Still Hurts

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Still Hurts

Postby Rob » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:23 pm

You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Ian » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:39 pm

Jeez, where did those 30 years go?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O4_ghOG9JQM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O4_ghOG9JQM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Rob » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:50 pm

Ian wrote:Jeez, where did those 30 years go?

I was wondering the same thing.

Forward this video to 3:56. Most definitely ironic because this fan who showed up at Lennon's door turned out to be harmless. It's also just a great scene as Lennon explains his (and Paul's) music and how he's just a person. If only Chapman had asked. If only Chapman was sane.

Ugh.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KLJk936gtrY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KLJk936gtrY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Our Kid » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:21 pm

I've always loved that clip as well. So amazing how Lennon just went out and had a one on one with that kid. No rock star bullshit.

Thank you, Rob! You were on my mind almost as soon as I got up this morning. For real...

John was younger when he died than I am today. Time marches on, and it all remains so tragic in old and new ways.

We had a great thread in the glory daze of this site when a lot of us shared memories and thoughts about the man and his music. It can be found here:

http://forum.pattynet.net/viewtopic.php?t=1541&highlight=john+lennon

I think of many of my PattyPeeps on this day.

Love is the answer
and you know that for sure
Love is a flower
You gotta let it
You gotta let it grow
"You could write a song about some kind of emotional problem you are having, but it would not be a good song, in my eyes, until it went through a period of sensitivity to a moment of clarity. Without that moment of clarity to contribute to the song, it's just complaining."

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Rob » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:24 am

Glory daze, indeed. Thanks, Tim.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Turk » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:18 pm

Yes, it does still hurt.

My brother had ESPN on yesterday and they had clips of Howard Cosell's announcement of the shooting and then death of JL during MNF. There were also comments from the other announcers and producers and people involved with the ballgame's broadcast during that tragic event.

I was at my good friend Steve Hodge's house and happened to be watching MNF when Lennon was killed. Steve was older than I and a colossal Beatles fan. Of course, we were devastated, to say the least.

Every year at this time, Steve immediately comes to mind. It's gotten tougher though since Little Stevie Hodge went and died on me 3 years ago.

Coming back and seeing Tim and Rob's words and remembrances gets me as close as I can be to that special bereavement. As much as it still hurts, it helps to share and connect with folks who feel that very same pain.

Thank you guys for that.

For that...and so much more.
Last edited by Turk on Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Our Kid » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:13 pm

Fucking beautiful, Turk. Just beautiful. I'd give anything to hug you right now...

You too, Rob.

And yourself as well, you Clayhead git.

I still love you all, very very much! Just these few posts leaves me craving the vibe, the closeness and the connection. Then again, things like this are proof that the connection still lives on.

Again, I still love you guys, very deeply!!!

Hold on world
World hold on
It's gonna be allright

As for that connection I was talking about:

I'm no stranger to this place
Where real life and dreams collide
And even though I fall from grace
I will keep the dream alive
"You could write a song about some kind of emotional problem you are having, but it would not be a good song, in my eyes, until it went through a period of sensitivity to a moment of clarity. Without that moment of clarity to contribute to the song, it's just complaining."

-Joni Mitchell-
Our Kid
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Rob » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:24 pm

Thanks, Turk. Beautiful.

As I said in my old post, I didn't find out Lennon had been killed until the next morning. Obviously it was a Tuesday so I must have gone to school. And who knows what I was doing the night Lennon was shot, maybe homework because I certainly wasn't watching MNF... it was Patriots-Dolphins and I was a Jets fan.

But I'll always remember reading that awful headline and how it offered me that split-second of uncertainty as I tried vainly to escape the word "slain."

Now that I think about it, I vaguely remember my friend Jody (who was also a huge Beatles fan), and I can almost see her being as upset as I was. Just a feeling and a blurred snapshot in my mind of that day.

That night I remember listening to WNEW-FM here in New York and it was, of course, non-stop Beatles and Lennon (and I think the occasional on-topic sad song). All the now dearly departed FM radio stations were wall-to-wall with music. No commercials.

Vin Scelsa, a terrific DJ on WNEW, was on the air the night Lennon was killed and had to announce his death. Even though I wasn't listening, his words still haunt me. I read them shortly after (I think in Rolling Stone) and as well as being seared in my mind (to the point I can almost relive a moment I never experienced), they've also become legendary here in New York.

Here's a great article from 2005 about Scelsa and that night. What's always struck me is the song he'd cued up before finding out.

And then there was December 9, 1974 MNF game, which "featured a rare instance of two celebrities entering the booth, with Lennon being interviewed by Cosell and California governor Ronald Reagan speaking with Gifford, with Reagan explaining the rules of American football (off-camera) to Lennon as the game went along."

Oh to be a fly on that wall. At the end of this clip, Cosell says they have to rejoin the Gipper. So I looked and found this snippet from someone about it.

It was on a Monday night in 1974. The scene was almost too surreal to imagine. John Lennon was attending his first American football game and was seated next to Ronald Reagan. The then-former governor had his arm around Lennon and was explaining the intricacies of the game to him. Having once played the role of "The Gipper" in the movie "The Knute Rockne Story", Gov. Reagan was an expert on the subject of football, at least in the eyes of the voters. John Lennon later went up to the broadcasting booth to be briefly interviewed by Howard Cosell. Frank Gifford was relegated to interviewing Reagan. :lol:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ds82Id_GMe8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ds82Id_GMe8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)