Ray Lamontange - YOU REALLY MUST CHECK THIS GUY OUT!!

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby Fool On Fire » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:47 am

Classy, Ray. Real classy. :? Yes, audiences can and will be assholes, and I always feel bad for the artists when that happens...but that wasn't anything like an appropriate reaction.

I'm thinking he probably isn't over doing it for a living when he's just finished a new album, though. Maybe next time he should stick to a solo tour and pick his own opener. That might be more conducive to a responsive audience.

sigh,
~Elise
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby B Minus Time Traveler » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:44 am

What a horrible thing to say! I realize that audiences can be jerks sometimes, but it is a live show, so there's bound to be something out there. From what I've read, he's pretty shy, so maybe that's a reaction to that. But still -- that's a really crappy thing to say to anybody, anywhere, at any time. Tell you what -- the man may be a musical mastermind, but if this is how he is live, I won't be spending money to see him be a jerk on stage. Maybe he and Ryan Adams can co-headline a tour. :roll:
"You know, I cried when I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. And then I laughed...really hard." - Jerri Blank
B Minus Time Traveler
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby marybeth » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:34 pm

Yeah, sorry, but Ray sounds like a diva to me. A comment like that is completely unwarranted under any circumstances, let alone stomping off.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby disco_fred » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:27 pm

marybeth wrote:Yeah, sorry, but Ray sounds like a diva to me. A comment like that is completely unwarranted under any circumstances, let alone stomping off.

MB, I love that you called him a diva! :lol: :D 8)

I don't know this guy, like I said, but now I'm afraid of him :cry: :oops: !!!

I attended a small Mazzy Star concert where the lead singer, Hope Sandoval, walked off because people weren't being quiet enough. Hmm.
"Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think -- ah, who cares? And then I think -- hey, what's for supper?" -- Jack Handey.
disco_fred
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby keith from ny » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:22 pm

Geez! Ryan, now Ray ... seems like the the few white guys whose voices I really love turn out to be prima donna jackasses. Although to be fair, I've seen Ray do two great shows when the audience was supportive.

It's hard enough being a Lucinda Williams fan! :roll:
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Fool On Fire » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:53 pm

Ray has an interview/write-up of Til the Sun Turns Black (drops tomorrow) in Paste this month. I picked it up while browsing in Borders today...it's an interesting article, if brief. Fans should check it out.

~Elise

-- Amy Ray

-- Albert King

"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:42 pm

So, what does everyone think?? The new CD was nothing like what I expected, but it's had a few days to win me over, and it certainly has! Way more introspective than his first album, and sometimes I miss the unbridled vocal passion of tracks like Trouble and How Come, but Ray's lyrics and singing are brilliant and heartfelt as ever, and Ethan Johns really did a great job with the arrangements and production (comparable to what Craig Ross did for Patty on Impossible Dream, IMO). My favorites currently are Empty, Three More Days, Can I Stay and Gone Away From Me, but it's all really good stuff! Image
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:54 am

FYI. Ray LaMontagne on Morning Becomes Eclectic on 9/19/06: http://www.kcrw.com/cgi-bin/db/kcrw.pl? ... _type=show
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:11 am

Arlene wrote:FYI. Ray LaMontagne on Morning Becomes Eclectic on 9/19/06: http://www.kcrw.com/cgi-bin/db/kcrw.pl? ... _type=show

I watched this the other night, it really is an excellent session and features Lucinda Williams' guitarist Doug Pettibone on lead guitar and pedal steel. :D

Great recent audio shows by Neko and Cat Power too if you haven't checked them out yet.
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:39 pm

"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby PCStuff » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:44 pm

The only song I see sampled on his website is "Three more days," which I really don't care for....and nothing what-so-ever like Cat Stevens. That is purely a blues song which Cat Stevens never did, nor do I consider Patty a blues artist that comparisons were made to. Is there some better samples of other songs?

Also, Elizabeth's story of his reaction to a jerk in the crowd is inexcusable. He could have had the staff remove him, and continued for the benefit of those appreciating his music.
PCStuff
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Fool On Fire » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:49 pm

I'm really sad about this, but...I really, really don't like the new album. (I finally got it in the mail last week.) I actively dislike it, in fact. It makes me so sad, because I just *love* Trouble...it sounds so old-school but so fresh at the same time. Til The Sun Turns Black just sounds so old, and tired, and weary, and uninspired. Not a single one of the songs raises goosebumps on my skin, whereas pretty much all of them did that on the first record...the instrumentation does nothing for the tunes, and none of that indescribable fire is evident in any of the lyrics.

I feel heretical saying this, because I was excited for it, and I think Ray is every inch a talented guy...but every time I listen to it I get bored. :cry:

upset,
~Elise

-- Amy Ray

-- Albert King

-- Josh Ritter

Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:46 am

That's a big-time bummer, Lisey! :( Sorry you're so disappointed.

It definitely took some getting used to for me, but now I like it as well as his first and it's vying with The Greatest for my #2 spot in 2006 to date after Fox Confessor.
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby PCStuff » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:51 pm

In all fairness, after finding some links to his first CD, Trouble....I did order a copy of it.
PCStuff
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby keith from ny » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:24 pm

Oh wow, Ray is playing the Calvin Theater in Northampton Sunday December 17th! Hmmm...
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)