Lori McKenna

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Lori McKenna

Postby libraryliz » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:02 pm

Hi everyone,
I have decided that I've been hearing too much about Lori McKenna to ignore her any longer. So here's my question: what cd should I buy first?
I've already searched the forum for her and quite a few of you seem to be fans. Any opinions? I was thinking The Kitchen Tapes, simply b/c I like the title.

Thanks!
libraryliz
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Browncoat » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:47 pm

Hmmm, long-time Lori fan here...

Personally, "The Kitchen Tapes" is my least favourite Lori CD, for various reasons...

If I were you, I'd start with the beginning - Paper Wings and Halo, it is like Lori's "LWG".

Have fun!
Subtly eccentric...
Browncoat
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:25 pm

I think Bittertown is her best.

In my opinion it's about ten times better than any of her others. It is nearly a perfect album.

Bittertown is what you would call an overachievement.
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby gillian » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:28 pm

I fell in love with Lori very recently. I started with Bittertown, and then got The Kitchen Tapes. I haven't listened to any other albums yet.

Of those two, I would probably start with Bittertown.

BUT.. Adam is the Lori expert, so I defer to his wise opinion.
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby karla » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:47 pm

I only have Bittertown, so I can't compare. But I don't think you can go wrong with it. It's a beautiful piece of work.
It's hard to give, it's hard to get, ...
but everybody needs a little forgiveness.
karla
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Browncoat » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:14 pm

I have to say, I'm not the most objective on Bittertown. I received an advance copy of the disc, without lyrics, and I spent 4 days listening to the album straigh through, transcribing the words.

I also have a soft spot for PW&H because it was my first and only (at the time) Lori CD at the time and I have a fond memory of meeting Lori for the first time when I bought it.

Bittertown is great though...

-A
Subtly eccentric...
Browncoat
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby MWM » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:45 pm

I only have Bittertown and The Kitchen Tapes, and I love both of them, but I think Bittertown is one of the closest things to a perfect album I've ever heard.

~Matt
The meteorite is the source of the light
And the meteor's just what we see
And the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid
Of the fire that propelled it to thee
And the meteorite's just what causes the light
And the meteor's how it's perceived
And the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void
That lies quiet in offering to thee
MWM
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby marybeth » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:31 am

Hey Matt, when did you become a Lori McKenna fan?
I'm sorry I missed this thread! I love Bittertown. I was amazed no one nominated it for one of the best albums of 2004. But I also really like Kitchen Tapes...in fact I prefer the version of Bible Song on there. I'd say those are my two favorites, then comes Paper Wings and Halo. For some reason, I haven't been able to get into Pieces of Me as much.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby disco_fred » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:33 am

Because of this thread, I looked up Miss McKenna, and so far I am really liking what I hear.

I love "One Man" and "Borrow Me" in particular, and I am looking forward to learning more about this lady.

Go PattyNet people and their suggestions and opinions and fan-ness :D :P :wink: :lol: 8) !!!
"Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think -- ah, who cares? And then I think -- hey, what's for supper?" -- Jack Handey.
disco_fred
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby libraryliz » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:49 am

I know, isn't it gret? This group has the best taste in music!
libraryliz
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby libraryliz » Sun May 01, 2005 11:40 am

Ok, I bought Bittertown b/c that was all Borders had. I really wanted Paper Wings and Halo first but I'm happy with Bittertown so far. I like Lori's voice. I will definitely be purchasing more of her cds.
Thanks, everyone, for the advice.
libraryliz
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Klary » Sun May 01, 2005 12:47 pm

I think Bittertown is perfect but I love Pieces of me as well.. a lot. The song Never die young chokes me up every single time.

I saw Lori live last weekend and she was incredible. If you have the chance, go see her live..
Between songs, she talked a lot about her life in het home town and how it inspires her music.

"I am a housewife by trade, that's what I do. So basically I sit in my livingroom all day and write songs, and then I get to come over here and play them, I am so lucky!"
How the little dreams we dream
are all we can really do
Klary
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby libraryliz » Mon May 02, 2005 12:15 pm

She's going to be in Connecticut sometime soon, I think. I am going to try to go see her.
libraryliz
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Tue May 03, 2005 1:54 pm

If you haven't stocked up your Lori collection yet, now is the time:

Artist Of The Week - Lori McKenna

For this week only, all Lori McKenna discs are just $9.99!!

It's a new feature from signaturesounds.com Each week we'll put every disc from an artist on sale for the lowest price anywhere.

When Lori McKenna performed an opening set at Cambridge's Club Passim in 1998, the Boston Sunday Globe proclaimed, "When the stardust settled [that night], it was not on the New York songwriter who stopped the show at this year's Newport Folk Festival, nor on the much-touted Austin, Texas, troubadour who local record companies had come to scout. In the end, the evening belonged to a 29-year-old Stoughton housewife and mother of three named Lori McKenna." Her debut album, Paper Wings and Halo, was released that same year. Four albums later, McKenna's praises have been sung everywhere from National Public Radio to USA Today to England's BBC2.

She’s been awarded the prestigious ASCAP Sammy Cahn Award, earned two Boston Music Awards, kicked off her debut European tour, and shared the stage with such artists as Richard Thompson, Kasey Chambers, and Suzanne Vega. McKenna has also appeared on NPR’s Morning Edition and World Café, at the South By Southwest Music Festival, and as the answer to #13 down in the Sunday New York Times crossword. Check out the artist who, according to Harp, "snared the proverbial lightning in a bottle."
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby gillian » Tue May 03, 2005 2:41 pm

Btw, my Mother's Day gift for mom this year is gonna be "Bittertown." :)
gillian
Founder
Founder

Next

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)