Album music

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby Turk » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:59 pm

Russell wrote:
marybeth wrote:You may want to look into last.fm yourself, Russell....

I'm too busy posting an album every single day to have time to look into last.fm. If I were to get hooked on last.fm I'd probably have to limit album postings to once a week.

Don't get distracted from your site!
I think it's the best thing I've seen (heard) in a long while. I agree with MB though that an album a day is a lot to get around to. I'm not complaining at all. Keep up the good work.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby outta » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:06 pm

Decisions, decisions. I'm glad they're not mine to make, because if musicbythealbum were my site, you guys would have to sift through a dozen albums a day ... :wink:

oh, wait, no you wouldn't ... :roll:

'cause I'd never be able to figure out how to post the first one!!! :shock:

Like the others who have commented, I admire and appreciate all your efforts, Russell! I've been loving it! New music, new artists ... geez, can you send a cafe' mocha through this contraption? I'd be in music-mocha latte' heaven!
"Tell me the truth, you sweet son of a bitch"
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:54 am

Are you getting any more traffic, by the way? I know I told a few people about it, who have also told a few people....
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:12 am

marybeth wrote:Are you getting any more traffic, by the way? I know I told a few people about it, who have also told a few people....

Compared to what it was early on, it has picked up quite a bit, but it remains very light. Traffic size isn't a concern of mine, but I may do a little seeding in the next few days and see what happens.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Russell » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:41 pm

I now have a poll where visitors can cast their vote their preference for album posting frequency. You do not need to be registered to vote (but you can only vote once). Go here to vote:

http://www.musicbythealbum.com/forum/site-discussion/poll-peferred-frequency-of-album-posts/page-1/
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby elcorazon » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:37 am

I'm not sure why you're shutting down the site, but if it's to do with too much debate over how often to post, I say just do whatever floats your boat, and only take into account the input we give you when it corresponds with your own instincts.
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby outta » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:02 am

elcorazon wrote:I'm not sure why you're shutting down the site, but if it's to do with too much debate over how often to post, I say just do whatever floats your boat, and only take into account the input we give you when it corresponds with your own instincts.

I totally agree with you! I was dissapointed to read that the site is closing. Had it not been for Russell, I would not have bought Mary Gauthier's' CD. I was unfamiliar with her music, but, thanks to Russell and his efforts, she has a new fan!

There's so much good music on musicbythealbum. My next purchase is going to be Crooked Still -- another group I was unfamiliar with until Russell made it available.

Whatever the reasons and outcome, Russell, thanks for all you've done to keep the artists and their music alive. It's all fading much too quickly. Your site kept me company many a lonely night!
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Russell » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:07 am

elcorazon wrote:I'm not sure why you're shutting down the site, but if it's to do with too much debate over how often to post, I say just do whatever floats your boat, and only take into account the input we give you when it corresponds with your own instincts.

The posting frequency was a minor issue. The reality is that the site was beginning to consume me too much. While I originally wanted the site to be bare bones with nothing on it but the albums, the next thing I knew I had added a forum and polls. When I started to think about adding a sidebar and links, I realized it had gotten out of hand. On top of that, I'm moving my home and re-directing my business while I need to have some time to enjoy my daughter's senior year before she heads off to college. I may come back to it in the not too distant future, but right now I need to break away.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:37 pm

Do what you have to do, Russell, but know that we appreciated it while it lasted. Thanks so very much!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:38 pm

I suppose some people already know that I wasn't quite able to abandon the site and have continued with random album posts. I guess I can't help myself. Anyway, I'll probably continue with no definite schedule and post only what I want when I want. I'm also going to be more selective and only post albums that I really enjoy after at least 5 listens from beginning to end and that I think a fair number of others might enjoy as well. In the meantime, I've eliminated the forum (there are enough of those and no one needs a new one) and the request form (very, very few used it anyway) and will reopen the standard comments for those who feel a desire to comment for whatever reason.

Anyway, recent posts include a couple of local singer/songwriters that are personal favorites of mine (low on politics, high on love songs) but are probably unknown by most people on this board:

Mike McClure (starts with a great cover of Van Morrison's "Into the Mystic"): http://www.musicbythealbum.com/2008/08/07/mike-mcclure-band-camelot-falling-2005/

Shake Russell (Justifiably known as the "Texas Troubadour"):
http://www.musicbythealbum.com/2008/08/08/shake-russell-let-love-be-true-1998/

Beatles/Kinks fans will probably enjoy Smash Palace from the South Jersey/Philly area - all songs are original with the exception of a remarkable cover of George Harrison' "I Want To Tell You". The lyrics are on the light side, but the sound is fresh and solid:

http://www.musicbythealbum.com/2008/08/13/smash-palace-everybody-comes-and-goes-2008/

The latest post is last week's release by Amy Ray (1/2 of The Indigo Girls). I love it:

http://www.musicbythealbum.com/2008/08/13/amy-ray-didnt-it-feel-kinder-2008/
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby outta » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:47 pm

I'm thanking my sixth sense, because I just knew you would not shut it down. It's easy to tell how much you love the music.

And a great big ~hug~ to you for keeping the music alive, doing what you love, and believing in something extraordinary ... like people, their music and their words.

Russell, when I told you that your music site was one of things that brought me comfort (or whatever I said in an earlier post) .... I wasn't kidding.

Do what you enjoy .... you're not the only one reaping the joy from it all.
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

P.S.

Postby outta » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:49 pm

~Thank You ~
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Turk » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:47 pm

I'm with Theresa on this. It's such a great and comforting site, and has introduced me to artists I'd not otherwise given a second (or first) thought to.
It SHOULD be a labor of love and not a chore. I say run it at your convenience and as time allows. The already visiting people will accept that and appreciate it. I also agree that the forum was not necessarily necessary.

~~Thank You~~
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:11 am

I've opened up all albums posted at http://www.musicbythealbum.com
for listening through the end of August.

Also, particularly in view of Patty's many references to Mavis Staples, I posted Mavis' We'll Never Turn Back album yesterday. If you haven't heard it, it is a truly powerful album. The aging in her voice fits the theme of the album and Ry Cooder's production perfectly. That album is posted here:

http://www.musicbythealbum.com/2008/08/20/mavis-staples-well-never-turn-back-2007/

Well, that's enough posts for me on this board for the next week or so.

Later!
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby outta » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:21 pm

I listened to this last night. I absolutely love, "We Shall Not Be Moved."

Great, Russell! Thanks so much!
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying