A Music 'n' Money Question

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

$$$ :)

Postby Gretzky » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:36 am

doesn't really matter about who gets paid what, or the way the pie is sliced, although i can appreciate the concern if forking over two or three hundred to experience a band of living legendary status.

it's all about how the music transcends, and evolves. i guess. my main concern with the legends tour circuit is that i'll be surrounded by fans who expect to hear live renderings of the radio staples, because that's what they've been driving around listening to for years, and that's what they paid their good money to hear.

i paid $150 to sit ten feet in front of jerry garcia back in 1991, and still have no regrets. in the end, you'll do what feels right, knowing if it isn't exactly right, it'll still feel good.

but are the legends on stage serving the music, or serving the audience? well, that's another concern. and i think, sometimes, the more you sacrifice for a show, the better that show may be, even if pedestrian, or note for rote.

if i were on a budget in 2009, i'd spend it all on small bars and open mics, and resist the temptations of a legendary event. and that budget will include six or seven pearl jam shows, the good lord willing.

and i love fleetwood mac, too. i've never seen them live, and i doubt i ever will. my jaw will be forever dropped at lindsay's fret prowess and dexterity. i have a beautiful, glossy tango in the night poster hanging up in my attic somewhere.

so, in summary.

what good is money if you don't spend it?
step up and bless the mic
Gretzky
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Previous

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)