Aimee Mann

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby gillian » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:33 am

I am seeing Aimee on July 31st.... very excited.

I have a friend who also just could not get into Lost In Space. He says he tried multiple times. He has been a fan of Aimee since way back in the day though, so maybe those who were first introduced to her through Til Tuesday or Whatever find it harder to appreciate Lost In Space, than those who have jumped on the Aimee bandwagon "late."

Keith- Matt showed me the aimeemannsaysbabyalot.com the other day... it is HILARIOUS!
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby sfboy » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:39 pm

Thanks for the concert information. I can't wait to see her in July.

Wow, I never noticed that she said baby so much. If anyone is a Fleetwood Mac fan, check out When I See You Again off of Tango in the Night. While Stevie may not use the word baby as much as Aimee, I think that song has the highest babies per word in any song, including Aimees. The audio clip was hilarious!

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:03 am

Arlene, the wfuv interview/concert was very illuminating. In particular liked what she said about the songwriting process. Thanks for that!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:17 am

ok, add this artist to my obsession list.

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:58 am

I'm listening to Bachelor #2 and I LOVE it! This artists just combines so many things I love: catchy, 60's and 70's influenced pop tunes, thoughtful lyrics....just great great great! I want to be able to write like this woman!

Obsession song right now: It Takes All Kinds.

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Kris » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:38 am

I really like Amie Mann, but I can't help but feel that she writes the same song over and over. She's good at what she does, but it's always in a similar key and I can always guess where she's going musically. And I feel like she doesn't move her upper lip when she sings. I really love the CD's that I have, but when I hear songs from new CD's, like the Forgotten Arm, I don't want to buy them because it sounds like what I already own.

Any other people feel this way about her or any other artists?
It's the same old thirst for more
Until they put you in the dirt

You saw me through a keyhole
Of a door that I kept locked
But I decorate the threshold
Just in case you knocked
Kris
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:03 am

Few artists are as unpredictable as Patty, but despite Aimee's signature pop textures and the consistently cynical take on relationships and men in her lyrics, I don't find her music boring at all (even though her voice doesn't do much for me emotionally). I actually thought The Forgotten Arm was an interesting departure from her usual schtick lyrically, and King of the Jailhouse and Little Bombs (among others) don't sound very much like her earlier songs to me. Then again, I'm not a musician.

Never thought to observe her upper lip...
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby gillian » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:31 am

There's definitely an Aimee Mann "sound" I think, but I find each of her albums vary greatly within that range. Bachelor #2, Lost In Space, and The Forgotten Arm all feel very separate from one another in my mind, although within an album there is a lot of similarity in the sound of the songs.

As for her unemotional singing, I know she has mentioned in interviews that she purposely sings that way... she enjoys singing that sounds "detached" and unconnected. I'm paraphrasing obviously, but I know she admires that in others.. she has mentioned Elliott Smith, although I don't think Elliott was particularly unemotional in his singing style.
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby marybeth » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:36 pm

I don't find them boring or similar at all. Detached--maybe. She doesn't have the raw emotion of Patty. But that is simply her unique style.

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby karla » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:30 am

Aimee played at the McDonald Theater in Eugene last night, and even though I haven't been a major fan so far (the only CD I have is the Magnolia soundtrack), I do believe I am one now. She did songs from the new album, which I haven't heard yet, and interspersed a lot of old ones. I enjoyed them all. Then for the encore, she did the first song from Forgotten Arm and then took requests (in writing, thrown on the stage). A lot of requests were for songs she hadn't played in a while, but she and the band worked out three more songs. Then she came back for a second encore, during which she tried to play at least one verse from each request, but had trouble remembering them. She then played two or three more songs. I've never seen an artist so willing to please the audience. She was relaxed and friendly and made a very good impression on me. It was a fabulous performance over all.

- Karla
It's hard to give, it's hard to get, ...
but everybody needs a little forgiveness.
karla
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Kris » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:27 pm

Wow, how cool. I've never seen anyone work an audience like that.
It's the same old thirst for more
Until they put you in the dirt

You saw me through a keyhole
Of a door that I kept locked
But I decorate the threshold
Just in case you knocked
Kris
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:34 am

If interested, here's the link to her interview/performance on this past Friday's World Cafe: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4805597
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:28 am

I'm pleased to say that after putting Lost in Space and Bacherlor # 2 on repeatedly in the car over vacation even my unmusical husband is a fan. (Not sure if that is good or bad for Aimee, lol). He is the type who usually likes one or two songs off an album but has no real interest in an artist per se. At first he loved the Moth and the Flame....then he decided Pavlov's Bell was great....now he loves the whole LiS album! Yeah!

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:14 am

FYI. You can hear a recently recorded concert by Aimee Mann at NYC's Museum of Television and Radio by tuning in tonight, Friday Sept. 9th at 10:00 pm EST, to http://www.wfuv.org which will be streaming on the web.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby gillian » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:22 pm

Aimee Mann is hitting the road...

Fri Oct 14 - Anaheim, CA - House of Blues
Sat Oct 15 - San Diego, CA - The Belly Up
Sun. Oct. 16 - Los Angeles, CA - Royce Hall - UCLA
Tue Oct 18 - Tucson, AZ - The Rialto
Wed Oct 19 - Santa Fe, NM - J.A. Little Theater