Allison Moorer

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby Elizabeth » Sat May 06, 2006 12:00 am

Tonight, I want to cry. Allison is playing here in July and I, under no circumstances, can go. I am a little relieved because she is only opening for Chris Isaak, it's not a solo show. I swear, there is a some higher power keeping me from Allison.

But anyways, someone posted a link on her site to new song samples!!!!

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/ ... 1225&ITM=7

I caved and listened to them, it sounds like she has done it again, my friends.
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby deaeterna » Thu May 18, 2006 10:40 pm

Allison's "Getting Somewhere" is now available for a listen at:

http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/moorer_al ... lbum.jhtml

TMR
deaeterna
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Arlene » Sat May 20, 2006 7:51 pm

Thanks Tracy.

FYI. Doug Lancio's distinctive guitar work is all over Allison Moorer's new CD.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Elizabeth » Fri May 26, 2006 9:57 pm

Allison played a live show today on WXPN. It can be found here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=5432191

The new album is coming out so soon!! I can't believe it!
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Arlene » Sun May 28, 2006 3:00 pm

Elizabeth- This one's for you. A link to the article about Allison in the current issue of HARP magazine: http://harpmagazine.com/articles/detail ... le_id=4288

And there's a nice picture of her with Kathleen Edwards and Emmylou Harris on top of the Emmylou article: http://harpmagazine.com/articles/detail ... le_id=4285
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:27 pm

Elizabeth- FYI. On http://www.wfuv.org:

THURSDAY, JUNE 8 (Eastern Standard Time)

9-10 PM, Words and Music from Studio A: Music is even more of a family business for Allison Moorer these days, and she's happier because of it. She came by WFUV to fill Claudia Marshall in on the stories behind her new CD, Going Somewhere, and to preview a few of the new songs.

(This should be archived at some point, but I'm not sure when.)
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:50 am

Tracy posted a great interview with Allison on her blog:

http://www.popmatters.com/music/intervi ... 0609.shtml
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:32 pm

That is a fantastic interview. Much more indepth than most.

It is great to see Allison so at peace and calm, you can't help but wish that for someone who went through what she did. I will miss the "angst" ridden Allison but you can't be mad at her for being happy. She deserves it.

I took issue with one part, however;

"Like "The Duel" - the line is "In the cemetery mist / Stands a newborn atheist." I was never an atheist -- never, ever. That character was........But yeah, that character in "The Duel" was not me."

Dude, I specifically remember her saying this song was about her and how she felt after her Uncle died. I believe she was never an actual "atheist". But she said it was about her when the album came out. Not that it matters, but whatever.

Anyway, I am buying this album tomorrow morning, first thing, You all better do the same!! :twisted:
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:58 pm

It sounds really great, Elizabeth!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:14 pm

I am so in love with this album, it is scary.

I will now bore you all with my review (granted, someone actually reads it).

Work To Do - One of my favorites. Unfortunately, I can relate. Kick ass song.

You'll Never Know - So, so pretty. Gives me little flutters in my tummy. Love it!

Hallelujah - I believe I trashed this song after hearing it for the first time. I actually like the album version a whole lot more than the live version. I don't believe I could enjoy a song containing the word Hallelujah that many times, as much as this one. But seriously, it puts a smile on my face.

Fairweather - Cute. I could have lived without it. It's unfortunate that this was the choice for the first single.

New Years Day - I am a sucker for the guitar work on this song. It is perhaps the only "Duel"-esq. song on the album. Another favorite.

How She Does It - I like how New Years Day and this song kind of blend into one, two songs which appear to be completely about her Mom. Every time I hear this song I remember what Allison said, "This time, she gets away". That is deep.

Where You Are - Another beautiful melody. This one was dedicated to Shelby. When I hear this one I think of how proud their Mother would be of both her daughters.

Take It So Hard - Great hook and melody. Great lyrics as well. I have to sing "Wild Thing" at the opening riff. Can't help it.

If It's Just For Today - Ummm. I can't take this one seriously. I just can't. This song, dedicated to Steve, is far too ironic given his track record. "You got me for as long as I get to stay, even if it's just for today," indeed.

Getting Somewhere - Allison's voice is real strong on this track. It's a simple little tune but I love the message "I have to believe I'm getting somewhere". Her "political" song, subtle but effective.

I am totally sold on this effort, however, I believe it is too short. If you blink, you'll miss it.

I am a fan of the old pop sound so I really like that aspect. But I don't like the strain in Allison's voice trying to sing higher and lighter, where is the drawl and the butter?

You can definitely hear that Butch's influence is gone. And you can now tell how much of the past efforts were him and what was her. It's sad to me. But Steve did a nice job producing.

It is also sucky that Allison is opening for Steve instead of playing solo shows. It's just disappointing. I have said it before, she is not an opening act.

I can't lie and say this totally blew me away like "The Duel" or "The Hardest Part" or even "Miss Fortune" did, I think those albums are all better than this one. All I know is I haven't been able to stop listening and I love love love it. For her first "solo" album, she did a damn fine job.

Man, I could go all night.....
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Turk » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:51 am

Elizabeth wrote:How She Does It - I like how New Years Day and this song kind of blend into one, two songs which appear to be completely about her Mom. Every time I hear this song I remember what Allison said, "This time, she gets away". That is deep.

Where You Are - Another beautiful melody. This one was dedicated to Shelby. When I hear this one I think of how proud their Mother would be of both her daughters.

Did Allison and Shelby have the same mother?

Love your blow-by-blow, E.
Although you are a rabid fan of AM, and given that I've yet to hear the record, it felt like you gave a rather unbiased review. Kudos and Bravo.
I can't wait to hear it.
Thanks for the (p)review.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:58 pm

Turk wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:How She Does It - I like how New Years Day and this song kind of blend into one, two songs which appear to be completely about her Mom. Every time I hear this song I remember what Allison said, "This time, she gets away". That is deep.

Did Allison and Shelby have the same mother?

Love your blow-by-blow, E.
Although you are a rabid fan of AM, and given that I've yet to hear the record, it felt like you gave a rather unbiased review. Kudos and Bravo.
I can't wait to hear it.
Thanks for the (p)review.

Yep, I believe they have the same mother and father.

And thanks Turk :D
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby keith from ny » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:00 pm

Allison will be playing at the Housing Works Bookstore Friday July 21 with "special guests" (I can guess who one of them might be) to an audience that will include me. :)

Tickets on sale here.
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:28 am

keith from ny wrote:Allison will be playing at the Housing Works Bookstore Friday July 21 with "special guests" (I can guess who one of them might be) to an audience that will include me. :) .

I'm in!!!
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:30 pm

Elizabeth- Did you see that there's a new video by Allison for "Fairweather?" See http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/moorer_al ... tist.jhtml
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)