Bit of Beatles trivia.....Mr Kite

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Bit of Beatles trivia.....Mr Kite

Postby TontoBronto » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:41 am

A roundabout Google voyage led from the lyrics of Cockney Rebel's song "The Ritz" to Pablo Fanque to a Beatles-related circus poster:

Supposedly, John Lennon bought a copy of this circus poster and the line "For the Benefit of Mr. Kite" was the catalyst for the song.
Maybe this is well-known trivia for Beatles devotees, but it's new info for ME (and maybe for others?).

BTW, there's a Beatles box set of demos that features the abandoned song "For the Benefit of Mr. J. Henderson". :wink:
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:58 am

BTW, there's an even MORE obscure poster that was catalyst for a song by The Ruttles--

ImageImage
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby ScottG » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:38 am

I've heard that about the poster but never got more than a glance at it during Beatles documentarys.
"Indifferent, but distanced perfectly
Projected endlessly, it’s so FUCKING beautiful!!!"
ScottG
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Hugues » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:02 pm

I watched a documentary on Sgt. Pepper on TV once and they told about that, and there's a picture of John holding and showing this poster. The whole song is made with the words written in this poster, I think.
Hugues
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Our Kid » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:32 pm

Yeah, this is totally the poster. The Anthology documentary has a shot of John at his home in Weybridge next to the poster.

Amazing track...
"You could write a song about some kind of emotional problem you are having, but it would not be a good song, in my eyes, until it went through a period of sensitivity to a moment of clarity. Without that moment of clarity to contribute to the song, it's just complaining."

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)