Patty Quotes Repository

Talk about Patty to your heart's content.

Moderator: gillian

Patty Quotes Repository

Postby Rob » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:06 am

I found some of the quotes about Patty that used to be on that other Patty site.

I added in Jackson Browne and Kelly Clarkson. Feel free to add others, as I know they're out there.

"There comes a time when people are comforted by the music that accompanied their coming into their own. Unless you consciously try to expand that or you're aware that you have to work harder now you have to know you will have to use unusual means to uncover the beauties, like Patty Griffin, who is one of the finest songwriters. It's amazing to find someone that fully formed at this point in my life who's the embodiment of a lot of my ideals." - Jackson Browne

“I would go anywhere, anytime to hear Patty Griffin sing her extraordinary songs.” - Emmylou Harris

“I can’t think of a more beautiful singer and better songwriter alive today.” - Dave Matthews

"I told Patty she was a genius. She said I was wrong...so...she's brilliant, okay? -- Bruce Cockburn

"My favorite person on the planet." – Kelly Clarkson
Last edited by Rob on Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Patty quotes Repository

Postby jmp31 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:24 am

"There's a thing that happens when that voice sings her songs that comes from a place in her soul. Her voice is the kind of thing that hurts when you hear it. I don't know why we want that because it really does hurt, but we do." -- Buddy Miller
jmp31
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Rob » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:23 am

Googled the Cockburn quote (which is my personal favorite) and it only got two hits. But one of them was a post about Patty from 2002 on The Motley Fool Investment Analysis Club thread. Hope that person was as wise in their investments as they were in their musical tastes :lol:.

"Patty Griffin is a true gift to music. She is an astonishing, breathtaking artist. She is what music should be." -- Julie Miller

"I suspect Patty Griffin's songs make most people a little uncomfortable -- like they've just walked in on a private moment in someone else's life and they know they should turn around and tip-toe away, but they can't. They make me jealous." -- Steve Earle

"Patty Griffin can do no wrong." -- Kasey Chambers

"I remember listening to Patty sing her song 'Mary' during a stunning solo performance one night. It made me cry and that's always the truest test for me. Her voice alone is enough to rave about and then there are the songs! It blows my mind that Patty's not already famous." -- Lucinda Williams.

"This is Patty Griffin's gift; with her voice and her songs, she sheds light on the shadow places, tells the stories of the quietest among us, and breaks every heart in the room with her knowledge of love and its fallout. '1000 Kisses' is a masterpiece of songwriting and singing, confirming that Patty Griffin is one of the most eloquent and gifted artists in contemporary music today." -- Mary Chapin Carpenter
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Little_Kites » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:13 pm

Here is another one from Emmylou Harris:

Pitchfork: Someone like Griffin is maybe better known as a songwriter than a performer.

EH: People should get over that. Anybody who has ever seen her perform-- she's a soul singer. This girl is extraordinary. I was lucky that she happened to be working with Malcolm while I was working with Dan [Lanois] and Malcolm. When I heard that record [Living With Ghosts]-- which actually never came out-- of just her and her guitar...there are times when you think, oh, I've heard it all. Nothing's ever going to affect me again, I'm just going to go listen to all these old people that I love, whose music has inspired me. And then along comes Patty Griffin, somebody that you've never heard before, who moves you in a way that you didn't know you could be moved. That's just a great gift. To stumble on somebody of her artistry.

From http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/f ... lou-harris
Little_Kites
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby Little_Kites » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:56 pm

Hmmm I don't know if this actually counts as a Patty quote or not its more like somebody recalling an event were somebody said something about Patty and sort of paraphrasing:

Earlier this month I heard the folksinger Ellis Paul perform in concert, and he gave the perfect description of fellow singer/ songwriter Patty Griffin’s voice, since Patty has contributed vocals to several of Paul’s albums. He said that just as photogenic people never fail to look great on camera, Patty’s voice is “audiogenic” and never fails to sound great on a record.

This is from a review of Flaming Red here: http://popsublime.blogspot.com/2010/07/ ... l#comments
Little_Kites
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Return to PattyTalk