Dar Williams

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Dar Williams

Postby Arlene » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:45 pm

This is actually for Tigerlily- I saw Dar Williams in a solo concert a couple of weeks ago and she played a half dozen or so new songs that will be on her next album. Material often sounds different when done solo (as opposed to with a full band on record) but all I can say is that I think you'll be pleased when you hear them. :D . I was a little surprised that two were overtly political-- the others seem strongly influenced by her experiences as a new mother.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby disco_fred » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:49 pm

Dar is really amazing and her songs have incredible lyrics.

"The Party Generation" is great, as is "The Christians and The Pagans".

My very favorite is "Are You Out There?" -- the music and many of the lyrics remind me of growing up and people in my life.

"It's the first time I stayed up all night
It's getting light
I heard the birds
I'm driving home on empty streets"
disco_fred
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Arlene » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:34 am

And some people may think it's a little too cute but I just love "The Babysitter's Here". I think I may have had that babysitter-- I grew up one town over so.... (Just kidding-- I'm enough older than Dar that it's fairly unlikely.)
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby disco_fred » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:56 am

I pulled out one of Dar's CDs recently and fell in love all over again with "If I Wrote You".

Seriously, what a beautiful song -- her voice, the lyrics, and how much I feel what she sings.
"Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think -- ah, who cares? And then I think -- hey, what's for supper?" -- Jack Handey.
disco_fred
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby sfboy » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:33 pm

How about Flinty Kind of Woman? Lyrically one of the richest songs I know. So funny! Also, my favorite song of hers is Iowa. It's my anthem that I sing to myself when I need it. Anyone else love either of these songs?

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Hugues » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:04 pm

was listening to The Green World yesterday and was moved, as always, by "After All": words+music+voice = pure emotion.

I also know exactly what she feels with "It Happens Everyday".
Hugues
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Hugues » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:06 pm

The booklet of this new Dar CD is magnificent. Each song lyrics are printed near a page using the illustration of a visual artist from the Hudson Highlands (an hour from NYC). The overall photography and design/layout was done by Traci Goudie.

As for the music, it's your usual Dar. Well-produced and clear, always a pleasant listen, and she always has that delightful voice. And the back cover has a cute, cute pic of her.
Hugues
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby KarenL » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:28 am

I love her new CD, Hughes. It's definitely typical Dar. Catchy melodies, (especially 'It's Alright', 'The Easy Way', and 'Buzzer') and lovely voice.

Here's an excellent video of the making of her new album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0f64Mg6nIs
KarenL
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby sfboy » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:42 am

Hey you Dar fans

I've been a big Dar fan for a long time. I love her first 3 CDs, then started liking each subsequent CD a little less. Her last CD before this one (the title escapes me) really let me down. I'm just wondering if you all have had similar reactions or not, and what you think about the new CD. I haven't gotten it yet but probably will next week.

Thanks.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Russell » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:52 am

sfboy wrote:Hey you Dar fans

I've been a big Dar fan for a long time. I love her first 3 CDs, then started liking each subsequent CD a little less. Her last CD before this one (the title escapes me) really let me down. I'm just wondering if you all have had similar reactions or not, and what you think about the new CD. I haven't gotten it yet but probably will next week.

Thanks.

Kevin

Kevin,

If you can stream music, you can get a preview of the album at http://www.musicbythealbum.com/2008/09/17/dar-williams-promised-land-2008/

Russell
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Browncoat » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:47 pm

Kevin,

I'm pretty much in the exact same boat you are. I like Honesty Room and love Mortal City and End of the Summer, but each one after that has let me down. I didn't even buy My Better Self - I streamed a few tracks, bought "Comfortably Numb" from iTunes, because I'm a Floyd fan, and left it at that.

I've bought two of the tracks from this album, "It's Alright" and "The Easy Way." I don't think they're really a complete return to form, but I like them a lot more than I've liked her recent stuff. I'm considering buying the CD now, anyway. I've also heard previews of "Midnight Radio" and it sounds like it could be a really solid song.

So, that's a half-recommendation from someone who hasn't even taken the recommendation himself...
Subtly eccentric...
Browncoat
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby sfboy » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:47 pm

Thanks for the semi-recommendation. And I have one myself. Don't bother getting My Better Self, but you absolutely have to download Teen for God from iTunes. It's a great song in the best Dar tradition. It's the first song on the CD and it really got my hopes up, and then crash, the rest of the CD came along.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice. I'll probably end up buying it, but I'll look for it used and try to save a few bucks.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Hugues » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:09 am

As for me, I love all of her CDs. She was more provocative and inspired, maybe, in the early albums, but I also love the way she evolved, in a peaceful kind of way.
Hugues
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Re: Dar Williams

Postby sfboy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:58 am

HI all. I have a question. Last night I went to see Dar live. On her current tour she is doing her first CD, The Honesty Room, live in its entirety, from start to finish...almost. :( I have never heard her do Flinty Kind of Woman and was really looking forward tot that but she skipped it. She was suffering from a little bit of laryngitis last night so I don't know if that was the reason or if she just won't perform that song live,possibly because of the violence in the lyrics. Does anyone know? Other than that, the show was really great. :)

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)