Downtown Church - the unified discussion thread

Talk about Patty to your heart's content.

Moderator: gillian

Postby Russell » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:29 pm

keith from ny wrote:
Russell wrote:Although I think the overdub of Julie Miller in "Coming Home to Me" doesn't quite work for me (it seems Buddy may have been trying do what worked so incredibly well with the reversal of roles of Patty and Julie in Julie's "Don't Say Goodbye" and "I Still Cry")...
.

I just have to go on record as saying that I think Julie's contribution to this song (both her inflection and the way the harmony line combines with Patty's vocal part) is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.

I'm glad you went on the record with that Keith. I'm actually coming around myself as I listen more. I think my problem has always been that I still can't make out a few of those words.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying
 
Posts: 635
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Austin

Re: Downtown Church - unified ....

Postby Russell » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:45 pm

jmp31 wrote:Arlene, have you seen the CD? And there are no lyrics - not even for the Patty-written tracks? And no listing of musicians for each track?

That's not good. I was really looking forward to the liner notes and all the information one usually expects to find. I was also hoping that there would be photos of the musicians as well as Patty.
Jane

There are some photos of the musicians, but it is not the type of insert that will justify the extra cost of a CD over mp3 unless you are a collector of CDs or you can tell the difference in the sound or unless you're like me and just like the idea of having particular CDs and this is one of them.

BTW, DC is currently at #6 on iTunes and #7 on Amazon.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying
 
Posts: 635
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Austin

Postby marybeth » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:34 pm

keith from ny wrote:
Russell wrote:Although I think the overdub of Julie Miller in "Coming Home to Me" doesn't quite work for me (it seems Buddy may have been trying do what worked so incredibly well with the reversal of roles of Patty and Julie in Julie's "Don't Say Goodbye" and "I Still Cry")...
.

I just have to go on record as saying that I think Julie's contribution to this song (both her inflection and the way the harmony line combines with Patty's vocal part) is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.


I don't have any problem with that either. I think it's lovely.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Image

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly


Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
User avatar
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World
 
Posts: 3625
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:40 pm
Location: Jersey City, NJ

Postby Gretzky » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:48 pm

Goodness gracious me, but folks sure have a lot to say and write about this album! If I read it all, I wouldn't have time to listen to the music. . .or give it the attention it deserves, at least.

When it's all said and done, I guess I care what everyone else has to say about as much as everyone else cares about what I say, and if this music doesn't move move us for the right reasons, then we'll move on to something else.

I don't care for this album; I've grown weary of the Patty-Buddy-Emmylou-etc., etc. connection. Blasphemy, perhaps. It's a toe-touch into the gospel waters rather than a full-on dive, and that diminishes everything for me.

Waiting For My Child is the standout track for me, and served the music well, as it led me to seek out an old Consolers disc that was hanging out in the budget bin at my store. Sullivan Pugh is evidently in very poor health at the moment, so play this song loudly with love and prayers to him.

Hopefully, some of these songs will snarl and bite when played live, and stir souls enough to get people up and moving. . .I haven't seen enough of that at Patty shows. Or maybe I haven't seen the right shows. . .

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks to everyone for perpetuating this wonderful and unique musical community.


I don't know why, it's the same reason why you like some music and you don't like others. There's something about it that you like. Ultimately I don't find it's in my best interests to try and analyze it, since it's fundamentally emotional.
-Jerry Garcia
step up and bless the mic
Gretzky
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds
 
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:13 am

Postby RightOverThisMess » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:51 pm

Tonto Yoder wrote:I'm somewhat surprised no one has picked out "Death's Got a Warrant" as a favorite. It caught my ear on first listen and I continue to enjoy on successive plays. I realize it's a serious subject, but I find it fun to hear.


I've been scrolling through everyone's posts JUST to see what people think of Death's Got a Warrant. It is BY FAR my favorite track on the album.

All I have to say is this: I enjoy listening to it because it's Patty. But the songs (besides Death's Got a Warrant) don't move me at all, unfortunately.
Nobody helps a liar.
Image
...and you don't know what I've done.
User avatar
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying
 
Posts: 809
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:56 am
Location: St. Paul

Postby keith from ny » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:18 pm

RightOverThisMess wrote:
Tonto Yoder wrote:I'm somewhat surprised no one has picked out "Death's Got a Warrant" as a favorite. It caught my ear on first listen and I continue to enjoy on successive plays. I realize it's a serious subject, but I find it fun to hear.


I've been scrolling through everyone's posts JUST to see what people think of Death's Got a Warrant. It is BY FAR my favorite track on the album.

Image Well of course it is, Carly!
I don't know nothing except change will come
User avatar
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World
 
Posts: 2197
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 7:57 pm
Location: Brightwaters, NY

Postby RightOverThisMess » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:11 pm

keith from ny wrote:
RightOverThisMess wrote:
Tonto Yoder wrote:I'm somewhat surprised no one has picked out "Death's Got a Warrant" as a favorite. It caught my ear on first listen and I continue to enjoy on successive plays. I realize it's a serious subject, but I find it fun to hear.


I've been scrolling through everyone's posts JUST to see what people think of Death's Got a Warrant. It is BY FAR my favorite track on the album.

Image Well of course it is, Carly!


I know, right?! I'm as unsurprised as you are. :D
Nobody helps a liar.
Image
...and you don't know what I've done.
User avatar
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying
 
Posts: 809
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:56 am
Location: St. Paul

Postby jbjojo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:56 pm

I just have three simple words to say about the album....I LOVE IT!
jbjojo
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:02 pm

Downtown Church unified...

Postby jmp31 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:38 pm

What happened to the video of Patty sitting in one of the pews at the Downtown Church, discussing the CD? Russell had it up on PattyCentral, but it seems to have vanished. There was a lot of good stuff there that told a lot about her approach to the music and how she tried to deal with her biases.

Also she talked about Michael Ramos's contribution to her choice of the Spanish language song. Did I hear an accordian on that track? Wouldn't it have been Ramos? Wouldn't that have been why he was there in the church? Anyway, he is not credited as one of the musicians, though he is included among the people Patty thanked in a general way. (I am an avid consumer of liner notes and am disappointed in the lack of info -- lyrics, musicians on each track -- provided for this CD, unlilke Patty's previous offerings.) Jane
jmp31
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds
 
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:38 am
Location: Portsmouth NH

Re: Downtown Church unified...

Postby Russell » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:03 pm

jmp31 wrote:What happened to the video of Patty sitting in one of the pews at the Downtown Church, discussing the CD? Russell had it up on PattyCentral, but it seems to have vanished. There was a lot of good stuff there that told a lot about her approach to the music and how she tried to deal with her biases.

Also she talked about Michael Ramos's contribution to her choice of the Spanish language song. Did I hear an accordian on that track? Wouldn't it have been Ramos? Wouldn't that have been why he was there in the church? Anyway, he is not credited as one of the musicians, though he is included among the people Patty thanked in a general way. (I am an avid consumer of liner notes and am disappointed in the lack of info -- lyrics, musicians on each track -- provided for this CD, unlilke Patty's previous offerings.) Jane

The video you describe was actually a looping stream that preceded the live webcast, and loops of the recording of the live webcast have replaced the earlier video.

My impression is that John Deaderick provides all keyboards including any accordion. It does appear that Michael came by the church during the recording session, so who really knows (other than Arlene who I hope will check her incredible database for the true story)?

That CD insert is taking a lot of grief from a lot of quarters, but I do recall Patty commenting in the Musicians Radio interview that she agreed to do the album if it could be done "inexpensively", so who knows . . .
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying
 
Posts: 635
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Austin

Postby Russell » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:04 pm

jbjojo wrote:I just have three simple words to say about the album....I LOVE IT!

My favorite kind of review.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying
 
Posts: 635
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Austin

Re: Downtown Church unified...

Postby Arlene » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:57 pm

Russell wrote:My impression is that John Deaderick provides all keyboards including any accordion. It does appear that Michael came by the church during the recording session, so who really knows (other than Arlene who I hope will check her incredible database for the true story)?


I don't know whether Michael Ramos played on the album but I recall reading that at least one person who visited the Church when the album was being recorded wasn't recorded in the Church-- according to Peter Cooper in The Tennessean, Emmylou stopped by the Church to "bless the proceedings" but her harmony vocals were recorded later, probably at Buddy's home studio. Also, Shawn Colvin wasn't recorded in the Church, but of course, appears on the album, and this may also have been true of Julie Miller and Raul Malo.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

User avatar
Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World
 
Posts: 2490
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:20 pm
Location: NYC

Downtown Church unified...

Postby jmp31 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:15 pm

Michael Ramos did show up at the church in that now lost video of Patty talking about the making of the CD, but he may have been there to coach her on Spanish, as he did for Mil Besos.

About the CD insert, I can't imagine it would have cost much to include a list of musicians for each track, and the lyrics for the Patty-written tracks. Could nave been done without adding another page to the insert. I wonder what that Broken Crow angel image was doing on the back of the CD and whether there was a fee for using it.

But I do love the music on the CD, and I am really glad Buddy got Patty to do Move Up, which I think measures up quite well to the Swan Silvertones recording of it. Glad Patty eliminated the "sho- nuff" that appears about 2 minutes into the Swans version.
Jane
jmp31
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds
 
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:38 am
Location: Portsmouth NH

Re: Downtown Church unified...

Postby TontoBronto » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:07 am

jmp31 wrote:.... But I do love the music on the CD, and I am really glad Buddy got Patty to do Move Up, which I think measures up quite well to the Swan Silvertones recording of it. Glad Patty eliminated the "sho- nuff" that appears about 2 minutes into the Swans version.
Jane

Where did you find the Swan's version?
I had hoped to buy the track on iTunes or someplace similar, but couldn't find it.
I did find some CDs for sale with "Move Up" on them, but I don't really like their kind of music enough to "invest" in a whole CD. :wink:
TontoBronto
Top of the World
Top of the World
 
Posts: 2914
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:00 am

Postby marybeth » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:18 am

I hearby no longer dislike the song in Spanish! And I like the album more with each listen. :D
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Image

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly


Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
User avatar
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World
 
Posts: 3625
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:40 pm
Location: Jersey City, NJ

PreviousNext

Return to PattyTalk



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
All photos © Traci Goudie