Lisa Loeb

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Lisa Loeb

Postby disco_fred » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:49 pm

Hooray for Lisa Loeb :D !!! I love this lyrical lady, and she's put out consistently good, smart material for a decade now.

Her latest album, "The Way It Really Is", supposedly was mainly inspired by her break-up with Dweezil Zappa.

My personal favorite album of hers is the haunting "Firecracker", which contains "Let's Forget About It", "Wishing Heart", "Dance With the Angels", "This", and "Jake", 5 of my favorite Lisa songs.

Ever since I heard "Stay", I was won over by this intelligent, unique woman and her talent. "Do You Sleep?" is an amazing song.
"Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think -- ah, who cares? And then I think -- hey, what's for supper?" -- Jack Handey.
disco_fred
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby StevieFan » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:43 am

Yay, Lisa Loeb!

:D
*YOUR AD HERE*
Call or email for rates.
StevieFan
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Re: Lisa Loeb

Postby TontoBronto » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:07 am

disco_fred wrote:Hooray for Lisa Loeb....
Ever since I heard "Stay", I was won over......

Personally, "Stay" pigeon-holed Lisa as an overly sweet singer who I enjoyed on radio but whose CD's I wouldn't be inspired to buy (her Lisa Lupner glasses didn't help either). Eventually, I realized that "Stay" isn't at ALL typical of Loeb's work and that she does have much harder-edged tunes as well--"Firecracker" does have some rock on it.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby StevieFan » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:22 pm

Happy Birthday, Lisa Loeb!
*YOUR AD HERE*
Call or email for rates.
StevieFan
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Arlene » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:29 pm

I really don't know any of her music except I love her song, "Falling In Love," which appears on the first Lilith Fair compilation-- "The time between meeting and finally leaving is sometimes called falling in love" -- and Emmylou's background vocals have nothing to do with my liking this version :wink:
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Kelsea » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:58 pm

She has a show on the E channel that started airing a little while ago, I'm don't know how well it's doing. I've never seen an episode before and yet I’ve seen clips of her in lingerie twice and her dancing around in a thong :shock: :D Seems like an interesting show, she's on VH1 every other week.
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby PCStuff » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:54 am

I have always been a Lisa fan, but this last CD was probably her worst one to date. New listeners should start with Tails, then Firecracker, then Hello Lisa.
PCStuff
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby disco_fred » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:31 pm

Her show, "#1 Single", is pretty charming. It's on E! every Sunday night.

I am totally into her song "Everyday" lately, for some reason. Yay Lisa! I hope she finds love and sells more records.
"Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think -- ah, who cares? And then I think -- hey, what's for supper?" -- Jack Handey.
disco_fred
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Gretzky » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:34 pm

a cute little lisa loeb story for y'all. gather 'round campfire style, while i mend my broken voice with warm honey and lemon...

in 1994, lisa did an in-store appearance for my store, which, for those of you who attended pattyfest, was the big fye music store on the corner, second level of the king of prussia plaza. anyway, the crowds that turned out were substantial, a bit larger than we had expected...this was at the height of her popularity as an emerging artist, with the success of stay from the reality bites soundtrack...

the plan was: lisa was supposed to enter my store through the back door, via a service corridor, and then make her grand entrance to the sales floor from my backroom. simple enough.

so, the crowd that had gathered was predominantly teens, teens of the female persuasion, recently freed from middle and high schools scattered throughout merions upper and lower, and suburbs along 422. all sprung up and tense, waiting for their single-of-the-moment to appear, sing, smile, and sign cds and/or cassettes. some of the overly-excitable individuals climbed upon my browsers for a better peek, breaking them with their practically-concealed teen baby phat. *note to self- stop that!*

my staff, a bunch of teens and early twenties like myself, gradually dissipated into the expanding throng, leaving me alone to protect the front of the store from...danger, or something like that. i've always been the responsible one.

anyway, i'm standing a bit outside, looking in, amazed at the multitudes within my store, and i look to my right and see this little thing walking towards me through the mall...carrying a guitar case. which, proportionately speaking, could have been a cello.

it was lisa, of course...she had seen the sign for the store, and thought it was where to go...we had to map out her proper course, and sneak her past a window, all behind the backs of two-hundred eager fans.

it worked, and things went swimmingly.

the end.
step up and bless the mic
Gretzky
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Kris » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:04 am

I'm 5'2" and I met Lisa at Lilith Fair and she was very petite in comparison to me. I'm thinking like 4'11" or something?
It's the same old thirst for more
Until they put you in the dirt

You saw me through a keyhole
Of a door that I kept locked
But I decorate the threshold
Just in case you knocked
Kris
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby disco_fred » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:09 am

So I met Lisa Loeb today. My friend Katie and I went to see her show at Newbury Comics in Boston. She's very tiny! She's promoting a new CD, "The Purple Tape".

The setlist was --

"Guessing Game" (I think -- I didn't recognize this one right away)
"Do You Sleep?"
"Falling In Love"
"Alone"
"Stay"
"Garden of Delights"
"Everyday"

She asked the audience what they wanted to hear, and I requested "Everyday" because it's my favorite Lisa tune. She went "Oh!" in a happy voice and rocked it out. I was, needless to say, over the moon. She actually spoke to me during the show at one point (I was right up front). She seemed a little tired/distracted/impatient for some reason though -- I'm guessing because she's been and is going everywhere to promote. She probably needs a rest.

Anyway, we took a photo with her and we spoke for a minute. She asked me if I was seeing anyone. It was very cute!

It was a fun day.
disco_fred
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Kris » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:23 pm

How cute! The Purple Tape was a tape that she put out in college that's become quite a collector's item. Look forward to seeing what's in store with the CD.
It's the same old thirst for more
Until they put you in the dirt

You saw me through a keyhole
Of a door that I kept locked
But I decorate the threshold
Just in case you knocked
Kris
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby PCStuff » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:37 pm

Agree. Purple Tape is a lovely recording which was available as bootleg for quite a while. She has done a lot of children's songs, but been a while since she came out with a number of new original songs.
PCStuff
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)