gillian Welch

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

gillian Welch

Postby gala002 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:41 pm

Somebody heard about their possible new album?

I don"t know much about those two guys and I'd like to hear more. For me, they are very special singers.
gala002
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby marybeth » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:26 am

Wow, it's hard to believe we didn't already have a Gillian Welch/David Rawlings thread . I guess because it's been so incredibly long since she's come out with an album. I heard an interview with her at Newport last summer where she said they were working on it. Until then, have you tried "Revival" or (Time the)"Revelator"? I have to say, the very best thing I have from them is a live performance at Telluride.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby gala002 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:19 am

Thanks Marybeth for answering. I already have their 4 CDs and I just recieved their DVD a month ago. I also have a few video and audio boots but not the Telluride. When was it?
gala002
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby marybeth » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:26 am

I'm not sure, I don't even remember who sent it to me....(see what a bad trader I am!) But PM me about getting hold of it!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Rongrittz » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:17 pm

While I've liked each of their CDs less and less than the one before -- to the point where, sadly, I'm not even much of a fan anymore -- I can easily come right out and say that "Revival" is damn near a perfect album. One of my all-time top ten favorites, and one of the best debut records by any artist I can think of.
Rongrittz
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Postby gala002 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:47 pm

I agree with you Rongrettz, except that on each CD, they have a couple of beautiful songs even if the one before was better. I think that they don't have enough songs of their own to satisfied their fans.
gala002
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby lily » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:10 am

If it's the Telluride I think it is, it was 2005 - and a fantastic show. They did a set in the park too - like a question and answer, songwriting session with Emmylou as well.

I hope they do do something new, and they have been if you could the David Rawlings Machine stuff, which is kinda sorta there... but hopefully soon.
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby lily » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:17 pm

Gil said last night that she was "trying to work on some new songs for a new album" - which to me sounds like they might could've not started on such a thing just yet. Still.

They did play a few newer-ish songs, but nothing that you haven't heard if you've heard any recent boots.

http://www.uncommonmusic.org/2009/conce ... s-fest-co/
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:50 pm

lily wrote:Gil said last night that she was "trying to work on some new songs for a new album" - which to me sounds like they might could've not started on such a thing just yet. Still.

They did play a few newer-ish songs, but nothing that you haven't heard if you've heard any recent boots.

http://www.uncommonmusic.org/2009/conce ... s-fest-co/

FYI. I saw the Dave Rawlings Machine as part of the Big Surprise Tour earlier this month and according to Dave's comments at the show, Gillian and Dave have already recorded an album's worth of songs to be released under the the billing of Dave Rawlings Machine. They've also recorded some songs for a new Gillian Welch album but have more to record that are already written. So, while I'll believe it when I actually see it, it looks like we can look forward to getting two separate albums from the duo within the next year.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby lily » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:39 pm

Good to know, that'd be very exciting.
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Turk » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:10 pm

I have been really yearning for a new release. I wish they'd get the lead out.
Meanwhile, there is a decent concert of the duo from the Newport Festival at the NPR site.

http://www.npr.mobi/templates/story/sto ... =111335072
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:54 am

Turk wrote:I have been really yearning for a new release. I wish they'd get the lead out.
Meanwhile, there is a decent concert of the duo from the Newport Festival at the NPR site.

http://www.npr.mobi/templates/story/sto ... =111335072

There's also a separate set from Newport I liked a lot that they performed as Dave Rawlings Machine:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =111389535
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:42 am

Arlene wrote:.......according to Dave's comments at the show, Gillian and Dave have already recorded an album's worth of songs to be released under the the billing of Dave Rawlings Machine. ....

From the Broken Wave website, news that there will be a DRM album Nov. 17th:
The Dave Rawlings Machine started "accidentally," according to Gillian Welch's longtime musical partner, as a vehicle to semi-anonymously road test some new material. But with the Nov. 17 release of "A Friend of a Friend," Rawlings will take the spotlight in his own right.
"You start out singing other people's songs 'cause you love them, and at some point you start to feel like you'd like to sing some of your own, I think that happens to most people. It's just happening to me much later."
Rawlings says.

Rawlings produced "A Friend of a Friend" himself, recording it earlier this year at RCA Studio B in Nashville. Welch appears on eight of the nine tracks (and co-wrote five of them), while other players include keyboardist Benmont Tench from Tom Petty's Heartbreakers, keyboardist Nathaniel Wilcott of Bright Eyes and members of Old Crowe Medicne Show, whose 2006 album "Big Iron World" was produced by Rawlings.

Among the songs are a version of "To Be Young (Is to Be Sad, Is to Be High)" that Rawlings co-wrote with Ryan Adams' for the latter's "Heartbreaker" album, a Rawlings-Welch composition called "It's Too Easy" that will appear on the latter's album in "a very different version" and a pairing of Bright Eyes' "Method Acting" with Neil Young's "Cortez the Killer" that Rawlings says was inspired during a tour he did with Conor Oberst and company in Mike Mogis' stead a couple of years back.

"One of the songs we played every night was 'Method Acting,' which was always a song I responded to," Rawlings recalls. "I found myself sitting on a couch a year later, strumming it...and at some point I realized it went into 'Cortez the Killer,' which was a really important song for me when I was a teenager. I have a really emotional attachment to both of those songs, so it's nice to have versions of them out there. It gives me a reason to sing them."

Rawlings says Oberst also suggested the "A Friend of a Friend" title for the project. "I thought it was nice and appropriate," Rawlings notes, "because so many people I've worked with over the years and played music with are represented in one way or another on the record." Rawlings plans to tour to support the album, with Southeast and Midwest dates in late November and December and a West Coast run in 2010. The Machine lineup will feature Welch and three members of Old Crow Medicine Show -- fiddler Ketch Secor, who co-wrote the track "I Hear Them All," guitarist Willie Watson and bassist Morgan Jahnig.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:06 am

Bruce-

Thanks for that great news! You've made my day!
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:30 am

Thanks for that news, Bruce.
And thanks to Arlene for the NPR link. I'm listening again today in anticipation of the new record.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Next

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)