Grateful Dead tribute at Lincoln Center

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Grateful Dead tribute at Lincoln Center

Postby keith from ny » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:35 am

So, last night my son Chris and I had tickets to see a wonderful lineup of musicians (Larry Campbell and Teresa Williams, Jim Lauderdale, Catherine Russell and most of Ollabelle) perform songs from the classic albums Workingman's Dead and American Beauty at the acoustically outstanding Allen Room at Lincoln Center. Not a bad night out to start with! Chris works in the city, so I took the train in from my office and we grabbed some BBQ for dinner and headed to Columbus Circle where the venue is located in a beautiful room overlooking Central Park in the Time/Warner building. We had some time to kill before the concert, so we stopped in at the Borders store there to do a little browsing. After a few minutes, I hear what sounds like someone singing "Wild Thing" on the other side of the store, and I'm thinking "Wow, that's a pretty good imitation of Chip Taylor." So I wander over in that direction, and there's a little stage set up with a few dozen chairs in front of it, and there on the stage is Chip Taylor! And then Chip Taylor introduces the guy on guitar standing next to him, and it's John Plantania! Turns out Chip has a new book out about his life and his adventures with Carrie Rodriguez and is doing a little bookstore tour to support it and I arrived just as he's winding up his set. So I buy a copy of his book and introduce myself to him and John (who played on Moondance among other classic albums and is one of my favorite guitarists ever) and tell him I'm honored to meet him and how I was here for the Dead tribute show and never expected to see him here and how nobody can write songs for Carrie like he can, and he thanks me and signs my book and tells me to say hi to Larry Campbell and Jim Lauderdale for him!

The Dead tribute concert was fantastic, we had 2nd row center seats looking straight down 59th street all lit up behind Catherine Russell. The song arrangements ranged from the sublime to ... well, the not quite so sublime IMO, but they were all pretty interesting and it was wonderful to see these classic songs played with the spirit of reverence they deserve. This was the set list:

Friend of the Devil
Sugar Magnolia
Candyman
New Speedway Boogie (wonderful stripped down arrangement with just mandolin, upright bass and Catherine Russell on vocal)
Till the Morning Comes
Brokedown Palace
Black Peter (killer fast bluegrass-style arrangement)
Operator (just Larry on guitar and Catherine on mandolin and vocal)
Ripple
Cumberland Blues (some great riff trading between Larry on guitar and Glen Patscha on piano)
Box of Rain (the gospel version!)
Attics of my Life (beautiful performance with Larry, Teresa and Catherine singing and just Larry playing arpeggios on guitar as accompaniment)
Truckin'
(encore)
Deal (not from either of those albums, but a nice surprise!)

The last two numbers were totally rockin' and had the sedate Lincoln Center crowd almost rowdy!

I read most of Chip's book on the train back to Port Washington, it's actually quite interesting (I didn't know he's Jon Voight's brother, for starters) and features some killer photos of Carrie. Image

Now and then I really do Image NY! Image
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:55 am

Wow, you lucky dog, Keith! That sounds great.

So, you think Carrie's own efforts are weaker than with Chip? I haven't actually heard her latest CD. I guess this belongs in another thread....[/u][/list]
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:43 am

marybeth wrote:So, you think Carrie's own efforts are weaker than with Chip? I haven't actually heard her latest CD. I guess this belongs in another thread....[/u][/list]

No, I just don't like her 2nd solo CD as much as the first (most of which Chip wrote for or with her).
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)