Some Songs

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Some Songs

Postby marybeth » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:39 am

I sent eight songs out for copyright about two weeks back. I wanted to post some but was waiting until I heard back from the Library of Congress. I feel okay about posting them here since its password protected, and since you guys are the main ones who listen anyway! Don't worry Gillian, I will still post on the Patty board. But I'm really eager to post these two songs, because I put a bit more effort into adding some harmonies, etc.

One is http://www.marybethonline.net/voicesofwar.mp3. This is a song I sang once at open mic (very badly unfortunately!) and felt I had to explain the background of the story to the German-speaking audience. But I'm guessing that English speakers will be able to guess the context. If not I'll explain it to anyone who is curious! Also, tell me if you think the effect at the end is a)good or b)doesn't work.

The second one is: http://www.marybethonline.net/badgirl.mp3. My caveat here is please don't think I always write songs about messed up girls. This was the first song I ever wrote and it has some thematic similarities with summa cum laude, which is the second-last song I wrote.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Re: Some Songs

Postby Turk » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:09 am

marybeth wrote:My caveat here is please don't think I always write songs about messed up girls.
MB, Unfortunately, I can't download Mp3 files at the present so I can't give an opinion on your music. I just want to respond to the above comment.

I truly feel that this group of people would never judge you on your lyrical content or anything else for that matter. Music, poetry, expression in general is timeless and is felt by someone, somewhere. That's what artists have always done. We are all a mixed bag that connect to each other in some form. Everybody in this forum has quirks (look at my posts....duh) and we don't agree on everything (it's not humanly possible) but we all know that we are decent people inside.

*sings praises to Gillian for starting this forum and all my PattyPals for being here*

edited to add: MaryBeth, you don't need anyone else's approval to say what you feel. It's all good. It really is.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Kris » Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:23 pm

MB, I don't have proper time to listen now, so I will later and write more, but I wanted you to know that it typically takes about 4-5 months for get your paperwork back from the copyright office, but rest assured because your music's copyright starts on the day that it arrives at their offices, it just takes a really long time for them to process it. So, if you ahd delivery confirmation and know when it arrived, you should be good because it starts on that day. Otherwise, you'll be waiting for a long time!
It's the same old thirst for more
Until they put you in the dirt

You saw me through a keyhole
Of a door that I kept locked
But I decorate the threshold
Just in case you knocked
Kris
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:25 am

I guess this will have to wait for an open mic thread....

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Kris » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:35 pm

Marybeth, I sat down and really listened to you songs. I really like them. You did a really great job with harmonies, I especially liked "Voices of War", the harmonies were excellent, very different than the conventional, I really enjoyed it. I like the way you write, it's very narrative, it reminds me of Dar Williams. I really liked it. Your recordings sound really good and crisp as well. Bad Girl is also really good, it was one of those songs that makes you smirk when you hear lyrics that you can relate to. You should be really proud of yourself.

Just in case you knocked
Kris
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:35 pm

Kris....thanks for listening! I really appreciate your comments as a fellow songwriter. By the way those voices at the end of the first song were my kids....did you understand what the song was about?

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Kris » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:19 pm

I did understand the song I think, at least my interpretation of it. I really like it. The voices at the end I thought was a really cool idea. My grandfather was schitzophrenic (I know I can't spell) so I can also relate to it on another level.

Just in case you knocked
Kris
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby ang » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:48 pm

Marybeth, I'm glad you decided to post these here! I LOVE "Voices of War". The lyrics are thought-provoking, and melodically, it reminds me somewhat of Joni Mitchell. Fantastic harmonies. Isn't it fun what you can do with multi-tracking? :)

I can't wait to hear more!
Like jewels in a crown, the precious stones glittered in the queen's round metal hat.
ang
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:11 am

Thanks Angela! That's funny you say that about Joni Mitchell...my voice teacher thought so too.

The story is true actually, although I modified it somewhat. I heard it told on a German talk show one night some years back. It was an older schizophrenic woman who told how her entire elementary school class was killed in a bomb raid. She literally became schizophrenic after it happened. I had that tune worked out on the guitar once and couldn't figure out what theme to match it to. Suddenly I remembered that story and then writing the song came pretty quickly. It's amazing how it helps when you have a strong concept in mind.

I think you guys should post some too....I don't want to be all alone. :?

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby MWM » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:30 pm

I listened to both of these songs the other day. They're both very well written, but "Voices of War" was my favorite of the two. It's pretty amazing, and I think the effect of the harmonies at the end is chilling and beautiful. I love this song, and I'm glad to hear you writing more stuff.

~Matt
The meteorite is the source of the light
And the meteor's just what we see
And the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid
Of the fire that propelled it to thee
And the meteorite's just what causes the light
And the meteor's how it's perceived
And the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void
That lies quiet in offering to thee
MWM
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds