REK or Guy Clark?

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

REK or Guy Clark?

Postby outta » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:57 pm

I really don't like starting new threads, but ....

I went through five pages on this forum to see if there is an REK or Guy Clark thread. That's about the length of my attention span. :roll: ha!

Are there any REK fans out there?

What about Guy Clark?
"Tell me the truth, you sweet son of a bitch"
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby keith from ny » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:42 pm

Sure, I really like them both! I think Guy Clark is one of the best songwriters ever, and Robert Earl Keen is certainly one of the most entertaining. I finally saw Guy play live in the front row of a little theater here in my home town with Arlene last year, he was great! In fact I have a recording of the show somewhere if anyone's interested. I've seen REK twice (including my first time at ACL in 2004), so I skipped his set at ACL Saturday to check out Erykah Badu. Kinda wish I'd gone to see REK instead, the girl has heart & pipes (& hair!) but the music is not really my thing.
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:05 pm

I like Guy Clark and have seen him live a couple of times. Sadly I have none of his music. Is REK Robert Earl Keen? I know the name but am unfamiliar with much of his music. I went to the Kerrville Folk Festival in Texas twice, he was there but I somehow missed him both times.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby outta » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:20 pm

Well, that's very cool you guys!

Yes, Turk, REK and Robert Earl Keen are one in the same. I looked up some utubes if you want to check him out. There should be more quality utubes of him out there, but, I haven't been able to find any.

One of my all time favorite songs is by REK: Mariano. It's a different kind of tear-jerker. He's an excellent storyteller and adds a lot of humor to his songs. He's very animated and I love his expressions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P37xPiRz ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbPRNWx4W0o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RArZGbD9 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa2RhjKs ... re=related
-- REK song performed by The Highwaymen

I have tickets to see both of them next month. I've never seen Guy Clark live, so Keith, your endorsement makes me all the more excited! Guy Clark, I think, is an underrated artist. I don't think he's gotten near the accolades that he deserves.

Ha! You guys like Guy Clark and REK (you'll like REK, Turk, as soon as you hear his music ... I'm sure of it!) !

That's so cool! 8)
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby outta » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:41 pm

This is kinda like serendipity at its best.

I've searched for a utube of REK's Mariano for months and months to no avial. Then tonight, as I'm looking for songs to post on this thread, there is a Mariano utube with artwork by none other than Diego Rivera.

I have a bit of fascination with Frida Kahlo, Rivera's wife. She died too young and went through hell to get there. Over the years, I've studied her life and the woman was simply amazing. As you probably know, she's was an artist, too. Her art is disturbing, but, she painted with a bleeding heart, mind and body.

Wow. Something so simple as a utube suddenly turned surreal. I have two items of hers from Mexico ... and while I know these things are just things and shouldn't be treasured .... I treasure them. I find them comforting in a weird kind of way. She was such a fighter.

So, here's a toast to REK utubes, Diego's Paintings, and last but not least, Frida Kahlo.

http://www.answers.com/topic/frida-kahlo
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:20 am

Wasn't there a movie about her a few years back? Yeah, it seemed like a sad and intense life.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby outta » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:53 am

Yes, in 2002 Salma Hayek played the role of Frida. It was an excellent movie and seemed to follow her life pretty accurately.
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Russell » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:43 pm

outta wrote:Yes, in 2002 Salma Hayek played the role of Frida. It was an excellent movie and seemed to follow her life pretty accurately.

Yes, and REK and Guy Clark combined to do the soundtrack for the movie. Well, maybe not, but getting back to the subject of this thread . . .

I'm not that big a fan of Guy Clark as a performer, but he has few peers when it comes to songwriting and seeing and hearing him perform his own songs is always fun.

On the other hand, I'm a big fan of Bobby Earle as a performer. But I'm a huge fan of his as a songwriter. I think his sense of humor and his skills as an entertainer cause him to be woefully underrated as a songwriter. "Mariano" is a beautifully crafted song, but he has many, many more. I can't think of another song that creates a sense of quiet rejuvenation as well as "Feelin' Good Again" or the sense of wasted youth in "Travelin' Light":

You've been standin' on the corner for a thousand nights
It's the slowest corner known to man
Watchin' strange faces passin' 'neath the lights
With a bottle wavin' in your hand
You got just enough money for some nothin' to go
It ain't exactly what you planned
So lonesome that you can't even say hello
And no one seems to understand

So you're a mixed up kid, come on and join the crowd
The ones that only fit where they're not allowed
Out on the streets and you're feelin' blue
Travelin' light
With a hole in your soul where the wind blows through
A hole in your soul where the wind blows through

You wandered away from your childhood home
Nobody cared to trace the tracks you laid
You traveled by night and you traveled alone
Came to rest at a penny arcade
Well, the last shots over on a Saturday night
You wake up in the beam of a cop's flashlight
He asks you who you are as if you knew or you cared
He asks you where you live and you say nowhere

Travelin' light

I don't know where I got it but, I got it the same
It's a feelin' that'll rip you apart
It follows me around like a part of my name
Like I'm born with a time bomb instead of a heart

Travelin' light

Anyway, thanks Theresa for mentioning Guy and Bobby. It's good to think about them again. Sometimes as I search to find new music, I forget to check back enough on the music that I already love.

Now I guess I need to rent that Salma Hayak movie.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby outta » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:09 pm

Yes, I can get off track and topic quite easily! REK and Diego Rivera seemed relative after the discovery of the Mariano utube. I was pretty excited!

Russell, "Travelin' Light" is a beautiful one. I think the words broadly resonate with many people as we reflect upon our youth. So, THANK YOU, for reminding me how very grateful I am to have survived those times when it felt like there was a hole in my soul where the wind blew threw.

Now, did I just take this off topic ... again? Maybe, but ya know what? I'm smiling and thankful for this moment filled with peace, love and music!
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby elcorazon » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:43 am

I like both artists, but especially LOVE Guy Clark, as a writer and as a performer. His album "Old Friends" ranks among my all-time favorites and he's a blast and a funny guy to see on stage. REK kinda gets old for me after awhile, but I do dig him in small doses.
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby ScottG » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:46 pm

Just so ya know... Travelin' Light is a Peter Case song.
David Hidalgo of Los Lobos plays a wonderfully melodic lead guitar on it.
"Indifferent, but distanced perfectly
Projected endlessly, it’s so FUCKING beautiful!!!"
ScottG
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby outta » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:20 pm

Thanks, Scott! I didn't know that.

Travelin' Light
Written by: Peter Case & Bob Neuwirth
Artist: Robert Earl Keen
CD: Walking Distance

elcorazon, that's very cool that you like Guy Clark! Reading the responses here about him are refreshing. I have found that a lot of people aren't familiar with him or his music.

Kinda like Nancy Griffin. The concert tonight was great, but leading up to it, I was amazed at how many people had never heard of her.

There's many artists that I'm unfamiliar with, too. That's one of the many benefits of participating on a music board.

:)
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Russell » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:32 pm

ScottG wrote:Just so ya know... Travelin' Light is a Peter Case song.
David Hidalgo of Los Lobos plays a wonderfully melodic lead guitar on it.

Well, now, I stand corrected. :? I may need to reconsider all that I said. It sort of reminds me of how James McMurtry has to repeatedly point out in his shows that it was he, and not REK, that wrote Levelland.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby elcorazon » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:25 am

outta wrote:Thanks, Scott! I didn't know that.

Travelin' Light
Written by: Peter Case & Bob Neuwirth
Artist: Robert Earl Keen
CD: Walking Distance

elcorazon, that's very cool that you like Guy Clark! Reading the responses here about him are refreshing. I have found that a lot of people aren't familiar with him or his music.

Kinda like Nancy Griffin. The concert tonight was great, but leading up to it, I was amazed at how many people had never heard of her.

There's many artists that I'm unfamiliar with, too. That's one of the many benefits of participating on a music board.

:)

Her name's Nanci Griffith, by the way. I used to a huge fan of hers and slowly got tired of her. I just put on one of her cd's the other day, though, and really enjoyed it. She was the first to cover the big hit, "From a Distance" by the way, and her version is still the only one I can stomach.
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby outta » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:39 pm

Yes, and I now have a t-shirt to prove it! Sometimes, I interchange Nanci with Patty. :roll: Must have something to do with the last name.

To me, Nanci has one of those voices that can get annoying in large doses (I hear this about Patty, too, although I disagree). I think Nanci is a great songwriter. Initially, I'm drawn to the words moreso than the melody.
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)