Jonatha Brooke

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Jonatha Brooke

Postby Klary » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:45 pm

I bought Steady Pull a couple of weeks ago and I fell in love with it and listened to it every day, and was humming the tunes all day at work. I think that cd is extremely original, and it has a vibrant energy that I love.
This weekend I found Plumb for 3 euro.. and while I did not fell in love with it immediately, there is one song on it that I am completely obsessed with right now.. Paris. I think I've listened to it 20 times today!! It's one of the most beautiful and perfect songs I have ever heard.
I really need more of her cd's!
How the little dreams we dream
are all we can really do
Klary
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:55 pm

I was moving a bookcase with CDs in it over the weekend and came across the two CDs by The Story, (the duo Jonatha Brooke had with Jennifer Kimball in the early 90s)-- Grace in Gravity and The Angel in the House. I'd forgotten how much I like these discs. (FYI. Both CDs often show up used on eBay or amazon.com for less than $4-- if you like Jonatha Brooke, they're well worth getting.)
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby B Minus Time Traveler » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:00 pm

I have her newest CD and really love some of the songs. Although, I hear it's not her best. But her version of "Eye In the Sky" is incredible.
"You know, I cried when I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. And then I laughed...really hard." - Jerri Blank
B Minus Time Traveler
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby TontoBronto » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:34 pm

"10¢ Wings" remains my favorite.
Last edited by TontoBronto on Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Kris » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:20 pm

I love Jonatha as if she were a goddess. I own everything that she's done. My favorite is 10cent (where do I find the sign for that?) Wings. In fact I think it's a perfect album and in my all time top 5.

I was first introduced to her through Dirty Linen magazine. They liked her to a modern day Joni Mitchell so I thought "I have to hear this!" So I got Steady Pull, which if you are familiar with her repertiore, is the furthest thing from Joni that she's done. But it really grew on me, then I got 10CW. WOW! That was one of those life-changing albums for me. I love that she has such an amazing grasp of music theory, you can really hear it best on this album and on Back in the Circus, the key changes, the chord progressions, pure folk genius.

Anyhow, all of her albums are great and I just adore her writing. I highly advise anyone to flesh out their Jonatha collection, you won't be sorry.

Also, she's writes on and is involved in the forum on her website. She doesn't write often, but she pops in to answer questions about songs and other more personal things. The funny thing is, you'd think that if she was actually reading things you'd think the fans on the forum would be nicer, but they are NOT. They are really rude. But it can be a neat place to lurk.
It's the same old thirst for more
Until they put you in the dirt

You saw me through a keyhole
Of a door that I kept locked
But I decorate the threshold
Just in case you knocked
Kris
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Redlucifer » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:12 pm

I too, am a huge Jonatha fan. I think that like Patty, she's greatly underappreciated (which means yet again, she'll probably never make it to Australia).

I don't really have a favourite CD - they're all packed with beautiful, well-written songs. 'Back in the Circus' is probably my least favourite because of the cover songs ('God Only Knows' and 'Fire & Rain'), but I do love her stripped-down version of 'Eye In the Sky'.

Even though I haven't seen Jonatha in concert, I gather from reading her forum that she's a really lovely human being (she even wrote me a letter promising to get down to Australia one day).

waffles wrote:Also, she's writes on and is involved in the forum on her website. She doesn't write often, but she pops in to answer questions about songs and other more personal things. The funny thing is, you'd think that if she was actually reading things you'd think the fans on the forum would be nicer, but they are NOT. They are really rude. But it can be a neat place to lurk.

I have to agree with Waffles about that forum. For the thousands of members who have joined, it's usually only the same know-it-all people who post - I find the board quite static and boring, which is a shame.
Redlucifer
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:06 am

Just a suggestion for you Jonatha Brooke fans: www.wfuv.org has some great in-studio performances by her in its archives. I particularly enjoyed her on "Live From Studio A' and "Mixed Bag." You know the drill. Just click on the link to the station's web site and type her name in the archives box.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Nicoleee » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:30 am

Jonatha with my friends Kristin Cifelli ( far left), and Kyler England (right).
(and another singer/songwriter Adrianne)

Jonatha is their hero! Lucky them for meeting her! :D

I said to the sky
Do you want me to fly
The sky said, No
Ain't your turn to go

http://amillionkites.blogspot.com/
Nicoleee
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby B Minus Time Traveler » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:53 pm

I just downloaded "Inconsolable" on iTunes. Man, this song is really, really great (although, it loses me in the ending). I think I might have to get "Plumb."
"You know, I cried when I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. And then I laughed...really hard." - Jerri Blank
B Minus Time Traveler
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Kris » Tue May 03, 2005 4:33 pm

Oh Klary! Actually this is valuable to all you Euro-fans, but Jonatha is in Europe on tour right now and she's playing two shows in Amsterdam next month! Just thought you'd like to know!

Just in case you knocked
Kris
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Klary » Wed May 04, 2005 1:21 pm

Yeah, I was checking out her website and I was getting all excited, until I saw that she's opening for Joe Cocker in a soccer stadium. :(
How the little dreams we dream
are all we can really do
Klary
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Kris » Wed May 04, 2005 1:28 pm

Ooh, that's bad.

I know she doesn't really have a Euro fanbase yet, so you get what you get, I guess.

Just in case you knocked
Kris
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby notalone » Thu May 05, 2005 8:55 am

I only know her from the "I'll Try" song and video from Peter Pan: Return to Neverland, but it is quite nice.
Sometimes you wonder if your walking in the wrong direction.
notalone
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Redlucifer » Thu May 05, 2005 5:40 pm

notalone wrote:I only know her from the "I'll Try" song and video from Peter Pan: Return to Neverland, but it is quite nice.

Do yourself a favour and pick up a few CDs - she's great!
Redlucifer
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby TontoBronto » Thu May 05, 2005 7:52 pm

http://www.jonathabrooke.com/music/10centwings.php

Her site has alot of music samples.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Next

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)