Album music

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby marybeth » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:31 am

So what happened to Cheri? She didn't ever put out another album after 1998?
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby elcorazon » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:22 pm

marybeth - really enjoyed listening to your record. I might just have to get that one. Well done- girl.
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:41 pm

thanks el!

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:54 pm

At noon tomorrow, http://www.musicbythealbum.com will be posting Here Is What Is, the latest album by Daniel Lanois. If you're familiar with Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball album, you might find this album interesting not only because Lanois produced Wrecking Ball and wrote several of the songs included on that album, but also because Here Is What Is includes Lanois' own version of one of those songs, "Where Will I Be". That's the opening track on Wrecking Ball and it pretty much opens this album (there's a short and somewhat off-the-wall statement made by Brian Eno just before "Where Will I Be" kicks off). Interestingly (at least to me), Brian Blade is the drummer in both versions (I think he does all the drum work on both albums), but his drumming is dramatically different in each version. You may also find it interesting if you've never heard one of Lanois' own albums - they are different. Anyway, of you're interested, check it out.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby becmurr » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:09 pm

Thanks for this link-I didn't know about this site.......

Listening to you now Marybeth-nice 8)
becmurr
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby becmurr » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:14 pm

Nice to hear my name in a song :lol:
becmurr
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby marybeth » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:25 pm

Thanks Becky! 8)

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby outta » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:01 am

musicbythealbum is like my new best site! I think I'm addicted!
"Tell me the truth, you sweet son of a bitch"
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Russell » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:59 pm

outta wrote:musicbythealbum is like my new best site! I think I'm addicted!

Thanks much for the compliment, O. It's good to know that the effort is worthwhile. :D
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

13 Ways to Live

Postby Russell » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:56 am

Today I posted the album 13 Ways to Live which was released in 2004. The post is here:

http://www.musicbythealbum.com/2008/07/29/special-unscheduled-postscreen-door-music-friends-13-ways-to-live-2004/

If you haven't heard it before, it's a surprisingly good album even though it consists of 12 songs written and performed by 12 different singer-songwriters and one written and performed by Screen Door Music, the Austin band that put the album together. The band also provides backup on all of the other songs. More significantly, it is also the album for which Patty wrote "Dear Old Friend" and, to the best of my knowledge, is the only album on which her recording of the song appears.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby keith from ny » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:20 pm

Unfortunately if I'm sitting at the computer I'm usually editing music and not streaming it, but I wanted to thank you Russell for making all these great CDs available for a free trial. I think we have very similar tastes (nice to see another fan of "Too Tall" Marcia Ball in particular), and I really wish I could stream your site in my car -- it would beat the hell out of XM!
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:46 am

I love your site Russell, but I can't absorb it all....what about posting an album once a week?

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:52 am

marybeth wrote:I love your site Russell, but I can't absorb it all....what about posting an album once a week?

There may be a fair number that agree with you, I'm going to try to put a poll together and get visitor's thoughts on that issue as well as a few other things. Thanks for letting me know your thoughts.

keith from ny wrote:Unfortunately if I'm sitting at the computer I'm usually editing music and not streaming it . . ..

What? You can't edit one piece of music and listen to another piece of music at the same time? What about multi-tasking? Isn't that why we have two ears?

Actually, Keith's comment and MB's concern raise a similar issue. The amount of time available to the average person for listening to streamed music is limited. Anyway, I appreciate hearing from you guys.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:12 am

well, if you go over to last.fm, you'll see a lot of nutty people like me who listen to lots and lots of music on their computers! So it's still a good idea! But, like I said, I personally think it would make more of an impact if you spaced out the postings somewhat. You may want to look into last.fm yourself, Russell....

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:04 am

marybeth wrote:You may want to look into last.fm yourself, Russell....

I'm too busy posting an album every single day to have time to look into last.fm. If I were to get hooked on last.fm I'd probably have to limit album postings to once a week.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)