Aimee Mann

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby MWM » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:51 am

I'm going to go see Aimee tomorrow night (Valentine's Day) at the Variety Playhouse in Atlanta where I saw Patty last year. It was the most wonderful venue, and if you get there early enough, you can stand so close you can put your elbows on the stage and look up at the artist. This tour she's on now is being billed as an "acoustic trio," and it's just her (on guitar and occasionally bass or piano) and her bassist and pianist. I'm stoked.

So baby, kiss me like a drug, like a respirator
And let me fall into the dream of the astronaut
Where I get lost in space that goes on forever
And you make all the rest just an afterthought
And I'll believe it's you who can make it better
Though it's not
No, it's not

. . . . hmm . . . what a happy Valentine's Day I'm going to be having in such a sick twisted way.
The meteorite is the source of the light
And the meteor's just what we see
And the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid
Of the fire that propelled it to thee
And the meteorite's just what causes the light
And the meteor's how it's perceived
And the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void
That lies quiet in offering to thee
MWM
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby MWM » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:17 pm

The show was amazing, the songs all sounded beautiful even without the drums and electric guitar (and in some cases it was solo Aimee on her acoustic). The setlist was

High on Sunday 51 (solo)
Goodbye Caroline
You're with Stupid Now (with Aimee playing a bongo solo)
You Could Make a Killing
Save Me
Wise Up
Video
Little Bombs
Lost in Space
It's Not Safe (solo)
4th of July (solo)
Nothing is Good Enough (mostly solo Aimee on piano)
You Do (Aimee on bass, with the other two guys on keyboard and piano and a little drum machine loop played in the background)
Frankenstein (she called up four people from the audience to be her percussion section. It was funny, but they were pretty good)

That's How I Knew This Story Would Break My Heart
Ray
Deathly

I've Had It

Me and my friend Shannon met her afterward:

Here's a couple of amazing pictures Shannon took during the show:

The meteorite is the source of the light
And the meteor's just what we see
And the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid
Of the fire that propelled it to thee
And the meteorite's just what causes the light
And the meteor's how it's perceived
And the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void
That lies quiet in offering to thee
MWM
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby kcguy » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:32 am

I love those pictures MWM!

Aimee did an interview and played 2 songs on WMNF before her show in Tampa last Saturday. The show is called "Saturday Asylum" and it is only archived for 1 week, so they will remove it sometime this coming Saturday (the 25th).

The link for the show is: http://sound.wmnf.org/sound/wmnf_000000_000001_asy1_262.MP3

Aimee's interview begins about 20 minutes into the show. The first few seconds (or more) seem to be missing (fades in and out), but the rest of the interview is there and she (with bass player and pianist) plays beautiful versions of "Little Bombs" and (especially) "Lost In Space".

(I found out about this on Aimee's message board.)
kcguy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby keith from ny » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:47 am

Sounds like a great show! I'd love to see her play an acoustic set sometime. Thanks for the pics too.
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby kcguy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:59 pm

Aimee is on WNCW tomorrow night as part of their Tower Of Song program. It was recorded live at The Bohemian Cafe in Greenville SC on February 13th. I don't know how long she plays, but there is another guest on the program: "Enter The Haggis", so I imagine she plays for half an hour (I think it's an hour show).

Tuesday Feb 28th 9 pm et/8 pm ct

24 kbps mono stream for poor dial-up people (like me):

http://www.wncw.org/wncw-24k.m3u

128 kbps stereo stream for everyone else:

http://www.wncw.org/wncw-128k.m3u
kcguy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby kcguy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:20 am

Aimee is a guest on Acoustic Cafe (mlive.com) this week, broadcast on various radio stations around the country and the show is in their archive.
kcguy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby kcguy » Wed May 10, 2006 6:41 pm

Aimee will be performing and chatting with Henry Rollins on The Henry Rollins Show, airing on (Saturday) May 13th 10pm et on IFC (Independent Film Channel). PT Anderson (director of Magnolia) is also a guest on the show.
kcguy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby gillian » Thu May 11, 2006 9:30 am

kcguy wrote:Aimee will be performing and chatting with Henry Rollins on The Henry Rollins Show, airing on (Saturday) May 13th 10pm et on IFC (Independent Film Channel). PT Anderson (director of Magnolia) is also a guest on the show.

Thanks for the heads up! Tivo set.
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby kcguy » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:34 pm

Aimee is appearing on radio programs promoting her Christmas album and tour. She was on KCRW Morning Becomes Eclectic this morning and the show is in the archives as audio or video.

Setlist:

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
Christmastime
Little Bombs
Whatever Happened To Christmas
interview
Calling On Mary
I Was Thinking I Could Clean Up for Christmas
Way Back When
I'll Be Home For Christmas

In about half an hour (9 pm est) Aimee will be on WFUV and I am pretty sure that show will be archived. Aimee's website made a little joke about it:

First, at 2PM EST Aimee will play songs from "One More Drifter in the Snow" on KCRW. Then Aimee and the band jump in Santa's sleigh to fly to New York, where they will be performing your favorite holiday songs on WFUV ... at 9PM EST

I imagine the KCRW show, at least, was pre-recorded. :)

Also, Aimee will be on Late Night with Conan O'Brien on the 13th (late wed night, early thurs morning).
kcguy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby kcguy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:38 am

From WOXY:

celebrate the holidays with aimee mann!

In the spirit of the season, on Wednesday, 12/13 at 3:00 pm EST/12:00 pm PST, the WOXY HOLIDAY MIXER will air Aimee Mann's First Annual Christmas Show recorded live from Bimbo's 365 Club in San Francisco. Aimee and her band performed a host of holiday themed songs including originals like: "Calling On Mary," and classics such as: "Winter Wonderland" and "You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch." Tune in and hear special guests join Aimee including: actor John C. Reilly and comedian Paul F. Tompkins.

After the completion of the initial broadcast on the WOXY Holiday Mixer, the show will be streaming for free through the end of 2006 at lala.com!

The way I understand this is, that the show will be on the "holiday mixer" feed and not the regular WOXY broadcast.

Also:

Aimee will be on Live with Regis and Kelly tomorrow morning (the 14th).
kcguy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby disco_fred » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:14 pm

I am completely in love with Aimee's live version of "The Scientist". I can't stop listening to it. I know that's probably old news and someone 'round here might have mentioned it once or twice (or 53) times, but I think it's brilliant.

I have always been a fan of Aimee's, but never very passionately, and lately I have been rediscovering a lot of her material and really, really loving it. I love when that happens with music!
"Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think -- ah, who cares? And then I think -- hey, what's for supper?" -- Jack Handey.
disco_fred
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby gillian » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:30 pm

I went to her Christmas show here in Minneapolis in December. It was a different kind of show, but the comedian (Paul F. Tompkins) was hilarious, and I got to hear a handful of favorite Aimee songs. Overall the show was really enjoyable and whet my appetite for more Aimee. I'm excited to see she has a new album coming out... but I didn't see any dates attached with it, so who knows when that will be.
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby mdm » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:35 pm

I'm a big Aimee Fan too! I have seen her in concert many times and I most recently saw her Christmas show in Chicago. It was funny and a very different type of show that I really enjoyed. Her new album is coming in June called "Smilers." What a great songwriter!
mdm
Falling Down
Falling Down

Postby mhwlng » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:15 am

I went to see her yesterday

The Submarines were the opening act.

She had 3 keyboard players and no lead guitar player...

I managed to shoot some photos and a few videos
(the angle is a bit extreme :) )

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C2DF5AAEB6
(select high quality)

Marcel
Last edited by mhwlng on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
mhwlng
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Postby sfboy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:16 pm

Hey all you Aimee fans. I just happened to check her website yesterday, and she has live versions of 4 songs from Smilers up on her website as free downloads. So just in case you're interested...

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Previous

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)