Emiliana Torrini

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Emiliana Torrini

Postby Mis » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:10 pm

Hey guys, just curious if there were any other fans of Emiliana Torrini out there. I was introduced to her via a mix CD exchange on another board some 5 years ago or more, and totally fell in love with her stuff. She's from Iceland, and her first major label release, entitled "Love In The Time of Science" was one of my lite electronica faves of the late '90s. Her new album, "Fisherman's Woman," is set to be released in the US in April, and I highly encourage everyone to check it out. This album is really stripped down...mostly just her voice and guitar, and it's absolutely haunting. She recently appeared on KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic, which you can access here: http://www.kcrw.org/show/mb

The archive page of MBE is what keeps me sane at work...there are TONS of other great artists featured there, including three sets of Patty from over the years!

Her official website is http://www.emilianatorrini.com/

If you like the Mazzy Star kinda sound, you should definitely check her out. I've been lucky enough to get my hands on an advance copy of the new record, and the guitarwork alone is worth buying this album. It's fantastic, rainy Saturday afternoon stuff. :)
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby disco_fred » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:15 pm

She opened for Dido and Travis when I saw them live at Jones Beach in New York. Beautiful singing voice and interesting, somewhat lulling tunes.

A favorite is "I Hope That I Don't Fall in Love" (gorgeous song with lyrics that I really relate to), as well as the pretty "I Really Loved Harold". But she's made several memorable, lovely songs as well.

And I love that you mentioned the great Mazzy Star -- to this day, "Fade Into You" moves my heart and reminds me of my younger days :D !!!
"Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think -- ah, who cares? And then I think -- hey, what's for supper?" -- Jack Handey.
disco_fred
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby ScottG » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:07 pm

So did all you Emiliana Torrini fans hear Sunny Road on Grey's Anatomy?
"Indifferent, but distanced perfectly
Projected endlessly, it’s so FUCKING beautiful!!!"
ScottG
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Mis » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:46 pm

I did indeed, and I was quite happy about it. :)
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby gillian » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:55 pm

Was this tonight's episode? (I just got back from a concert and haven't watched it yet.) If so, they have been using her a lot, because another of her songs was just in the episode a couple of weeks ago. I also heard a song of hers on something on MTV awhile back. Someone is obviously pushing her stuff to TV pretty hard... I get very happy everytime I hear her!
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby ScottG » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:09 am

Yes, it was yesterday's episode.
I heard it and immediately thought "Hey, That's Lime's MySpace song!"

Thank you all for turning me on to so many great artists.
"Indifferent, but distanced perfectly
Projected endlessly, it’s so FUCKING beautiful!!!"
ScottG
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby TontoBronto » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:26 am

disco_fred wrote:A favorite is "I Hope That I Don't Fall in Love" (gorgeous song with lyrics that I really relate to), as well as the pretty "I Really Loved Harold". But she's made several memorable, lovely songs as well.

Anyone know WHERE fred's favorite song appears? I didn't see it amongst the tracklistings on her official site (but DID accidentally uncover it on a P2P site while searching for Tom Waits).
Update: a little scrounging on eBay suggests that the track is from a 1996 OOP CD "Merman", so I don't feel any guilt in sharing this mp3 (the eBay auction is up to around $70).
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Mis » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:01 pm

Thanks, B! "Merman" is Reeeeeally hard to get ahold of. I've tried unsuccessfully to nab it a couple of times on Ebay, but then I don't want it badly enough to go over $25 for it.

I shall go listen now....
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby TontoBronto » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:32 am

ET was on "Other Voices" and video is included in the archives

Other artists of note: Steve Earle (week 5)
Cowboy Junkies (weeek 9)
Kathleen Edwards (week 12)
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:24 am

They played "Beggar's Prayer" on GA last night.
Beautiful song.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby PCStuff » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:36 pm

Glad to see this thread. Just got all her CD's and really love her. Kind of reminds me of Lisa Loeb and someone else that I can't quite place.
PCStuff
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby deaeterna » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:10 pm

You guys should definitely give the new Emiliana CD Me and Armini a listen when it comes out next month. Very excellent stuff.
deaeterna
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby mattimus » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:20 am

I had no idea she had a new album out- I'll have to get it. I still need to pick up Fisherman's Woman. "Nothing Brings Me Down" is so beautiful.
mattimus
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Postby RightOverThisMess » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:20 pm

I was bored last night so I was watching season 2 of Grey's Anatomy. I loved the inclusion of "Today Has Been OK" but I didn't know who the singer was so I Googled and came up with Emiliana. I just purchased Fisherman's Woman, Me and Armini, and Love in the Time of Science. I can tell she is going to become an obsession. :D
Nobody helps a liar.
...and you don't know what I've done.
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)