Thea Gilmore

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby Klary » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:27 am

hey Marybeth,

if Elise sends me this Thea bootleg I'll be happy to burn you a copy.

Klary
How the little dreams we dream
are all we can really do
Klary
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Ian » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:25 am

Browsing the Manchester Academy website today (before seeing Patty there tonight) and what should I find but news of Thea Gilmore playing a date there at the start of July.

:D Thea Rocks!

BTW Elise, Thea's website is back up and running now

TheaGilmore.com
I still don't blame you for leaving baby... it's cold living with goats
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Ian » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:29 pm

This information, taken from an email from Sarah, Thea's manager, may explain the lull in activity surrounding Ms Gilmore.

We are delighted to announce that Thea has just signed a new record deal with Sanctuary Records, the biggest independent record label in the world (I think!). We'd like to thank John Williams and Paul Kernick at Sanctuary for their help in completing the deal and we are very much looking forward to working with them in the coming months.

So for most of June Thea has been slaving away over a hot mixing desk starting her new album at the wonderful Chapel Studios in deepest darkest Lincolnshire. We're all really thrilled with the way the tracks are going, and there have also been reports of some new and interesting collaborations, I'll have more on this subject in the coming months so keep an eye out.
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby marmalade » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:44 am

I've just got my copy of Harpo's Ghost and I think I'm going to love it. I've only dipped into it so far as I'm at work but I'll be listening to it properly as soon as I get home tonight.

And I've just found out that Thea is making an in store appearance at Border's in Oxford Street, London this Thursday and I'll be in London on Thursday :D Hooray!

There is a review of the cd here
http://www.thetrousers.co.uk/reviews/22 ... -harpo.htm

And I found this quite interesting as well
http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/musi ... 218257.ece
marmalade
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Fool On Fire » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:39 pm

You got your copy already??

/runs away to check the mailbox/

~Elise
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Fool On Fire » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:15 pm

I already plugged this in the "what's in your CD player" thread, but it's worth another round of gushing...

I got my copy of Harpo's Ghost in the mail today. It. is. fucking. great. It's got all the folk-rock energy of Lipstick Conspiracies and the sonic landscapes of Avalanche... and of course Thea's songwriting is as razor-sharp, superbly literate, and fascinating as ever. She writes sweet love songs and scathing political diatribes with equal precision and prescience. AND (all Ani and Tori Amos fans take note) despite a whole lot of change and happiness in her personal life, she hasn't lost any of her edge. Woohoo! :D

this CD isn't coming out of the player for a while,
~Elise
I've become the beggar now, and you've become the saint somehow
twist the words and place the blame, and tell me now, aren't we the same?

-- Amy Ray

born under a bad sign, been down since I began to crawl
if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

-- Albert King

the saints and all the martyrs look down on dying converts
"what makes the water holy," she said, "is that it's the closest thing to rain..."

-- Josh Ritter

...the blues is the roots...everything else is the fruits...
Fool On Fire
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby RedEarth » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:07 pm

Fool On Fire wrote:I already plugged this in the "what's in your CD player" thread, but it's worth another round of gushing...

I got my copy of Harpo's Ghost in the mail today. It. is. fucking. great. It's got all the folk-rock energy of Lipstick Conspiracies and the sonic landscapes of Avalanche... and of course Thea's songwriting is as razor-sharp, superbly literate, and fascinating as ever. She writes sweet love songs and scathing political diatribes with equal precision and prescience. AND (all Ani and Tori Amos fans take note) despite a whole lot of change and happiness in her personal life, she hasn't lost any of her edge. Woohoo! :D

this CD isn't coming out of the player for a while,
~Elise

Psst! Elise... you make a perfect music critic.
Jessica

I don't know but I'm set to find out, I don't know but I'm a gonna find out
RedEarth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:20 am

I second that!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Ian » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:57 pm

Yeehaw!

Thea's playing at The Sugarmill in Stoke next month.

Sweet Jesus, I wish I could book you all in for this gig, you'd love it, especialy Elise.. awww, why didn't I buy that teleporter on Ebay :D

This club is like, so tiny, a real dive.... I love it. The last time I saw her play there, the bass riffs almost punched holes in my stomach... yes peeps, it was that loud but not over-amplified (if that makes sense).

It's gona be a great show and as it's on a Monday, I'm almost certain not to be on the road working whooooohooooo!

I'll try and bring you some pics, if I can get my head around using my new camera :?
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Ian » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:01 pm

I so cannot wait for this gig

Cheap Tricks(YouTube)

interesting footnote.. the guy that posted this video was once a member on the other board, if not on this one?
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby marmalade » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:54 am

There is a really great Thea interview here.

http://www.thetrousers.co.uk/issues/four/thea_main.htm
marmalade
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Ian » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:05 pm

WoW!

Thea never disappoints, last nights gig was superb.
I shot some video on my phone, so I'll see if it can be uploaded at some point.

Thea has obviously been a busy girl since her last tour because in addition to releasing Harpo's Ghost, she's obviously very pregnant :D
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Ian » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:38 am

Great fun having a mini meet with Marmalade and one of Pattynet's unspoken friends, Andrey of Moscow, at Thea's show in Oxford last night.

Thea was, as always, terrific. I did, however, think that we were going to need those clean towels that were scattered around the stage when she started bouncing around towards the end of the gig.
(seven months pregnant and still rocking......... you go girl) :D

Hope to upload more images at a later date (subject to Marm's approval lol)

Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby marmalade » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:26 am

Thea Gilmore was absolutely amazing at Zodiac in Oxford on Friday night and I had a wonderful time with Ian and his friend Andrey :D

Zodiac is a great music venue but it is situated on Cowley Road. Let’s just say it’s one of the more colourful areas in Oxford, a street where ordinary, sensible people usually fear to tread (especially after dark).

Anyway, we arrived early and were eventually allowed in after a bizzare airport style interrogation by some mean looking bouncers. (Are these two gentlemen yours? Have they been out of your sight at any time? Have they paid you for their tickets? etc). Thankfully I must have answered all my questions correctly because we were suddenly released and allowed to squeeze through the tiny turnstile.

Once inside, we were pleased to find that things were much friendlier. Thea was playing in a room upstairs which has a capacity of 450. And luckily we were able to nab prime spots at the front of the stage before the place filled up.

The support act Dan Arborise played for about 30 minutes and he was quite good. He’s great when he’s singing but his guitar playing takes up most of each song and just seems to go on and on for ever. The last song was the worst. Ian had already warned us about it but I still thought it was never going to end.

There was a short break to allow for set up etc but excitement really started to mount as soon as the band took to the stage. Then Thea herself strode out to thunderous applause only to slip and fall head first across the stage. There was a sort of stunned silence for a few seconds (remember she’s 7 months pregnant) as she crashed down onto her hands and knees but it was soon obvious that she hadn’t hurt herself. Phew! Not exactly the entrance she had hoped for but other than looking a bit embarrassed she seemed to see the funny side of it.

Thea was dressed in jeans and a skin tight black top which showed off her bump magnificently. And there was a lovely moment near the start when she patted her stomach and turned from side to side, grinning and said ‘ I’ve brought a friend along with me.’

The setlist was fabulous, a good mix of Harpo’s Ghost and old favourites. So we were treated to - Call Me Your Darling, Have You Heard, Contessa, Cheap Tricks, Everybody’s Numb, Juliet, Crazy Love, The List, Holding Your Hand, Slow Journey II, Red White and Black, This Girl Is Taking Bets, We Built A Monster, Rags and Bones, Mainstream, Play Until The Bottles Gone and Heart String Blues amongst others.

Thea had to leave the stage mid way through the set for a comfort break (when a pregnant woman’s got to go, she’s got to go) but the band carried on with Nigel Stonier on vocals. The band were fabulous throughout and as for Thea, she was on fire. She was simply magnificent.

Thanks to my hero, Ian, I secured one of the setlists at the end of the gig and Thea kindly signed it for me. So I couldn’t have been happier. And as we left, believe it or not, we were all given a free DVD. It was a three track acoustic performance from Harpo’s Ghost featuring Cheap Tricks, Everybody’s Numb, and Red, White & Black. And it’s wonderful, I’ve watched it tons of times already. I love it.

Ian and Andrey both took some photos and captured some footage so I’m eagerly awaiting the results. And Andrey was even approached by a reviewer from BBC Oxford asking to use some of his photos. So I shall be checking out the BBC Oxford website as well!

If Thea is performing anywhere near you, I urge you to go and see her. You won’t be disappointed. I’ll certainly be attending another gig before the end of this tour if I possibly can.
marmalade
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Ian » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:13 pm

:D Great review Marmalade, thanks for that. Like you, I've damned nearly worn that three track DVD out already

:( Disaster struck on the way to Bilston tonight (in the form of a mechanical breakdown), so I didn't get to see the Alex Harvey Band or to meet Andrey for a second time.

So, with time on my hands I mailed the above photo off to the BBC guy and uploaded one of the shorter video clips I took with my phone.
The sound isn't up to much, as you'd expect but it's a nice reminder of a great night out.

Thea at the zodiac
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)