Star Anna

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Star Anna

Postby Russell » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:51 pm

I heard her for the first time earlier today She claims TP and the Heartbreakers as her biggest influence, but seems to me to be something of a cross between Lucinda Williams and Kathleen Edwards, neither of whom is listed as an influence. I've listened to her album (released last March) and I am VERY impressed. If you don't already know about her (I suspect many do), check her out:

Star Anna Official Site
Star Anna Official MySpace Page

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jSNb9qVI5Nk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jSNb9qVI5Nk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Russell » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:57 pm

Review from TwangNation.com

Now this is how it’s done. Ellensburg, Washington based Star Anna Krogstie’s debut release, “Crooked Path” (the English translation of her Norwegian surname) delivers some of the finest work in alternative country today.

Echoing the folky remoteness of Cat Power (Chan Marshall), the rustic revivalism of Gillian Welch, and just a grain of Neko Case style Southern-gothic smoldering, Star Anna wears her influences proudly but makes her own mark on the material here.

Her band the Laughing Dogs lay down adept and solid sounds that moves from the alt.country of “If Wishes Were Horses” , “Black Cat Blues” to the Appalachian-style raved-up title song. “Places We Exist” takes page from the Van Morrison book of swinging pop-folk and “Space Beneath The Door” grooves along with a soft blues-funk that belies the love don’t live here no more message of the song. One of the finest songs in a whole line of fine songs is the slow-burning “No Surprise” featuring a weeping bottle-neck accompaniment is as haunting as anything done by the great Patsy Cline and is guaranteed to break your heart and make you reach for the bottle.

Sure the sound moves across a sonic landscape, but Star Anna pulls it all together with her lilting passionate voice. This is one of the finest debut releases it has been my pleasure to hear.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Russell » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:34 pm

The song that brought my attention to Star Anna and her album is "Wait", the last track on the album and an awesome closer. I think it's definitely worth a listen, so I've uploaded it: Click here to listen and enjoy.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby outta » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:17 pm

Russell, last night I listened to all of the songs on Star Anna's website. I enjoyed it enough to listen to a couple of the songs more than once!

Wait ... I love it. Thanks for posting! I'll be listening to it more than once! 8)
"Tell me the truth, you sweet son of a bitch"
Browncoat
outta
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby PCStuff » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:28 am

Great suggestion. Love samples I have heard, so off to get a CD from her. Thanks!

Edit: She only has this one Crooked Path CD, correct?
PCStuff
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:52 pm

Russell wrote:The song that brought my attention to Star Anna and her album is "Wait", the last track on the album and an awesome closer. I think it's definitely worth a listen, so I've uploaded it: Click here to listen and enjoy.

I love this. Thanks, Russell.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Russell » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:26 pm

This young woman is GOOD. Here's her latest album:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://www.lala.com/external/flash/PlaylistWidget.swf" id="lalaAlbumEmbed" width="300" height="254"><param name="movie" value="http://www.lala.com/external/flash/PlaylistWidget.swf"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><param name="flashvars" value="albumId=2306124486130936703&host=www.lala.com&partnerId=memberalbum"><embed id="lalaAlbumEmbed" name="lalaAlbumEmbed" src="http://www.lala.com/external/flash/PlaylistWidget.swf" width="300" height="254" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" wmode="transparent" allowNetworking="all" allowScriptAccess="always" flashvars="albumId=2306124486130936703&host=www.lala.com&partnerId=memberalbum"></embed></object>
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby PCStuff » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:19 am

Russell, I got her first CD "Crooked Path" and love it. Her new one that you mentioned is not available at Amazon, but I'm wondering why do they list this as a "Single" with 12 songs?

Thanks
PCStuff
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Russell » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:26 am

That is pretty strange, but it appears that you can only buy the "single" mp3 tracks on that particular page. You have to go to a different page to buy the full mp3 album. If you are interested in the mp3 album, it's 50 cents less at lala.com. It looks like the CD is only available at Star's website.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby PCStuff » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:12 pm

OK, just ordered it from her site. I don't like the quality of MP3's being sold, so would rather get CD's and rip as my higher quality EAC VBR secure mode protocol. Thanks again, Russell.
PCStuff
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)