Allison Moorer

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Postby elcorazon » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:29 am

keith from ny wrote:
elcorazon wrote:
keith from ny wrote:I didn't mean to suggest "unhappy = good" as a general musical principle, I just found a parallel reaction for myself in these two particular cases (Allison M and Eliza G). My two favorite Steve Earle albums are the ones he made right after he cleaned up and got out of prison, Train a Comin' and I Feel Alright, both of which are pretty upbeat.

But his best, of course is El Corazon, you know.

Actually El Corazón would be #4 on my Steve Earle list (after the above and Guitar Town).

No offense! :wink:

none taken. I'll just continue to be aware of how incorrect your opinion is. Lately, I've been thinking that "The Mountain" is possibly his most impressive recording. And "Jerusalem" is quite underrated methinks. "Guitar Town" contains some gems, but sounds really dated to me.
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:11 am

well, dad says he's disappointed with the new Cd. But he's kind of set in his ways. It seems like those folks who were really into The Duel aren't crazy about this one.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Hugues » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:18 pm

I've only heard the track from the Paste sampler and find it simply awful. :shock:
Hugues
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby keith from ny » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:20 am

Arlene and I went to see Allison at the Housing Works Bookstore in NYC tonight. She was absolutely fabulous! I think many of the new songs sound better with just her and a guitar.

Chris Stills (Steve's kid) warmed up and Martha Wainwright sang with him.

It was a great night! :)

I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:47 am

It was SUCH a great evening. Keith and I literally had front row seats at the Housing Works Used Book Store and Cafe. It's an incredibly intimate place to see someone and the proceeds go to a wonderful cause-- providing support services to homeless New Yorkers living with AIDS and/or HIV.

Allison was in spectacular voice, and I agree with Keith. I like the new material much better when performed solo with a guitar (as opposed to on the record.)

BTW. I thought of Gillian because Allison mentioned that last month, for her birthday, Steve Earle had gotten her an adorable two pound chihuahua. (She's temporarily leaving the dog with him tomorrow when she flies to California for the start of her tour-- Steve commented that his job now is to introduce the puppy to his own dog and make sue he doesn't "eat it.")
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:33 am

Man, you guys are so lucky!!

Thanks for the pics and the reviews.

Keith, I think there are some people on Allison's board that would appreciate seeing those pics. Most of the assholes have disappeared and a few of the older fans are back. Just a thought.
Elizabeth
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby keith from ny » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:12 am

There's an article on Allison in Harp here.
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:46 pm

To see and hear video of Allison performing three songs live (Fairweather, Halleluijah and New Year's Day) on CMT's Sessions 330, go to http://www.cmt.com/music/studio_330_ses ... ance.jhtml
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:07 pm

There's a torrent available on dime--
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=107452

Smith's Olde Bar, Atlanta GA
14 August 2004

Excellent Audience Recording

Tracklist:
I Ain't Giving Up on You
Melancholy Polly
Baby Dreamer
Life's a Gas (T.Rex cover)
Louise is in the Blue Room
One On the House
Believe You Me
Jealous Guy (Lennon cover)
Going Down
All Aboard
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:43 am

Alison's is the guest on the current edition of Acoustic Cafe. See http://www.mlive.com/cafe/
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Tue May 08, 2007 12:02 pm

Keith (and all others who are interested)-- I just read that Allison's signed with New Line records and is going in to the studio to record a new record on June 11th with a producer she isn't yet identifying but says she hasn't worked with before. She says the record will either be out in the Fall or early 2008. It will be somwhat of a "new direction" for her. Hmmmm.

(She also says that Steve Earle is currently is the studio recording his next one.)
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby becmurr » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:17 pm

Allison & Steve will be playing at The Egg-have not seen either of them.....should I go?
becmurr
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby keith from ny » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:21 pm

Hi PattyPals,

Y'all can download mp3s of the very pretty show Allison and Shelby Lynne did together last night at Tarrytown Music Hall from this link:

http://tapers.org/kbergendorff/sl_am2010-11-27mp3.zip

This was recorded from 5th row center where Arlene and I were seated. The show wasn't very well amplified so I had to compress the crap out of the applause in order to get the vocals up to a reasonable level, but otherwise it sounds pretty nice. No track list cuz I don't know a lot of Shelby's songs.

Gerry was in the second row and got some amazing photos, hopefully he'll post a few here.

Enjoy!

Keith
Last edited by keith from ny on Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:49 pm

Hey, Keith -
I read Arlene's rave about this show on the Emmy site and I'm very excited to hear this but link doesn't work.

Hopefully soon?

And thanks so much!
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Gerry » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:57 pm

Hey everyone,

Here are some photos I took last night at the pretty show Allison and Shelby Lynne did together at Tarrytown Music Hall.

Great to see you as always Keith & Arlene!!

Enjoy!
Gerry

Gerry
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

PreviousNext

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)