Aimee Mann

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby gillian » Sun May 15, 2005 10:05 am

I like it alright. At first I thought I didn't, but everytime I listen to it, I warm to it a little more. Definitely ranks lower for me than Lost In Space and Bachelor #2 though.
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby marybeth » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:24 pm

I just got a mix CD of Aimee Mann songs from Janine on this board and I'm loving this already. I can usually tell within about five minutes if a singer is for me or not.....

Tell me which CD to start with please.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby MWM » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:36 pm

I would start with Lost in Space, Bachelor No. 2, or the Magnolia soundtrack. Lost in Space is very dark, Bachelor No. 2 is kind of Beatles-ish, and the Magnolia soundtrack is kind of a blend of both. What's on your mix?

~Matt
The meteorite is the source of the light
And the meteor's just what we see
And the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid
Of the fire that propelled it to thee
And the meteorite's just what causes the light
And the meteor's how it's perceived
And the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void
That lies quiet in offering to thee
MWM
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby marybeth » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:52 pm

I Should've Known
4th of July
Stupid Thing
Sugarcoated
Amateur
One
Wise Up
Deathly
Satellite
Save Me
The Moth
Invisible Ink
The King of the Jailhouse
Goodbye Caroline
Beautiful

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby MWM » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:32 am

Oh, that's a really good mix! Well, I can tell you which album which songs are on and then you can maybe decide from that cause each album kinda has its own sound:

"I Should've Known," "4th of July" and "Stupid Thing" are from Whatever.

"Sugarcoated" and "Amateur" are from I'm With Stupid

"One," "Wise Up," "Deathly," and "Save Me" are from the Magnolia soundtrack.

"Satellite" and "Deathly" are on Bachelor No. 2 (yes, "Deathly" is on both albums)

"The Moth" and "Invisible Ink" are from Lost In Space (my personal favorite Aimee Mann album)

"King of the Jailhouse," "Goodbye Caroline," and "Beautiful" are from the newest album The Forgotten Arm.

If it helps, Lost in Space is my favorite followed by The Forgotten Arm, I'm With Stupid, Bachelor No. 2, the Magnolia soundtrack, and Whatever (which comes in a very distant last place--there are only a few songs on that album I really like, "4th of July" and "Stupid Thing" among them).

I'm not surprised you like Aimee though, your writing style, in a way, reminds me of hers.

~Matt
Last edited by MWM on Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The meteorite is the source of the light
And the meteor's just what we see
And the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid
Of the fire that propelled it to thee
And the meteorite's just what causes the light
And the meteor's how it's perceived
And the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void
That lies quiet in offering to thee
MWM
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby marybeth » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:40 am

thanks for the tips, Matt! I've only heard up to song #5 so far. (I had to turn it off cause I need to work!) I'll probably start with the one you like best, Lost in Space.

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby penguin » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:05 am

Can't go wrong with Lost in Space. You'll love it.
I've got walls, I've got wings, I am ready for the fire
I've got trust in nothing, see, I lost it by and by
but I've got something shining somewhere
honey, I dream on the sly --Chris Pureka
PattyChat | AntjeDuvekot.net | ChrisPureka.net | MattMorrow.net | Trades
penguin
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby gillian » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:36 am

Lost In Space is my favorite definitely. I think you'll like it MB. After that, my next fave is Bachelor #2, and then the new album. The only other one I have is I'm With Stupid, but I haven't listened to it enough to be able to rank it.

That really is a great mix you got!
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby JK » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:41 pm

I've done my best to make a good mix of Aimee's songs, I'm glad Marybeth likes them. :D Yesterday I saw Aimee live in Amsterdam. Very good concert!

Janine
JK
Falling Down
Falling Down

Postby marybeth » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:33 pm

Thanks again for that mix Janine! And glad I got you out of hiding. Want to tell a bit more about the concert? Some Aimee fans around here would love it.

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Jon » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:57 am

penguin wrote:Can't go wrong with Lost in Space. You'll love it.

One of the very best albums of the past several years, in my opinion. A great sound and the songs are incredibly clever and brilliantly performed. I can't figure out why our local aaa station never plays it, they're already hammering away at her new one.
Jon
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:15 pm

FYI. For all of you Lost in Space fans, you can hear an interview/in studio performance by Aimee Mann with Rita Houston from 2002 in the WFUV archives at http://www.wfuv.org -- you know the drill, just type Aimee Mann's name in the box marked "Search the Audio Archives." (Lost in Space had just been released and she plays a a bunch of songs from it.)
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby penguin » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:14 pm

Thanks for the link, Arlene.
I've got walls, I've got wings, I am ready for the fire
I've got trust in nothing, see, I lost it by and by
but I've got something shining somewhere
honey, I dream on the sly --Chris Pureka
PattyChat | AntjeDuvekot.net | ChrisPureka.net | MattMorrow.net | Trades
penguin
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby sfboy » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:29 am

Hi everyone. I love Aimee's music and just wanted to add my 2 cents. As to her best solo disc, I guess I have to disagree with the trend here. I think her first one, Whatever, is far and away her best, following by Batchelor Number 2. I find it really interesting that so many people like Lost in Space. I've just never really warmed up to that disc so much, though there are songs on it that I really like.

No one here has said anything about 'Til Tuesday, so I thought I'd just chime in. 'Til Tuesday's CDs are pretty uneven, but they have some great songs. Voices Carry, David Denies, J for Jules, The Other End of the Telescope are all amazing songs, and Coming Up Close is one of my all time favorite songs. I'd recommend those songs for a nice little iTunes purchase (99 cents a song).

Also, Aimee just released a 5-song acoustic live set on iTunes. The track list is: Voices Carry (a great version!), I've Had It, That's Just What You Are, Save Me, and Little Bombs. I highly recommend all of them!

Finally, Aimee is on the cover of Working Songwriter. The interview is pretty good, and you can also get a lot of insight into and background of many of her songs.

Has anyone seen her during this latest tour?

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby keith from ny » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:12 am

Yeah, I saw Aimee in Baltimore a few weeks ago with some friends. She totally rocked, I'll reproduce a brief review I posted in another forum:

Aimee and her band did a great show last night at Ram's Head Tavern. Security shut me down when I tried to take a few photos, which is a shame because the lighting was great and I was right in front of the stage. The sound was pretty muddy where we were standing since we were right in front of the bass player's monitors which sometimes overshadowed the rest of the mix, but it was nonetheless a very well-played, well-sung and energetic set that heavily featured songs from The Forgotten Arm, I'm With Stupid, and the Magnolia soundtrack. It was obvious Aimee and the boys were all having a good time. Patti Smith's bass player was on loan to her for a few dates while her regular guy was fulfilling another engagement ("Paul decided he had more important things to do this week than play with us" Aimee quipped). They took requests during the long and playful second encore and gamely launched into several songs including Long Shot and The Moth that the bass and keyboard players had never rehearsed, adapting very well (if somewhat raggedly at first) and gradually building up to driving jams. Aimee played bass on a couple of songs with Patti's guy switching to guitar, and she also played piano for King of the Jailhouse. They did a 70-minute set plus three encores, and they all looked very pleased with themselves when they finally left the stage. I was very pleased myself. :) I highly recommend catching Aimee on this tour if you have the opportunity.

I'm With Stupid is my favorite Aimee album btw, although I really like Whatever too. Aimee fans may also find this amusing ... http://aimeemannsaysbabyalot.com .
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)