Top 5 Songs of the Year

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Top 5 Songs of the Year

Postby sfboy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:34 pm

Since I'm obsessed with lists, I thought I'd start another one. What are your top 5 songs of 2008? Anyone want a go at it? Here are mine.

1. Acid Tongue Jenny Lewis
This is the most beautifully rendered songs I think I've ever heard. The melody is just beautiful and the arrangement is brilliant. It's one of those song I can listen to again and again.

2. Le Ballet d'Or Counting Crows
I love the way this songs morphs from a pretty, melodic major key melody to a minor key, haunting lament, and then back again. It's wonderful.

3. Treason Lindsey Buckingham
I never, ever thought I'd hear LB do a song that's even vaguely political. He said in concert that this one is both about personal betrayal and political betrayal (you can take that reference however you'd like to take it!). It's such a beautiful melody and great production. It sounds like what Fleetwood Mac might sound like if they had all been born 30 years later and were making Rumours today.

4. Buzzer Dar Williams
Who but Dar could come up with a song about one of the people involved in that famous experiment in which people were told that they were administering shocks to others and ended up listening to the people running the experiment and turning up the voltage even though they heard screams. And who but Dar could make that person sympathetic instead of the object of scorn?

5. Scared at Night Kathleen Edwards
Usually I like Kathleen's rockers more than her softer songs, but this one is a real gem. It's another of those songs that I could listen to multiple times and not get bored.

runners up:
Goodbye and How Many Miles by the Waifs
Cologne by Dolly Parton
What's Been Going On by Amos Lee
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby outta » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:44 pm

Thanks to your endorsement, I just watched several versions of Acid Tongue by Jenny Lewis on utube. Beatiful, beautiful song!
"Tell me the truth, you sweet son of a bitch"
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Hugues » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:54 am

Top 10 songs

1. Lonely Drifter Karen - La Hierba canta
2. Laura Marling - New Romantic
3. Jolie Holland - Mexico City
4. Amy Rigby - A Taste of the Keys
5. Sam Phillips - Don't Do Anything