Album music

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby Russell » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:52 pm

It seems that Joan Baez's Day After Tomorrow, released Sep 9, was only the tip of an iceberg as far as good newly released music goes. After debating with myself about what to post next, I decided to post simultaneously four just-released albums that show these artists at the top of their game (well, at least IMO):

Grayson Capps - Rott 'N' Roll released Sep 9) - http://www.musicbythealbum.com/2008/09/17/grayson-capps-rott-n-roll-2008/

Joan Osborne - Little Wild One released Sep 9 - http://www.musicbythealbum.com/2008/09/17/mark-erelli-delivered-2008/

Mark Erelli - Delivered released Sep 16 - http://www.musicbythealbum.com/2008/09/17/mark-erelli-delivered-2008/

and, most importantly,

Dar Williams - Promised Land released Sep 9 - http://www.musicbythealbum.com/2008/09/17/dar-williams-promised-land-2008/
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby outta » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:26 am

Thanks to musicbythealbum.com, tonight, I purchased Mudcrutch.

Russell, thank-you for introducing their music to me! I absolutely luv, luv, luv the cd, and especially the song, "Shady Grove."

I dusted off my baton and put a routine together. Try dancing and twirling a baton to that song for an hour ... talk about about a work-out! I don't twirl the baton nearly as good as I used to, but, I didn't break anything, so I consider that an accomplishment of sorts !
"Tell me the truth, you sweet son of a bitch"
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:19 am

Russell, glad to see you discovered my friend Rachel. :-) Nice album, eh? I love the cover also of "Billy Joe".
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:08 am

marybeth wrote:Russell, glad to see you discovered my friend Rachel. :-) Nice album, eh? I love the cover also of "Billy Joe".

She seems to be yet another high-quality Americana artist that is appreciated much more in Europe than she is over here.

City of Refuge is indeed a very, very nice album. I'm always apprehensive when someone tries to cover a classic like "Ode to Billy Joe", but Rachel has created a version she can clearly call her own with her soulful vocals supported by a clever beat created by a mandolin/bass interplay. From an album standpoint, the beat of "Billy Joe" provides useful contrast in the middle of the stunning five-song sequence of "Angel Boy", "The Clearcut", "Ode to Billy Joe", "I Don't Want to Get Adjusted to This World", and "Under the Big Top" (a wistful waltz that I consider the most remarkable song on the album and an excellent album-closer - it makes me want to listen to the album again, and again, and again . . .).
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby mhwlng » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:44 am

Russell wrote:She seems to be yet another high-quality Americana artist that is appreciated much more in Europe than she is over here.

I went to see her when she was touring Holland in July and got 'City of Refuge' at the gig...

Her mandolin player is Zak Borden
I really liked his latest cd 'The Remedy Sessions' on which Rachel features...
It's doesn't have the same old-timey style as Rachel, though....

My favorite song is still 'Summer's Gone' from her previous album...
Official videoclip for that song :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkrKmqPdLFQ

(p.s. If anyone's interested, I also shot some video of Rachel & Zak (select high quality):
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... A50BFDABF3)

Marcel
mhwlng
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Postby outta » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:00 am

Hey Russell, I'm having some trouble listening to Ryan Bingham. If you tell me it's me, I won't be surprised. :roll: I can only hear the first song before it goes silent.

Anyway, it's an excellent album and that's so cool that you posted it!

Thanks for yet another great listening treasure ...
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Russell » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:15 am

outta wrote:Hey Russell, I'm having some trouble listening to Ryan Bingham. If you tell me it's me, I won't be surprised. :roll: I can only hear the first song before it goes silent.

Hmmm, I guess I need to add a contact page so that folks can report problems directly.

Anyway, I just checked it out on Internet Explorer, Firefox and Safari without any problem. I'm not sure that there is anything that you can be doing that would actually cause the problem. You may just be having a buffering problem. Try another album and see if the same problem occurs.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby outta » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:51 am

I didn't encounter a problem today, Russell. I can play any song on the album. Last night, I didn't think to check another album.

Thanks so much!
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby keith from ny » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Nice to see someone else likes Anne McCue, I've been a fan since I saw her warm up for Lucinda Williams in 2001. Just an FYI, contrary to one of the blurbs on the page for Koala Motel, it's actually Anne's third studio album and not her second (the first was Amazing Ordinary Things). She's also got a new acoustic album out (East of Electric) that I haven't heard yet.

Keep up the good work, Russell!
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:37 pm

outta wrote:I didn't encounter a problem today, Russell. I can play any song on the album.

FM (f...ing magic) at work again! Of course, who knows what tomorrow will bring.

keith from ny wrote:Nice to see someone else likes Anne McCue, I've been a fan since I saw her warm up for Lucinda Williams in 2001. Just an FYI, contrary to one of the blurbs on the page for Koala Motel, it's actually Anne's third studio album and not her second (the first was Amazing Ordinary Things). She's also got a new acoustic album out (East of Electric) that I haven't heard yet.

Thanks for the info, Keith! Yet another one of those little known debut albums. On a recent post on MBTA (I can't remember which one), I referred to an album as an artist's debut only to have to correct the post when I was told about the true debut. Sometimes an artist's official site won't even mention the artists actual debut album.

I learned about "East of Electric" just as I was putting the post together. I still need to check on it myself.

Anyway, it's interesting how so many reviewers comment on Anne's similarities with Lu. I just don't see (or hear) the similarities as that strong. I hear a lot more Sheryl Crow. But I suppose maybe that's just me. What I think sets Anne McCue apart from those two, though, is Anne's extraordinary guitar skills - those skills alone intrigue me about her new acoustic album.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby keith from ny » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:17 pm

Russell wrote:I learned about "East of Electric" just as I was putting the post together. I still need to check on it myself.

Anyway, it's interesting how so many reviewers comment on Anne's similarities with Lu. I just don't see (or hear) the similarities as that strong. I hear a lot more Sheryl Crow. But I suppose maybe that's just me. What I think sets Anne McCue apart from those two, though, is Anne's extraordinary guitar skills - those skills alone intrigue me about her new acoustic album.

I don't think she sounds anything at all like Lucinda, maybe a little like Sheryl Crow on occasion. And Anne really is a fantastic guitarist. She amazed me the first time I saw her play by ripping into a cover of Hendrix's Voodoo Child (just her and her Strat). Not only did that take a lot of guts, she totally pulled it off! I asked her after the show where she learned to play guitar like that. She just smiled and drawled "AwSTRAYlia!"

Her acoustic technique is really good too, I'm looking forward to hearing the new one. Here's my favorite song from her first album (not as good as Roll IMO but it has some good moments). Lucinda included it on her "favorite music" collection for Starbucks.

http://kbergend.tripod.com/TheseThings.mp3

I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:24 pm

I love the inclusion of the three bonus tracks with Children Running Through on your site, Russell.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:46 am

Turk wrote:I love the inclusion of the three bonus tracks with Children Running Through on your site, Russell.

And I have to thank Marybeth for sending me "Free" (my favorite Patty Griffin song) and "Up or Down" at about the same time she introduced me to this board.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:21 am

Well that certainly was my pleasure!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:03 pm

As some of you already know, I've finished off the year at musicbythealbum.com by posting 20 more albums, each of which will be active for the rest of 2008 (along with every other posted album that was released in 2008). To listen to a mix with a track from each of the 20 albums, click here. The newly-posted albums (with release year) are (click on album name to go directly to album post):

Enya - And Winter Came... (2008): All new tracks in a holiday spirit with her trademark multi-layered sound - but with the surprise of an actual electric guitar bridge on one track. Not my habit of posting albums by top-selling superstars, but I couldn't help myself.

Rodney Crowell - Sex & Gasoline (2008): IMO, Rodney's best. Some outstanding lyrics, but what else would you expect from the Houston Kid?

TV on the Radio - Dear Science (2008): Remarkable mix of lively sounds. Creative and often funky with great percussion. I love it, but it may not be to the taste of many folks on this board.

One for the Team - Build It Up (2008): Alt-rock with lots of fuzzy guitars, but with nice pop-style vocals that keep it from becoming grunge.

The Hacienda Brothers - Arizona Motel (2008): High quality musicianship with sounds reminiscent of Merle's Bakersfield with a touch of Willie and Waylon, Asleep at the Wheel and New Riders of the Purple Sage tossed in. No duds included.

Obi Best - Capades (2008): I particularly like singer-songwriters that avoid the cookie cutter coffee house sound through creative arrangements. Several of the albums in this bunch fall into this category. This is one of them - nice pop/jazz sounds from this smooth voiced woman.

Jonatha Brooke - The Works (2008): A collection of Woody Guthrie poems set to music by and performed by Jonatha. It's interesting, and quite enjoyable, to hear his words set in sounds other than the usual folk/country.

Yarn - Empty Pockets (2008): Thanks to Arlene for mentioning this one as a favorite for 2008. Very well performed and sung Americana with a soft touch of bluegrass. This one would make anyone feel good - well, at least I think it should.

Kasey Chambers & Shane Nicholson - Rattlin' Bones (2008): I hope no one wants to shoot me, but I've never taken to Kasey as a solo artist, but boy does she sound good when Shane is singing along. These two were made for each other. Awesome.

The Pierces - Thirteen Tales of Love and Revenge (2008): This sister act was recommended by my daughter, and I'm glad. Often clever lyrics ("Two can keep a secret if one of them is dead") put to some constantly changing and often unique pop sounds. That said, I'm like totally unable to relate to most of the lyrics. But, in spite of the name of one of the songs, there's nothing boring hear.

Sam Phillips - Don't Do Anything (2008): Thanks to Hugues for mentioning this one as a favorite for 2008. I had heard about Sam, but this is my first experience with one of her albums. It's too early right now, but I have the feeling this one will be a 2008 favorite of mine as well. Her voice stays in the pop mode while the music moves all over the place.

Elizabeth Willis - Elizabeth Willis (2008): This classically trained artist uses Yanni-like classical instrumentation and a remarkable voice to create some contemporary songs.

Monahans - Low Pining (2007): Thanks to Bill Ivester for mentioning this musically-adventurous group in the early days of his blog (see here). Heavy instrumentation drives this album.

Unbunny - Snow Tires (2004): Neil Young redux. Check it out. I know you'll see what I mean.

Tony Lucca - Canyon Songs (2004): Tony's a favorite of my niece. Nice folk sounds with good acoustic guitar.

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago (2008): Softly introspective sounds and lyrics for a quiet mood.

The Sadies - New Seasons (2007): Much more than Neko Case's backup band, these guys can play. Some reviewers have noted that Mudcrutch does a fairly good imitation of the Clarence White period of the Byrds. Not compared with what the Sadies do on this album. In fact, if Clarence were still alive, no one would be able to convince me that he doesn't play the lead on "What's Left Behind".

April Verch - Take Me Back (2006): A girl with a sweet voice and a fiddle. I suppose she'll have to live in the shadows of Allison Krauss - but then Allison has never done a cover of Julie Miller's "I Still Cry" (as far as I know).

Karine Polwart - This Earthly Spell (2008): Thanks again to Hugues. Folk sounds with a Scottish brogue. Lovely.

Sìgur Ròs - Takk... (2005): A sonic explosion from this Icelandic group that knows no boundaries. I learned about the group after seeing a trailer for the movie Slumdog Millionaire (excellent movie) and I wanted to know whose music was playing in the trailer. It turns out that none of their music is actually in the movie itself. Go figure. But at least I found some new music.
Last edited by Russell on Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)