting it. I enjoyed "getting to know her," if only through her music. Beautiful voice, nicely arranged and relaxing songs.

Dead at 30. That's tough pill to swallow. :(
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:08 pm

Yes, so sad! :( Lovely songs, too.

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

James McMurtry

Postby outta » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:31 am

Just Us Kids is friggin' excellent! I love this album!
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Russell » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:14 am

I got a few requests to make Julie Miller's Broken Things and Cheri Knight's Northeast Kingdom available for replay, so if you haven't heard them, they are again available for play this week.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:19 pm

That's great, I was all disappointed when I couldn't hear Cheri Knight after you had raved about her!

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:41 pm

OMG, I already love this Cheri Knight album and I'm only on song four. I already tried to order it over iTunes but it wasn't there...so now I'm looking on Amazon. I want Steve Earle to produce MY next album! What a great job.

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Next

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)