Steve Earle

Yes, there's a whole world of music out there besides Patty.

Moderator: gillian

Steve Earle

Postby Arlene » Sun May 08, 2005 2:55 pm

FYI. If you want to see and hear a nice solo acoustic concert by Steve Earle, go to http://www.rte.ie/tv/othervoices/20050424otherv.html
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby TontoBronto » Sun May 08, 2005 4:31 pm

Thanks for the link! I had always loved Shawn Colvin's version of Earle's "Someday" (but not Steve's original on "Guitar Town") but this live acoustic version by Earle is great.
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby elcorazon » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:12 am

Steve's got a new live album out today. I haven't heard it yet, but I thought rather than muck up the Allison Moorer thread any further, I'd bump up the Earle thread (which really deserves more action anyway).
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Arlene » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:43 am

Keith and I had the chance to see Steve Earle perform a solo acoustic show at The Blue Note in NYC's Greenwich Village last night-- Allison Moorer opened. Others may already know this but for me the best news is that Steve is going in to record a new album in the middle of next month and he expects it to be released in September.

Also, others may already know this but I'm pretty sure that he will
be in more episodes of The Wire this or next season. He was wearing
a full beard (which is annoying when you play the harmonica) and he
said that because of The Wire, he couldn't shave it until July.

I didn't take down Allison's set list but here's Steve's set list:
01 Goodbye Guitar Town (I'm almost certain this is a new song)
02 Steve's Last Ramble
03 My Old Friend The Blues
04 Someday
05 Hard-Core Troubadour
06 Now She's Gone
07 Goodbye
08 The Mountain
09 Galway Girl
10 John Walker's Blues
11 Rich Man's War
12 Jerusalem
13 Where Have All the Flowers Gone (w/Allison)
14 Ellis Unit One
15 Transcendental Blues
Encore
16 Copperhead Road

Arlene
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby elcorazon » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:23 am

any word on whether it's a full band record, an acoutic affair, a bluegrass dukes record, or a hip hop record?
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Arlene » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:29 am

elcorazon wrote:any word on whether it's a full band record, an acoutic affair, a bluegrass dukes record, or a hip hop record?

He didn't say. The "chatter" on Exit-O, the Steve Earle Yahoo discussion board is that is will be solo acoustic, but that appears to be "just" speculation.
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby elcorazon » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:06 pm

I'm rooting for a record with the Bluegrass Dukes. Even better if he trading songwriting/singing duties with Tim and Darrell, but even if it's all Steve, that'd be what I'd most like to hear. Based on the speed of the project, I'm betting it might be solo, which doesn't excite me as much.

I didn't really care for that live solo record too much. Seemed unnecessary to me.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby keith from ny » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:00 pm

Allison's opening set, for the record:

Getting Somewhere
Fairweather
Soft Place to Fall
New Year's Day
Hallelujah
A Change Is Gonna Come
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:27 pm

FYI. On his radio show last night, Steve mentioned that he'll be producing Joan Baez's next album.
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:30 am

For all you fans of Steve Earle and/or Townes Van Zandt (and you know who you are...):

Steve Earle gives "Townes" the tribute treatment

Monday, March 9, 2009 – Townes Van Zandt was always one of Steve Earle's greatest influences, and now the singer will give him the tribute treatment. Earle will release "Townes" on May 12th via New West Records. The 15-song set is comprised of songs written by Van Zandt. "Townes" will also be available as a deluxe 2-CD set, as well as double Limited Edition 180 gram vinyl.

The album was produced by Earle at his home in Greenwich Village, at Sound Emporium and Room and Board in Nashville and The Nest in Hollywood. The track Lungs, was produced and mixed by the Dust Brothers' John King and features Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine/The Nightwatchman/Street Sweeper on electric guitar. Earle's wife, Allison Moorer, is featured on backing vocals on Loretta and To Live Is To Fly. Three songs cut in Nashville, White Freightliner Blues, Delta Momma Blues and Don't Take It Too Bad feature a bluegrass band consisting of Dennis Crouch, Tim O'Brien, Darrel Scott and Shad Cobb.

Earle met Van Zandt in 1972 at one of Earle's performances at The Old Quarter in Houston. Van Zandt was in the audience and playfully heckled Earle throughout the performance to play the song Wabash Cannonball. Earle admitted that he didn't know how to play the tune and Van Zandt replied incredibly, "You call yourself a folksinger and you don't know Wabash Cannonball?" Earle then silenced him by playing the Van Zandt song Mr. Mudd and Mr. Gold, not an easy feat due to its quickly-paced mouthful of lyrics squeezed into just over two minutes of song. On Townes, Earle and his son, singer-songwriter Justin Townes Earle (named after Van Zandt) trade verses on the tune, a song the two of them have been playing together since Justin was a teenager.

The songs selected for Townes were the ones that meant the most to Earle and the ones he personally connected to (not including selections featured on previous Earle albums). Some of the selections chosen were songs that Earle has played his entire career (Pancho and Lefty, Lungs, White Freightliner Blues) and others he had to learn specifically for recording. He learned the song (Quicksilver Daydreams of) Maria directly from Van Zandt, and taught himself Marie and Rake specifically for the album's recording. Once a song he played during his live show, Earle relearned Colorado Girl in the original Open D tuning that Van Zandt played it in. Earle recorded the New York sessions solo and then added the other instruments later on in order to preserve the spirit of Van Zandt's original solo performances to the best of his recollection.

Van Zandt's debut album, "For The Sake Of The Song," was released in 1968. His last, "No Deeper Blue," appeared in 1995. His life and songs are the subject of a 2006 documentary film, "Be Here To Love Me." Van Zandt died in 1997 at 52.

Songs are:
1. Pancho and Lefty
2. White Freightliner Blues
3. Colorado Girl
4. Where I Lead Me
5. Lungs
6. No Place To Fall
7. Loretta
8. Brand New Companion
9. Rake
10. Delta Momma Blues
11. Marie
12. Don't Take It Too Bad
13. Mr. Mudd and Mr. Gold
14. (Quicksilver Daydreams Of) Maria
15. To Live Is To Fly

Earle will be touring in support of "Townes" with tour dates announced shortly.
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby mhwlng » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:09 am

I went to see Steve Earle last week.
It was a solo-acoustic gig. Allison Moorer wasn't with him...
He played mostly Townes van Zandt songs, one Tom Waits song and some of his own songs... (he ended with Copperhead Road)

He talked a lot between songs and told many anecdotes about his life with Townes. He even talked about his former heroin addiction and time in prison!

I think that he played almost 2 hours!

I'll be seeing him again (twice!) at cayamo in a few months :D

He also said that Allison will have a new album out by february and he will start recording a new album in may..

Marcel
mhwlng
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Re: Steve Earle

Postby elcorazon » Tue May 21, 2013 10:56 am

I was underwhelmed with both Townes and the follow up album, but I must say, the new one, The Low Highway, is fantastic. I rank it up there with some of Steve's best like Jerusalem, Transcendental Blues and maybe even El Corazon. A true return to form.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Return to Music. (Other than Patty!)