Ray Lamontange - YOU REALLY MUST CHECK THIS GUY OUT!!

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby Arlene » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:36 pm

FYI. You can see video of Ray performing at http://blueroom.att.com/mainstage/index.php (Just hit the live performance link and then the link for his name.)
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:46 am

Until 2 days ago, I'd not heard any of Ray LaMontange's songs, with the exception of the song "Trouble" as sung by Taylor Hicks on American Idol. Go ahead and laugh, but Hicks did an outstanding rendition of the song. I've still haven't heard Ray's version of it nor anything else from that album. Maybe reading the latter part this thread had somethng to do with why I'd not bothered to give him a listen.

My brother loaned me Til the Sun Turns Black. I listened through headphones, and my first impression was 'great voice' and I kinda liked the smoky, often almost too cute smoothness of his phrasing. But I also felt like he was trying to achieve an inspiring intensity but instead settled for amateurish lyrics and equally uninspired musical accompaniment. The only song that really grabbed me was "Three More Days". Maybe that's because it reminded me of Otis Redding, the best R & B / Soul male singer who ever lived, IMO. Ray's voice absolutely shines when singing iwith that soul.

I listened to the album a couple more times the next day, blasting it all through the house and it all sounded much better and started growing on me. I can't wait to hear Ray's first album now, especially since my brother bought tickets for us to see RL in December.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Fool On Fire » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:31 pm

Turk - darling, you must get Trouble. It is *vastly* superior to the new one in every way and you will adore it, and it won't take multiple tries for it to grow on you either. ;)

I'm still in love with the songs "Burn" and "Hannah"...they make my skin tingle.

love,
~E
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Nicoleee » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:36 pm

The new record makes me just as tingly as the first. I love that it sounds so different. I enjoy all the songs on the 2 releases along with all that awesome stuff you can get from the Ray forum.

I got a couple of tickets for Ray's Northampton show. 5th row. Um, yay.

:D
I said to the sky
Do you want me to fly
The sky said, No
Ain't your turn to go

http://amillionkites.blogspot.com/
Nicoleee
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Turk » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:44 pm

Fool On Fire wrote:Turk - darling, you must get Trouble. It is *vastly* superior to the new one in every way and you will adore it, and it won't take multiple tries for it to grow on you either. ;)

I heard RL's version of the song "Trouble" the other day and couldn't believe how incredible it is and that he is. I am going to get the CD ASAP. Cannot wait.
Also, I made a cassette tape of my brother's CD of Til the Sun Turns Black (sue me) and it keeps growing and growing and growing.....

This guy has some talent. A little Cat, a little Van and even a little Damien.
I saw on his MySpace where Otis Redding is listed as an inspiration.
I heard and felt it before I read it.

It's weird that so many of my favorite musicians are ones whose music I did not initially care for, on first listens anyway. :?
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby gillian » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:01 pm

Mark your calendars! On 12/11, Ray's performance at the 9:30 Club in Washington, D.C. will be broadcast live on NPR's "All Things Considered".
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby Nicoleee » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:23 pm

I missed Ray yesterday in Northampton, so I went to Craigslist to see if I could still scoop up a good seat for the sold-out show tonight at the Boston Orpheum. Score. (about 10 rows back)

The show was perfection. Ray plays a seamless, engrossing set time after time. He said nothing to the audience for the entire show. And yes, some of them were complete assholes. After trying to persuade Ray back for an encore for what seemed like an eternity... I mean it, my arms are still sore from clapping. He finally returned with slightly higher spirits. He played another 5!!! songs for the encore. The show ended up being over an hour and a half.

I was not disappointed in the song choices in the least, especially after the encore. (it was then that we heard Jolene and All the Pretty Horses.)

Songs from the TtSTB sound even more glorious live. I am a big fan of Barfly and You Can Bring Me Flowers (when I'm dead and gone!).

AH! lovelovelove.
I said to the sky
Do you want me to fly
The sky said, No
Ain't your turn to go

http://amillionkites.blogspot.com/
Nicoleee
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Mis » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:10 pm

OH YAY! I'm so glad you got in! I know how torn you were about missing him on Sunday. Woo hoo! :D Sounds like a fantastic show. :)
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Turk » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:12 pm

gillian wrote:Mark your calendars! On 12/11, Ray's performance at the 9:30 Club in Washington, D.C. will be broadcast live on NPR's "All Things Considered".

You can listen to the concert at NPR.

Set List
Empty
Be Here Now
Barfly
Gone Away From Me
Hold You In My Arms
Shelter
Three More Days
Trouble
Forever My Friend
How Come
You Can Bring Me Flowers
Lesson Learned
Till the Sun Turns Black
To Love Somebody
Jolene
Burn
Can I Stay

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=6599923
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:16 pm

The more I listen to Ray the more I want to hear. There is a painful nurturing that pulls me in. After reading about his rather "moody" stage incidents, I thought he might be the "Soup Nazi" of live performance but now that I've listened to the NPR show several times, I can sort of understand why. The NPR show is great.

I've mentioned before that he immediately reminded me of Otis Redding who was amazing and left us way too soon. I saw a VH1 Storytellers a few years back and Barry Gibb told the story of how he wrote the song "To Love Somebody" specifically for Redding. He was slated to record it on his next studio session After revealing the story behind it, the Bee Gees launched into the song. It might have been Otis' signature song. Sadly, we'll never know because Otis was killed in a plane crash before the taping. The Bee Gees then began playing the song and it WAS THE perfectly penned song for Otis.

Even more ironic to me is that Ray sings "To Love Somebody" at the Npr concert This is probably a very boring post to many of you but I feel a strong connection to the song, the BG's and to Ray for redoing it with that passion that he puts into it.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:12 pm

That NPR show really is a great concert, I recorded it on my PC and created a CD so I can listen to it in my car.
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Sat May 31, 2008 7:39 pm

Ray and his band put on a spirited (if rather brief) show at the Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center last night, including a couple of new songs. He said he's finished recording a new album, which will be coming out the second week in September! :D

You can download mp3s of the show from here.
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

2008-09-30 Indianapolis

Postby paulbaptiste » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:23 pm

My recording on the Indianapolis show is up on dime now: he played the entire new album, very good recording and just lovely that ray allows us to tape his shows.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=216738

Ray Lamontagne
2008-09-30
Murat Theatre
Indianapolis, IN

Taper: PaulBaptiste
ORCH R Row T, Seat 7 (30' from stage)
AT853 Omnis-ST9100, Iriver 120
Adobe>FLAC8>You

01 You Are the Best Thing
02 Hold You in My Arms
03 Empty
04 I Still Care For You
05 Let it Be Me
06 Henry Nearly Killed Me (It's A Shame)
07 Roses & Cigarettes
08 Meg White
09 Winterbirds (solo)
10 Gossip in the Grain
11 Sarah*
12 Hey Me, He Mama
13 You Can't Bring Me Flowers
14 A Falling Through
15 Trouble
16 Encore + Banter
17 Shelter
18 3 More Days+ Encore
19 All the Wild Horses (solo)
20 Jolene

* slight cut in Sarah, more of a bump, do
paulbaptiste
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Postby Turk » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:52 pm

Listen to "Gossip in the Grain" in full here:
http://music.msn.com/music/listeningbooth/
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Mis » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:59 am

I LOVE Ray's new album. It's so Autumn. I've been alternating this and the new Rachael Yamagata album and they're just filling me up with yummy Fall chill. :) With every album he puts out, he solidifies his place as the Nick Drake of our generation, imho.
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Previous

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)