Another American Idol Performance of "Up to the Mountai

Talk about Patty to your heart's content.

Moderator: gillian

Another American Idol Performance of "Up to the Mountai

Postby Russell » Wed May 26, 2010 8:58 am

From BeatWeak Magazine:

Who won American Idol? Patty Griffin did, according to iTunes

Patty Griffin has seen her three year old song “Up To The Mountain (MLK song)” surge in iTunes to become her best-selling song in the online music store, after American Idol contestant Crystal Bowersox performed the song for the show’s final. In fact, purchasing attention for the song has been so great in the past twelve hours that Patty’s second best selling song is a live concert version of the same song. The exact chart impact on the song is difficult to measure due to the fact that iTunes doesn’t list the top selling songs in the “singer-songwriter” genre under which Patty Griffin’s 2007 album Children Running Through is filed, but while we’ll still have to wait until tonight find out who officially “won” American Idol, it appears that Patty Griffin has won already.

LINK

Here's the performance:

<object width="512" height="322"><param name="movie" value="http://d.yimg.com/static.video.yahoo.com/yep/YV_YEP.swf?ver=2.2.46"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="AllowScriptAccess" VALUE="always"><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"><param name="flashVars" value="id=20017839&vid=7551295&lang=en-us&intl=us&thumbUrl=http%3A//l.yimg.com/a/p/i/bcst/videosearch/14843/108078570.jpeg&embed=1"><embed src="http://d.yimg.com/static.video.yahoo.com/yep/YV_YEP.swf?ver=2.2.46" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="322" allowFullScreen="true" AllowScriptAccess="always" bgcolor="#000000" flashVars="id=20017839&vid=7551295&lang=en-us&intl=us&thumbUrl=http%3A//l.yimg.com/a/p/i/bcst/videosearch/14843/108078570.jpeg&embed=1"></embed></object>
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby saturdayboy » Wed May 26, 2010 3:01 pm

i'm not sure which i am more offended by:

1) the song being shortened to fit the show's per song limit (is that really necessary with two contestants left?)

2) crystal ad-libbing her own lyrics (solomon burke did it, but he's a soul legend)

anyways, the itunes sales spike is good news.
"i never understood my failings then,
and i hide my humble hopes now"
saturdayboy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Russell » Wed May 26, 2010 3:23 pm

saturdayboy wrote:crystal ad-libbing her own lyrics (solomon burke did it, but he's a soul legend)

I'm guessing you're talking about SB's live performance with Patty because I believe the lyrics on his own recording are as written. I'm also guessing that in the live performance, SB simply got his mountains and valleys mixed up, but that didn't seem to bother Patty in the least - and I agree, he can do whatever he wants to do. I also know from experience that age can do that sort of thing to you.

I suppose at some time, folks are going to realize what an incredible song UTTM is, even by Patty's standards. IMO, it not only is Patty's legacy, the song will become an oft-performed anthem.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby elcorazon » Wed May 26, 2010 3:24 pm

so now that a song first recorded in 2007 has been recorded by Solomon Burke, Kelly Clarkson, Susan Boyle and apparently Crystal Bowersox (soon to be), is it considered a "standard"?
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby IBeacher » Wed May 26, 2010 8:48 pm

IBeacher
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Postby saturdayboy » Thu May 27, 2010 12:26 pm

i liked crystal, but that version pales in comparison to the original. (almost as much as lee's single of u2's "beautiful day")
saturdayboy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Russell » Mon May 31, 2010 4:16 pm

saturdayboy wrote:i liked crystal, but that version pales in comparison to the original. (almost as much as lee's single of u2's "beautiful day")

Let's see. Two singles out of this year's AI (a show I have never watched) finals: Patty's "Up to the Mountain" and U2's "Beautiful Day". Is there some irony here, considering this excerpt from a story in the May 2002 issue of No Depression:

When Griffin delivered Silver Bell to Interscope in the summer of 2000, company president Tom Wally told Griffin he liked it, he thought it was a quality record and he wanted to put it out, but…he didn’t hear a single. Griffin thought she did. “I mean, I don’t know what singles are,” she says. “I just hear catchy tunes and I go, ‘Okay, well, I’ve got a single.’ But apparently they hear things differently. . . . They pointed out a song that I had pitched for a single and they said, ‘We need about ten more of these, and we’ll put a record out for you.’ There were three guys and I think that they were really trying. On the way out the door they handed me a record by U2, ‘Beautiful Day’, which isn’t a bad record, it’s just – I remember War. I was a kid when War came out, and I’d never heard anything like it before. And I thought that ‘Beautiful Day’ was a long way off from anything I wanted to do musically.”
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby saturdayboy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:19 pm

WOW!!!

russell you are a true scholar of pattytopia.

i am less shocked by the coincidence/irony than i am by the fact that a record label exec expected patty to sound like U2. (and i love U2)

ignorant.
saturdayboy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Rob » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:09 pm

Patty wrote: I remember War. I was a kid when War came out, and I’d never heard anything like it before.

War... *sigh* ...thanks for taking me back, Patty. I remember 1980-1981 and there being so much New Wave hitting the clubs and airwaves in New York. Some of my favorites were Fade to Grey by Visage and Lawnchairs by Our Daughter's Wedding. But this song was my absolute favorite. They seemed quite a few notches above everyone else.

Anyone else listen to New Wave back then? So much great stuff. I wonder what else Patty was listening to back in those days.
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Return to PattyTalk