ticket prices

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

ticket prices

Postby sfboy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:49 pm

So you all know how I was bellyaching and bellyaching about Fleetwood Mac charging $160 for tickets to their "Unleashed" or "Unchained" or "Unemployed and need some Cash" tour? Well, I'm not as completely, totally disgusted with them as I was a few weeks ago. I was talking with my friend Frank who wanted to go see both Leonard Cohen and Van Morrison, who's doing a tour in which he plays all of Astral Weeks. Any guesses as to how much LC is charging for tickets (he's playing the Oakland Paramount Theater, a medium sized venue, 3 nights, the first two sold out, then 3rd I don't know, most of the seats are the same price)? What about Van Morrison? He's playing the Greek Theater in Berkeley, and all the floor and most of the numbered seats are this price. (My point is that it's not just the first 10 rows). If you've gone to the shows or know the prices, no fair guessing, but if not and you want to hazard two guesses, I'd love to see what you all think. I was just flabbergasted. I"ll post the answers tonight or tomorrow.

Kevin

p.s. The Indigo Girls, bless their hearts, were just $48, and I'm seeing Teddy Thompson open for the Jayhawks guys for $25. Ditto Dar Williams. Thank God there are still some musical bargains!
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Browncoat » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:17 pm

I'd be terrified to even guess about those prices, but I did just buy two tickets to the Indigo Girls for $45 and two tickets to Kris Delmhorst for $15.
Subtly eccentric...
Browncoat
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby lily » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:53 pm

I'd guess $200+

I haven't paid over $50 for a show since… well… since Alison Krauss and Robert Plant last year. Wow. But then again I average a show a week. Or more.
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby elcorazon » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:49 am

Leonard Cohen is likely $150. Van's probably $135.
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:37 pm

The greedy record companies know there's no more money in CDs, so they are getting what they can via live shows. I wonder when the fans will finally rebel. But it's true, up and coming artists are a great bargain and often better!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:59 pm

So, just in case the suspense is killing any of you...

Leonard Cohen is $250 a seat, and Van Morrison is $350. Yep. Fleetwood Mac is looking mighty good at $160!

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Rongrittz » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:07 am

Jackson Browne's gonna be here in San Diego in a few months, and as much as he's my favorite artist of all time, and I'm DYING for good music down here in this cultural cul-de-sac, the tickets are $85. I really have a hard time rationalizing paying that much for ANY show.

"Three Girls and Their Buddy" (Patty, Shawn, Emmylou and Buddy Miller) will be at the same venue in June, at a more reasonable $60, which I can talk myself into because it's four artists at $15 apiece. :)
Rongrittz
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)