john prine

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

john prine

Postby bivester » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:15 pm

indiana university auditorium/bloomington (10.15.2008)

(more pics on my picasa page)

In Over the Rhine’s song, “If A song Could Be President,” they give a shout out to their musical heroes and inspirations, they refer to John Prine as someone who can make you “laugh and cry.” Last night in Bloomington, I saw John Prine and as always, he didn’t short us on highlights, all worthy of tear or laughs, or at times both in the same song.

He performed such stunners as; Paradise (aka Muhlenberg County), All The Best, Lake Marie, That’s the Way That the World Goes ‘Round, Sam Stone and probably his most recognizable song (made famous by Bonnie Raitt) Angel From Montgomery along with other classics from his deep, deep catalog. The only thing missing was two of my favorites; Souvenirs and Your Flag Decal Won’t Get You Into Heaven Anymore, but I'm not complaining, we did get the rarely played Blue Umbrella, which was requested (and dedicated to) someone who sent him an e-mail just before he left the hotel. she simply signed it as “Mom from Indiana.” For most of the show he was (as usual) accompanied by guitarist Jason Wilber and bassist Dave Jaques, both were impeccable and neither played an extraneous note. The middle third of the show was a beautiful acoustic solo set.

Most everyone in the IU Auditorium was intimately familiar with the music, it was clearly “his audience,” but it never felt like a “nostalgia” act, his music is timeless; they keep revealing secrets, you hear something new no matter how many times you’ve heard them.

Jeffery Lee Puckett (a Louisville music critic) wrote about Prine: “Prine’s secret has never been complicated. He’s a good listener and a keen observer, but, more important, he can tell a story. His best songs are constructed exquisitely and delivered with absolute certainty; you couldn’t change a line or detail without the rest of the song suffering. When you hear a classic Prine song, you know that you’re hearing the truth. It’s usually a universal truth told through specific stories, as when loneliness, desire and the human need to connect becomes “Donald and Lydia,” and it’s often a truth you feel as much as hear.”

What a show last night. Just amazing. Awesome.

It is just sheer joy to watch this man perform.
Last edited by bivester on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"well, i'll bet you can't pronounce 'b-a-n-g-o-r' correctly any better than i can say 'louisville'... " ~patty to me after the kentucky theatre show

"and i'm so twitterpated about bill, i just tuned the wrong guitar...i said twitterpated, that's what i said." ~karin bergquist @ cst | dayton (sat | 04.09.2005)

bivester:concert photographs
bivester
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby outta » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:31 pm

Sounds like a great time ... and looks like a great time! Fantastic photo's! One might come to the conclusion you do this for a living!

I haven't seen John Prine in concert ... yet. My favorite song by him is Angel From Montgomery. A friend told me -- and I have no idea if this is true -- that he wrote that song in the parking lot of a Montgomery Wards department store.

Every line in that song is solid -- "there's flies in the kitchen, I can hear them there a buzzin' ..."

but, my favorite, and perhaps one of my all time favorites of any line in any song is, "How in the hell can a person go to work in the morning, and come home in the evening, and have nothing to say?" It took years to understand the answer to that question.

Luv, luv, luv this song. Occasionally, I get to sing this with a couple of friends and I sing the harmony.

This song is about as good as it gets ... and I love the JP and BR version.

All The Best, Lake Marie, Sam Stone ... classics!

Glad you had such a good time!
"Tell me the truth, you sweet son of a bitch"
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby outta » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:34 pm

Oh, I clicked on your catalog ...

geez, I wanna be you for a night!
"Tell me the truth, you sweet son of a bitch"
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby bivester » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:26 pm

thanks for the nice words.

i'm with you on "angel from montgomery," it is damn near a perfect song. he is such an amazing wordsmith. there are many of those little prolific lines buried in his songs. angel from montgomery and sam stone were a part of his solo set. you could have heard a pin drop. stunning is the only word that comes to mind.
"well, i'll bet you can't pronounce 'b-a-n-g-o-r' correctly any better than i can say 'louisville'... " ~patty to me after the kentucky theatre show

"and i'm so twitterpated about bill, i just tuned the wrong guitar...i said twitterpated, that's what i said." ~karin bergquist @ cst | dayton (sat | 04.09.2005)

bivester
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:36 pm

Great review, Bill.
I know a piece of that feeling of which you speak. I had the pleasure of seeing Prine about a year and a half ago. Patty opened the show but the night and crowd clearly belonged to John. I was pleased and priviledged to hear him perform most of the songs you mentioned. He's a true legend.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:57 pm

FWIW, the show is being torrented on Dimeadozen:
John Prine
11/15/2008
Indiana University Auditorium
Bloomington, IN

Disc 1:

1. Spanish Pipedream
2. Picture Show
3. Six O'Clock News
4. Far From Me
5. Grandpa Was A Carpenter
6. Fish And Whistle
7. Glory Of True Love
8. All The Best
9. Angel From Montgomery (w/false start)
10. Long Monday (solo)
11. Bottomless Lake (solo)
12. Blue Umbrella (solo)
13. Dear Abby (solo)

Disc 2:

1. That's The Way That The World Goes 'Round (solo)
2. Sam Stone (starts off solo then band returns)
3. Bear Creek*
4. That's Alright By Me*
5. She Is My Everything*
6. Ain't Hurting Nobody*
7. Hello In There* (John flubs the beginning)
8. Lake Marie*
9. encore/crowd noise
10. Storm Windows*
11. Paradise*\\

John Prine: vocals, acoustic & electric guitars
Jason Wilber: electric guitar, mandolin, harmonica
Dave Jacques: electric & double bass

Please note: this is ONLY a heads up about the torrent, not an offer to supply copies.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby bivester » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:15 am

Turk wrote: He's a true legend.

as a friend of mine said..."In music, we used to have 'American Legends,' these days it seems we have 'American Idols.' "

thank god a few of those legends are still out there alive and kicking.

bivester
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby ScottG » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:09 pm

Bill, those photos of John are fantastic! Great great job.
"Indifferent, but distanced perfectly
Projected endlessly, it’s so FUCKING beautiful!!!"
ScottG
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby becmurr » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:23 pm

Saw him just about a year ago-for the first time. We loved him, he put on such a wonderful show....

I love love love your pictures & it sounds like you had a great night!!
becmurr
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Rongrittz » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:49 pm

Jeffrey Foucault's next CD is going to be all John Prine covers, called "Shoot the Moon Right Between the Eyes." Should be great, if Jeffrey's YouTube video of "Billy the Bum" is any indication!
Rongrittz
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Postby Browncoat » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:02 pm

You can download Jeff's cover of "Storm Windows" from the upcoming album here. It's pretty fantastic.
Subtly eccentric...
Browncoat
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)