Ryan Adams

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Ryan Adams

Postby Turk » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:26 am

Mr. ScottG surprised me with an RA mix he put together....very sweet, to say the least...

I've been scrambling to find any info about Ryan and found out that Gram Parsons' music has had a huge impact on him...and it shows....along with Dylan, Steve Earle and others.

My Winding Wheel
My Sweet Carolina (w/ Emmylou Harris...hello!)
When the Stars Go Blue
Harder Now That it's Over
La Cienega Just Smiled
The Rescue Blues
...just to name a few

Thanks, Scott...you rock!
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby ScottG » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:37 am

Glad you like it Turk.
Check out the Whiskeytown CD "Faithless Street." You'll love it.

If anyone else is interested in a Ryan Adams mix, let me know.
ScottG
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Re: Ryan Adams

Postby solesearching » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:54 pm

TurkRogers wrote:La Cienega Just Smiled

One of my favorite songs. Ryan Adams also does a really nice cover of Neil Young's Helpless with Gillian Welch (I believe). His song Sylvia Plath is also really great, I listen to it all the time. Gonna Make You Love Me is a really fun song, its really hard to not sing along with this song. I can't say that I like everything Ryan Adams does but, I do enjoy listening to a lot of his stuff.
How lovely and how doomed this connection of everyone with lungs.

Juliana Spahr
solesearching
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby beforesunrise » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:34 am

I had downloaded a concert of Ryan Adams with Gillian Welch and two tracks in particular have been getting constant play, the aforementioned "Helpless" and a cover of Gram Parsons' "Return of the Grievous Angel".
beforesunrise
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby TontoBronto » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:31 am

Another CD to check out might be the Gram Parsons tribute on which Whiskeytown does Gram's "Song For You".It always seemed to be the perfect blend of Ryan and Caitlin Cary sharing vocals/harmony.
That track happens to be followed by Gillian Welch and David Rawlings doing "Hickory Wind": that section of the CD always makes me stop whatever I'm doing and just LISTEN, generally hitting the "Replay" button as soon as they're done.
There was a televised performance of this tribute on Sessions at West 54th that's also highly recommended (I'll try to find my VHS copy if anyone would like a transfer). Emmylou Harris serves as Mistress of Ceremonies for the show as well as performing.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:45 am

Does anyone know if the 4 track Whiskeytown EP "In Your Wildest Dreams" is out of print??
It sells on eBay now and then, but I think it was a promo (or at least now out of print). I'm not sure whether the tracks ever appeared on a commercially released CD??

TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby notalone » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:25 am

I think it might have been a promo. I'll go dig it out and look.
Sometimes you wonder if your walking in the wrong direction.
notalone
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby libraryliz » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:40 am

I really like Ryan Adams. Not everything he does, but I have Heartbreaker and Gold...love them both. I was wondering what Whiskeytown cd to buy so I think I will buy "Faithless Street."
libraryliz
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby TontoBronto » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:02 am

notalone wrote:I think it might have been a promo. I'll go dig it out and look.

I think so too, but the tracks never did show up on a CD if I recall correctly????
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:06 am

libraryliz wrote:I really like Ryan Adams. Not everything he does, but I have Heartbreaker and Gold...love them both. I was wondering what Whiskeytown cd to buy so I think I will buy "Faithless Street."

Either "Faithless Street" or "Stranger's Almanac" are the two CD's I generally see recommended, so I don't think you'd go wrong with either one.
Personally, I prefer Ryan's work with Whiskeytown to his solo work.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:16 pm

Tonto Yoder wrote:There was a televised performance of this tribute on Sessions at West 54th that's also highly recommended (I'll try to find my VHS copy if anyone would like a transfer). Emmylou Harris serves as Mistress of Ceremonies for the show as well as performing.

That was one of the best "Sessions". It was great to see Chris Hillman and some of the other people who knew and played with Gram.
"Hickory Wind" was breathtaking as well as Sheryl Crow and Emmy doing "Juanita".
I still have that tape.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:26 pm

TurkRogers wrote:
That was one of the best "Sessions". It was great to see Chris Hillman and some of the other people who knew and played with Gram.
"Hickory Wind" was breathtaking as well as Sheryl Crow and Emmy doing "Juanita".

The only problem for me was Victoria Williams closing out the show (though eventually joined by everyone who had performed). I've just never been able to appreciate the quirkiness of her voice.

I wish they'd release DVD's of all those Sessions shows, esp. if they included bonus tracks.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Re: Ryan Adams

Postby Arlene » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:52 am

solesearching wrote: Ryan Adams also does a really nice cover of Neil Young's Helpless with Gillian Welch (I believe).

They may have done it together several times but "Helpless" with Ryan Adams, Gillian Welch, David Rawlings AND Nora Jones was performed on 7/14/03 during a show by Gillian Welch at NYC's Bowery Ballroom. (At that same show, Gill and Dave sang Townes Van Zandt's song "Lorretta" with Nora Jones and "To Be Young" with Ryan Adams, and David Rawlings' "solo" was Rod Stewart's "Stop Dragging My Heart Around.")

I'm told that a boot of this show exists :D , but that it is an audience recording with a lot of crowd noise. (Or so I'm told)
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:16 am

TurkRogers wrote:
Tonto Yoder wrote:There was a televised performance of this tribute on Sessions at West 54th that's also highly recommended (I'll try to find my VHS copy if anyone would like a transfer). Emmylou Harris serves as Mistress of Ceremonies for the show as well as performing.
That was one of the best "Sessions". It was great to see Chris Hillman and some of the other people who knew and played with Gram. "Hickory Wind" was breathtaking as well as Sheryl Crow and Emmy doing "Juanita". I still have that tape.

If anyone wants the Gram Parsons Tribute show on Sessions at West 54th Street on CD, PM me.

Arlene
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:07 pm

Arlene wrote:
If anyone wants the Gram Parsons Tribute show on Sessions at West 54th Street on CD, PM me.

Arlene

FWIW, there is a promo package that includes "Return of the Grievous Angel" (i.e. the studio version of the Gram tribute CD) AND has a bonus disc with Gram's original versions in the same order as they appear on the tribute CD. I saw it on eBay once but the price got very high.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Next

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)