Allison Moorer

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby Elizabeth » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:54 am

There are no words...

(from Allison's journal)

"The BIG NEWS is that the new album is in the can and delivered to the label and I absolutely adore it. It's called "Getting Somewhere" and will be released on June 13. I can't wait for you guys to hear it. It's kind of a new direction for me (but not as big a new direction as one might expect) - mainly because I wrote all the songs myself except for one. And I'm so happy I did - it was high time. We recorded it really quickly (10 days) and the musicians were fabulous. I'm excited about getting it out there and then getting out again and playing with a band."

Ok, I have a few words. Oh my fucking god, I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Turk » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:15 am

Elizabeth wrote:Ok, I have a few words. Oh my fucking god, I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!

Count me in, Liz. This woman can do no wrong. She is beyond country music. She is beyond today's music. She is definately ahead of her time.

Just wait.
In 10 years, she'll be what the music industry thought it should have been years ago.....and then some.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:59 pm

Best news I've heard all day! :D
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:06 pm

There's lot's of reasons I'd like to be a recording artist but one is so I could get advance copies of friends' new CDs three or more months before they are released. Emmylou Harris has a section on her web site where she lists what she's listening to (something I wish Patty would do) and here's this month's list:

Kathleen Edwards - "Back to Me"
Allison Moorer - "Getting Somewhere"
Marshall Chapman - "Mellowicious", in particular "Call the Lamas"
Abigail Washburn - "Song of the Travelling Daughter"
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:34 pm

Allison has a new Myspace page: www.myspace.com/allisonmoorer

Her list of influences:

Bob Dylan, Neil Young, The Band, The Pretenders, Badfinger, Beatles, Tom Petty, early Bee Gees, Dusty Springfield, Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris, Faces, Merle Haggard, Hank Williams, Randy Newman, The Rolling Stones

Pretty cool.

The new albums release date is getting closer!! I would freakin' kill someone for an advance copy.
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Arlene » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:58 am

Elizabeth wrote:Her list of influences:

Bob Dylan, Neil Young, The Band, The Pretenders, Badfinger, Beatles, Tom Petty, early Bee Gees, Dusty Springfield, Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris, Faces, Merle Haggard, Hank Williams, Randy Newman, The Rolling Stones

Interesting that she didn't list Steve Earle or her sister.

And early Bee Gees????
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby keith from ny » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:30 pm

Elizabeth wrote:Her list of influences:

Pretty cool.

The new albums release date is getting closer!! I would freakin' kill someone for an advance copy.

LOL, I like the way Allison says early Bee Gees. They were actually very soulful in their unique kinda way before they went disco (no offense, Fred).

Now don't you be killing Emmylou, Elizabeth! ;)
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:42 pm

keith from ny wrote:Now don't you be killing Emmylou, Elizabeth! ;)

Now, Randy Newman is another story. I'll even provide weapons and help dispose of properly.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:52 pm

oh yeah, the early bee gees rocked.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Ian » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:54 pm

keith from ny wrote: I like the way Allison says early Bee Gees. They were actually very soulful in their unique kinda way before they went disco

Yeah, it's a tragedy :wink:
I still don't blame you for leaving baby... it's cold living with goats
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Allison Moorer (With New CD News)

Postby deaeterna » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:51 pm

http://www.sugarhillrecords.com/pub/pub ... son+Moorer

Info from the liner notes:

Allison Moorer: Getting Somewhere SUG-CD-4012

1. Work To Do 2:51
2. You’ll Never Know 2:32
3. Hallelujah 3:25
4. Fairweather 3:29
5. New Year’s Day 2:58
6. How She Does It 2:59
7. Where You Are 2:43
8. Take It So Hard 3:32
9. If It’s Just For Today 3:40
10. Getting Somewhere 2:47

Produced by Steve Earle

Musicians:
Brady Blade: drums
Chris Carmichael: strings and string arrangement on 7
Steve Earle: guitars on 1, 7, moog on 4, angus vocal on 9
Jim Hoke: horns and horn arrangement on 9
Doug Lancio: guitars
Brad Jones: bass
Allison Moorer: vocals, guitars on 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, tambourine, background vocals on 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10

All songs written by Allison Moorer except for “Fairweather,” written by Allison Moorer and Steve Earle

Some biographical info:

In the moments that launch her sixth album, an electric guitar cranks out a power chord, and Allison Moorer makes a powerful declaration:
"I've got a lot of work to do"

With these words, the Alabama born-and-bred singer embarks upon an intensely personal, yet instantly recognizable, journey. For Moorer, Getting Somewhere means looking inward, confronting the past and forging a glad present and a hopeful future. In the process, she takes her artistry to the next level and revolutionizes her life.

For the first time in her nearly decade-long career, Moorer wrote every song on her new album (her second for Sugar Hill), produced by husband Steve Earle. What emerged from her pen -- and her guitar -- are ten melodic rock 'n' roll gems, succinctly stated in just under 32 minutes. "I didn't worry about who was going to like it or what was expected of me. I had a revelation that it was all right to express myself. When I listen to these songs, I can hear myself growing by leaps and bounds from the time I wrote the first song to the time I finished the last one.”

The changes in 33-year-old Moorer's life over the last couple of years have been profound. In 2004, she toured as Steve Earle's opening act. Her marriage to musical collaborator Doyle “Butch” Primm ended and she and Steve fell in love. "We wanted to do this right, and that meant getting married. I think proximity is one of the keys to a good relationship."

The couple spends most of their time in a modest apartment in New York City's Greenwich Village. "We came here to start fresh," says Moorer. "[New York] is something that's just ours." But they also live part-time just outside of Nashville, where Getting Somewhere was recorded in a whirlwind ten-day session.

Teaming with Earle was a different experience for Moorer than before. Though Earle's influence is felt in the big drums, dirty guitar sounds and backwards solos that have characterized some of his own work, the vision is uniquely Moorer's. "'You'll Never Know' is about me not being able to express myself the way I want," she says. "Musically, it's one of my favorite songs on the record. The way the verses go seamlessly into the choruses and the structure of it makes it one of my favorite things I’ve ever written. It was also a turning point. That song opened up a door for me to write melodies that are -- for lack of a better word -- pop." Writing the song itself presented a unique challenge. "I was on an airplane, flying across the country, with no tape recorder," Moorer explains. "I didn't want to lose the melody, so I thought of the scales in my mind, took out a piece of paper and wrote down the notes as numbers."

"You'll Never Know" dovetails gracefully out of "Work to Do" a defiant, positive kiss-off to the past. "I wrote that song for girls, and really for anybody who ever let someone tell them that they weren't good enough, that they couldn't do something they wanted to do," she says. "It's hard to erase negative stuff. If someone gives you a compliment, you forget about it in five minutes. If someone says something negative to you or about you, you'll carry it around with you for the rest of your life. It's something I've had to work on and continue to have to work on.”
If Moorer is taking her own inventory in Getting Somewhere's first three songs, the album's mid-section finds her dealing with ghosts and taking the reigns of her own creative process. "None of these songs are made up out of nothing, they all came from something I was experiencing at that moment or had experienced earlier." she says. "'New Year's Day' is about my childhood, a glimpse into how I grew up. 'Black-eyed peas in a plastic bowl on New Year's Day/sittin' in my swing-set swing to get away/ sissy says 'don't worry, it'll be ok' / so we do what we always do – stay out of the way.'] That really happened."
Moorer's childhood has cast a long, notorious shadow over her life. When she was only fourteen her parents died in a murder-suicide. In the song "How She Does It," Moorer revisits this defining event. "I wrote that song for my mother," she says. "It's me rewriting history. It was the first time I really realized my power as a writer. It hit me that I don't have to tell it as it is, I can tell it as I want it to be. [This time] she gets away."
It's an absolutely stunning moment, one that sets the tone for the album's sunset, culminating in the title track's dark-sounding but ultimately optimistic closer ["I close my eyes and whisper a prayer / I have to believe I'm getting somewhere"]. "I've come to terms with a lot of stuff and [decided] I'm going to give up this angst. I don't need it," Moorer says. "I've stopped wondering whether or not there is a god. I do believe in god. I'm sure I do for the first time in my life. And I'm really happy for the first time in my life."

From the fat electric power chords of the opening track, to the thick acoustic strum and snare drum shuffle of "How She Does It," to the melancholy string section and classic melodic structure of "Where You Are," Getting Somewhere is filled with captivating, gorgeous sounds, including Moorer's dusky alto, which has never sounded better. More than anything else, though, Getting Somewhere is the sound of an artist finding her voice, finding her faith, finding her peace.
Last edited by deaeterna on Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deaeterna
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby keith from ny » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:15 pm

Man, I cannot wait to hear this album! And Steve Earle is one of my favorite producers ever, not to mention Doug Lancio playing guitar -- Allison deserves the best.

Thanks Tracy!
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Re: Allison Moorer - Getting Somewhere

Postby Arlene » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:27 pm

deaeterna wrote: "[New York] is something that's just ours."

Yours and 12 million other people. :wink:

Actually-- it's an interesting article. Thanks for posting it.
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby deaeterna » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:34 am

Allison's version of "Marie", the song she recorded for the upcoming Randy Newman tribute album, is up on her myspace page. Enjoy!!

http://www.myspace.com/allisonmoorer
deaeterna
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:19 pm

Allison's new single "Fairweather" was played yesterday on Bob Harris Country (BBC Radio 2).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/bobha ... l?focuswin

Follow the link and you can relisten to the show. "Fairweather" is the last song played, but there is fast forward option (however, Thad Cockrell and Caitlin Cary are the in studio guest, definitely worth a listen!).

I read the album was going to be an "upbeat pop album", by the sounds of the first single, I would agree. Very different for Allison.

Tour dates are popping up on her website too.

(crossing my fingers and toes Allison plays here)
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)