Allison Moorer

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:30 pm

Arlene wrote:Elizabeth- Did you see that there's a new video by Allison for "Fairweather?" See http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/moorer_al ... tist.jhtml

Thanks Arlene! I have seen the video on her site. It's cute!

You and Keith have fun at the Housing Works show!! Applaud extra loud for me, please!

Anybody else care to share their opinions on the new album?
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby keith from ny » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:23 pm

Elizabeth wrote:You and Keith have fun at the Housing Works show!! Applaud extra loud for me, please!

Anybody else care to share their opinions on the new album?

Oh we will, Elizabeth! (and we will) :D

The new album just arrived in a big box from Amazon this morning, although it has some competition:

I'm sure I'll have something to say about it soon.
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Elizabeth » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:38 pm

Wow, that is some competition!

It's awesome to see Allison mixed in with all that fine music.

Btw, the new Johnny Cash is fucking killing me at the moment.

Enjoy!
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby bivester » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:38 pm

keith from ny wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:I'm sure I'll have something to say about it soon.

you know, it does very little for me. and i've given it plenty of chances and it's just not gettin' thru to me. :cry:

i love and am a huge fan of allison and have turned many, many people on to her music, including keith i believe. like i said, i love allison, and i am a huge fan of steve earle's but imho, this collaboration just didn't work, for me anyway.
"well, i'll bet you can't pronounce 'b-a-n-g-o-r' correctly any better than i can say 'louisville'... " ~patty to me after the kentucky theatre show

"and i'm so twitterpated about bill, i just tuned the wrong guitar...i said twitterpated, that's what i said." ~karin bergquist @ cst | dayton (sat | 04.09.2005)

bivester:concert photographs
bivester
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby keith from ny » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:38 pm

Yes, I do have Bill to thank for Allison and her sister Shelby, among a number of other musicians I've grown to love. :)

My initial reaction to Allison's Getting Somewhere is similar to the reaction I had to Eliza Gilkyson's Lost and Found (which followed the wonderful Hard Times In Babylon) -- "Wow, I liked her a lot better when she was unhappy!" I could listen to Allison sing just about anything, and I think New Year's Day and Getting Somewhere are really good songs and maybe the rest of them will grow on me, but despite Doug Lancio on guitar and Steve Earle producing, so far I think most of this album is pretty unexciting and nowhere near as good as The Duel.

Eliza came back with the fierce and brilliant Land of Milk and Honey, and I'm sure Allison has some killer albums in her future too.
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:09 pm

Truly tortured musicians are the best. :wink:

I'm going to see my dad next week and he's a BIG Alllison fan. I'll ask him what he thinks.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:52 am

Just to weigh in here- I don't think her recent album is her strongest and I agree that the "problem" seems to be that she's just too damn happy.

However-- and I'm VERY hesitant to say something like this publically-- given Steve Earle's track record in the marriage department (six divorces before he reached 50), I think there's a reasonable chance that within two or three years, she'll have some depressing subject matter to draw upon. For her sake, I hope not, but....
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:14 am

god, that IS awful! Can't a songwriter be happy and good??

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby elcorazon » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:23 am

Odd. I have only heard the new record one time through, and previously only heard "The Duel". But I think I like the new one better. I didn't really like "The Duel" all that much. This one has more punch I think. Maybe I didn't listen to the lyrics of The Duel enough to appreciate it, or to the lyrics of the new one enough to "not appreciate it" but anyway, I like the new record - and didn't really like the last one so much.

So much for the theory of having to be unhappy to make good music.

And interestingly enough, I've heard Mr. Earle debunk that theory many times as well. I mean, he's made some damn good music when his life was going pretty well, it seems to me. Of course, for someone as tortured as Earle, I guess he's always having enough problems to write about.
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby keith from ny » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:44 am

elcorazon wrote:So much for the theory of having to be unhappy to make good music.

And interestingly enough, I've heard Mr. Earle debunk that theory many times as well. I mean, he's made some damn good music when his life was going pretty well, it seems to me. Of course, for someone as tortured as Earle, I guess he's always having enough problems to write about.

I didn't mean to suggest "unhappy = good" as a general musical principle, I just found a parallel reaction for myself in these two particular cases (Allison M and Eliza G). My two favorite Steve Earle albums are the ones he made right after he cleaned up and got out of prison, Train a Comin' and I Feel Alright, both of which are pretty upbeat.
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby elcorazon » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:23 pm

keith from ny wrote:
elcorazon wrote:So much for the theory of having to be unhappy to make good music.

I didn't mean to suggest "unhappy = good" as a general musical principle, I just found a parallel reaction for myself in these two particular cases (Allison M and Eliza G). My two favorite Steve Earle albums are the ones he made right after he cleaned up and got out of prison, Train a Comin' and I Feel Alright, both of which are pretty upbeat.

But his best, of course is El Corazon, you know.
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Ian » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:33 pm

marybeth wrote:Truly tortured musicians are the best. :wink:

a/ prepares the Brodequins for Marybeth :twisted:
I still don't blame you for leaving baby... it's cold living with goats
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby marybeth » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:27 pm

huh, what are Brodequins?

marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Ian » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:31 pm

marybeth wrote:huh, what are Brodequins?

Instruments of torture!
I still don't blame you for leaving baby... it's cold living with goats
Ian
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby keith from ny » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:07 pm

elcorazon wrote:
keith from ny wrote:I didn't mean to suggest "unhappy = good" as a general musical principle, I just found a parallel reaction for myself in these two particular cases (Allison M and Eliza G). My two favorite Steve Earle albums are the ones he made right after he cleaned up and got out of prison, Train a Comin' and I Feel Alright, both of which are pretty upbeat.

But his best, of course is El Corazon, you know.

Actually El Corazón would be #4 on my Steve Earle list (after the above and Guitar Town).

No offense! :wink:
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)