A. A. Bondy

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

A. A. Bondy

Postby Russell » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:42 pm

This is yet another new discovery for me. Running a search of this board indicates that the only mention of him has been as part of the lineup for last month's ACL Festival. Since none of the attendees posting here indicated that he or she had either seen him there or even had an interest in seeing him, I imagine it's fair to conclude he may be new for most others here as well.

Anyway, he apparently was a member of a much-hyped but otherwise unsuccessful Nirvana-type band from Alabama called "Verbana", which I know zero about. He released a solo album last year that got consistently good reviews. It was re-released on a better known label last Spring and is slowly getting more and more attention. I've listened to the album many times now - I thought it was outstanding musically on the first listen, but I like it even better now that I've listened to the lyrics.

Interestingly, one reviewer refers to him as a "tortured soul". Hmmm, I seem to remember a reviewer using that same phrase to refer to another musician we all know and love. The album has a high level of spiritual content similar to that of Buddy Miller's Universal United House of Prayer, and, as one reviewer notes: "American Hearts discusses spirituality in terms followers and non-believers can easily discuss".

You can check out the entire album at http://www.musicbythealbum.com/2008/10/12/a-a-bondy-american-hearts-2007/

Or, if you don't have time for that, you can view the following video of an interesting live performance of the somewhat anthemic (is that a word?) title song. Although the party atmosphere of the video is fun, the strength of the song, simple as it might be, comes across better in the album (I've posted the lyrics below the video):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p6gj8M4Fqu0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p6gj8M4Fqu0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

American Hearts
by A. A. Bondy

we were raised by wolves
and we are still wild
and we howl when the troubled wind blows
and in the tv's blue light
bad sins will lie
everywhere
just going down slow

so don't tread on me
for i am your brother
i was born with an american heart

and don't tread on her
for she is your sister
she was born with an american heart

and all the people you meet
down in the streets
may be good but they don't wanna know
so they cover their eyes
for who wants to be sad
life is sweet at the bottom of the sea

and don't tread on me
for i am your brother

and don't tread on her
for she is your sister

and the mothers will cry
fathers stay up all night
with the worry that goes to the bones
and if your god makes war
then he's no god i know
cause christ would not send boys to die

and don't tread on me
for i am your brother

and don't tread on her
for she is your sister

don't you get low as hell
when the peace dove is filled
by a man with the blackest of minds
and above the den
let the sighing begin
as we're bound for the longest of days

so don't tread on me
for i am your brother

and don't tread on her
for she is your sister
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby outta » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:18 pm

Russell, I listened to this on musicbythealbum.com and thought it was great! I look forward to hearing it again! thanks!
"Tell me the truth, you sweet son of a bitch"
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)