Allison Moorer

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:05 pm

Allison speaks, for the first time in a long time.

Her journal entry: (made me tear up a little)

08/04/05
Edmonton, Alberta CANADA
Hey Y'all.

I've wanted to post a new journal entry here several times over the past months, but I kinda felt like I'd been run off my own website. I'm back now.

I've been surprised, shocked, and even heartbroken at some of the things I've read here, and if I believed even one-tenth of the negative things that have been said about me (and Steve Earle) I'd have probably thrown myself in front of a bus by now. But since I don't, you'll all be pleased to know that I am healthy and happy. The healthiest and happiest I've been in some time.

Yes, my life has changed drastically in the past year. Change is always hard, but mostly always needed when it comes. Here's what I've been doing:

I've played a lot of shows, which I'm very proud of. I've always loved playing with a band, and I still prefer it over playing solo, but I needed to figure out how to do one of the things a singer-songwriter does, and that's get up in front of people without a band to prop you up get the job done. Also, record labels don't provide tour support for an artist between albums to take a band on the road. I had the opportunity to work, so I decided to take it instead of staying home. Wouldn't you?

I've seen a lot of the world, which makes me very happy and grateful. I got to spend two months in Europe this summer and it did wonders for my perspective.

I'm working on new music that I'm very proud of, and as soon as I have what I think is an album full of great songs, I'm going to go in the studio and make a new record.

The end of my marriage was hard for everyone involved. I don't feel like I should even have to say that but I do feel like I'm being forced to take up for myself here. So that's all I'll say, except for this: half of what you see and none of what you hear is true. You can bet that if someone isn't directly involved in a situation they don't know what they're talking about and are usually just making stuff up to make themselves seem important and "in the know." I am the same person regardless of who I'm married to. I'm just trying to become a better version, like everyone else.

Thanks to those of you who have stood by me - knowing that you're out there has lifted me up on more than a couple of occasions.

I'll be doing this more regularly now. I hope to see you guys around. I'll be looking for you.

Love
Allison
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Arlene » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:51 am

Hey Elizabeth- In case you didn't see this from The Tennessean: "Singer/songwriters Allison Moorer and Steve Earle were married Thursday at the Hermitage Hotel in Nashville. No other details were available."
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:25 pm

Sweet Jesus and Mary, I just registered on Allison's forum and read some of the fans' posts. What a self-righteous bunch of a**holes, lol.

Who needs enemies with fans like those? :?
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Ian » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:33 pm

Was introduced to Allison Moorer's music for the first time last week, courtesy of the Bob Harris show here in the UK. Wow! can't wait to hear more.

Any rec's for which album to get first?

It ought to be the one from which the track I heard was lifted but I can't remember the title.

Think the lyrics were "I aint givin up on you" and there was a lot of 'Neil Young' like guitar work going on in the background.
I still don't blame you for leaving baby... it's cold living with goats
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Arlene » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:22 pm

Ian wrote:Any rec's for which album to get first? It ought to be the one from which the track I heard was lifted but I can't remember the title. Think the lyrics were "I aint givin up on you"

That would be "I Ain't Giving Up On You" :wink: from "The Duel," her most recent studio release of new material. I'd start with that or maybe with her most recent CD, The Definitive Collection, which is a retrospective of songs from all of her records. (You can't go wrong no matter where you start.)
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Ian » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:38 pm

If you haven't seen the DVD 'Show' yet, then try these vid's.

Allison's performance of 'Going down' is the Mutt's nuts

Videos

8)
I still don't blame you for leaving baby... it's cold living with goats
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:52 pm

keith from ny wrote:Sweet Jesus and Mary, I just registered on Allison's forum and read some of the fans' posts. What a self-righteous bunch of a**holes, lol.

Who needs enemies with fans like those? :?

I have been a member of Allison's board for a long time. Before she and Butch broke up/ before her and Steve got together, there was never a negative word spoken about Allison. I mean NEVER.

It's kind of sad because if someone said stuff about Allison on the board, Butch would defend her. Now nobody is. Barely any of the original posters post anymore. I don't. There is no point.

All those assholes posting over there are not fans of Allison's, I am assuming they are from Steve's boards.

If I was Allison I would just get rid of the damn thing.
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:09 am

WARNING!!!! I am about to bad mouth my beloved Allison, kinda.

I know in my last post I called the people criticizing Allison assholes. While I fully stand by that statement (they reallly are) I am pissed.

The only complaint I have had with Allison and Steve being together is Allison comes off as his back-up singer. Allison is better than that. She shouldn't be anybody's back-up singer.

Now I have another problem. During recent shows I heard she wrote and is performing a song called "Hallaleujah". That was all fine and well...until I heard it.

My first thought upon hearing it was "WTF, is Steve brainwashing her???"

A year ago Allison seemed to hate the idea of God. In fact she actually sang "In this cemetary mist stands a new born atheist. Even if you do exsist, you're far from almighty".

Now it's "Thank god I found my wings in time....Hallaleujah, Hallaleujah, Hallaleujah....." Or something like that.

I am really depressed over this. To me it seems she has taken on Steve's way of thinking (about religion). I know it's none of my business, blah blah blah. But I want Allison back the way she was before. She was pissed off and I identified with that. I can't identify with her singing Hallaleujah thank you lord!!

It's not my fault either. If she hadn't made a WHOLE ALBUM about losing/struggling with faith, it wouldn't be a big deal. But I believed that was who she is and now she has changed.

If I got with a preacher tomorrow I wouldn't magically believe in "God" and be going to church and singing Hallaleujah.

Allison wake up!!!

Ok, rant over. Call me a hypocrite, call me a freak, call me a weird obsesso fan. I am all of those things :twisted:
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby keith from ny » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:01 am

Is Steve Earle religious? News to me, but in any event I would characterize him as one of the more pissed off musicians I know, at least from a political perspective (and I love him for it).

Allison was never literally an atheist, as she took pains to explain when she introduced The Duel when I saw her in Brooklyn last year. In fact, I got the impression from her various remarks that she was a rather God-fearing person.
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:44 am

Elizabeth- I've seen Steve Earle in concert more than a dozen times and I've never had the sense that he has strong religious views. I haven't heard Allison sing the song you are referring to but are you sure it's not "just" a song she's singing? (For example, I've heard Joan Baez sing The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down but I don't think she regrets the fact that the South lost the Civil War. :wink: )
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:42 pm

I thought Steve was pretty religious. Some of his songs seem to be. Am I wrong? I could be.

Allison was raised in a very religious household. But when she lost her parents (and other people close to her) she started questioning what she was taught. She has made it VERY clear she doesn't have much faith in "God" many times over. I get the impression she is very spiritual, but definitely not "God-fearing". I can't speak for Allison but her music over the years has done the talking. Again, I could be wrong.

And yes Arlene, I have heard that "Hallaleujah" was written, recently by Allison. She has sung it very frequently since touring with Steve.

I hope everyone didn't take me too seriously. My whole post was a rant and partially tongue in cheek.

Lastly, I was to reiterate that I have MUCH respect for Steve's music. I love a lot of his music. And most importantly I love his message.

I doubt I am the only one who has thought there seems to be a change in Allison. Hell, she even sounds different! As a fan, I want her to be happy and make great music. That's all.
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

I know I am obsessed about this but....

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:26 am

I transcribed the lyrics of Hallelujah.

This song was written by Allison not long ago.

I ain’t good at letting go
I hold on, cause I guess I know
Consequences come around to call
Maybe I’m a little late
Learning it’s alright to pay (or pray?) but
Sometimes it’s either fly or fall

Wings are hard to find
Thank god I found mine in time

Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah

What I brought is all I keep
It ain’t a lot but it’s mine, you see
And it’s all that’s worth having anyway
The first steps the toughest one
And even though it’s done
I still got plenty left to take

Faith is hard to find
Thank god I found mine in time

Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah

Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah

It sounds like she has had a revelation of some kind.
I am totally sold that this is about religion but listening to it closely it could also be about her divorce.
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Arlene » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:05 am

Hmmm. I had assumed that this song was about breaking up with Butch-- my thinking is/was based on the line about "what I brought is all I keep"
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Elizabeth » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:24 am

keith from ny wrote:If any of you Allison fans are interested, I have a first-rate recording of her show at Mercury Lounge in NYC last summer, an amazing performance I attended myself. Her band is totally killer (even if Adam Landry is a fanatical Red Sox fan) and she's a real sweetheart, taking the time to talk to all her fans after her shows at Mercury Lounge and Southpaw in Brooklyn last year. And wow, that woman can sing!

I was making a copy of this for someone and I just cannot get over this recording. Easily the best Allison show I am lucky enough to own.

Keith, you are so lucky! It must have been amazing to be there.

Look at how close you were!!

I was also making a mix cd and I know I am a nerd but listening back through it, I just was overwhelmed. I cried a little, a couple of times. I just love the music so much.

I know her music will change now (that saddens me to no end), I only hope it doesn't stop.
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby keith from ny » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:25 am

It was indeed amazing to be there, and it was really amazing to be at her Southpaw appearance in Brooklyn a couple of weeks later when the guy who made the recording (I still don't know his name) was handing it out to a few of us who had been at the Mercury Lounge show. I was close enough to bite Allison's ankle at both of those shows. And that little woman sure can belt out a song!

Yeah, I'm really hoping we see her back out on the road before too long (preferably without Steve, much as I love the guy) too. Your time will come, Elizabeth.
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)