American Kid

Talk about Patty to your heart's content.

Moderator: gillian

Re: American Kid

Postby Kelsea » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:50 pm

… I can take one of those rocks for you Arlene. I’ve kept it in the car for a month now, but I just can’t get attached. There is something just very un-patty about it. I won’t bother trying to explain that because I think it was best said here “There are a handful of solid songs, no true Patty-level classics and a few downright mediocrities and “I don't particularly think it suits her talents or highlights her abilities.”

I was really looking forward to Craig Ross producing because Impossible Dream is pure brilliancy in my eyes, so American Kid just has me dumbfounded. The arrangements (especially GWYWTG) and acoustics really took me by surprise on a number of songs. Perhaps the biggest admission I have to make is that her vocals just seem strained or forced to complement something that not worthy of being complemented at times.

Based on the vocals, arrangements and style it feels very much so like a theme album (it is a tribute album). In that regard, I can easily say it is a brilliant one, but as a “Patty” album it feels very out of place with the rest of her work. Perhaps most of all is the songwriting portion. Nowhere near Impossible Dream or 1000 Kissess and honestly Living With Ghosts and Children Running Through too. GWYWTG and That Kind of Lonely are brilliant songs and the only ones I could easily see translating to one of her previous works. I do appreciate the performance of DLMDIF. Ohio and Highway Song have me baffled. I’ve certainly never felt this way about a Patty album or refrained from gushing/reccomending before. I feel all kinds of dirty right now lol- rock please :D
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Kelsea » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:02 pm

I have to add it... I think it's the lack of diversity that really irks me. Patty has never done anything where her work was so narrow in range. Usually there is this mix of genres and styles on a Patty album (even Downtown Church) that only she can pull off. I think American kid flows too well. Ok, done. You take the mic Kevin!
Kelsea
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby sfboy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:40 am

I'm still traveling and I'm going to wait until I get home next week to write my "review". But don't worry all you AK non fans, I think it's fine and even interesting that people have different opinions here, especially because people are respectful :) So no stones here. :) I just feel sorry that a new Patty CD came out and you guys aren't into it very much because I remember how disappointed I felt when Downtown Church came out and I couldn't really get into it.

OK, will post in a week and a half or so from now.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby saturdayboy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:41 pm

enough with this blasphemous mutiny!!!
seriously, i wasn't sure how i felt at first, but it has really grown on me, a lot. if "that kind of lonely" and "i am not a bad man" are not "patty-level classics" i don't know what is. i especially enjoy "mom and dad's waltz". sure it's a cover, but the vocal is so heartfelt that it really touches you. i mentioned earlier that when i first heard "get ready marie" on soundstage i thought it was sub-par, but the album version really works for me.

i will agree on the production being off. 1,000 kisses, impossible dream, children running through and downtown church sound great. what went wrong?
"i never understood my failings then,
and i hide my humble hopes now"
saturdayboy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby elcorazon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:53 am

Wow, I kinda disagree with SaturdayBoy's entire post, save for the positive feedback on "Go Whereever You Want To Go" and "That Kind of Lonely". "Mom & Dad's Waltz" isn't problematic because it is a cover. I like her covers. "Tomorrow Night", "Mil Besos", "The Cape" (from Guy Clark tribute) and many others rank among my favorite Patty songs ("Take it Down", too). I just don't care much for the song, or at least Patty's version of it.

When I first heard "Get Ready Marie", I thought it was hilarious and a real hoot. On the record it is slight and even grating. I find myself skipping ahead when it comes on, as I do with Mom & Dad's Waltz (totally unheard of for me to forward anything on a Patty album - in fact I am one who rarely skips any tracks on any albums usually).

The production seems ok to me, at least the sound of the record doesn't really bother me. In fact I think it sounds pretty good. I just don't think the songs/styles for Patty are that amazing. They aren't bad - they just aren't great. I think Children Running Through is truly the best of Patty. The production, the songs, the vocals, the lyrics, the melodies, everything. This one is just missing too many elements to rank as an important record in Patty's history.

Her show was the least memorable show I've ever seen her do as well. it was good, but as Patty shows go, it wasn't up there with her usual greatness.
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby saturdayboy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:07 am

that's interesting, because "american kid" is the only one besides "1000 kisses" and sometimes "living w ghosts" that i don't skip any songs on.

agreed on the show. not special on a lot of levels: the venue, the band, setlist, and the asshole who kept on yelling "SWEET LORRAINE", until patty obliged just to shut him up.
saturdayboy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:28 pm

Okay... more than five months after release, I finally got American Kid. Except for Get Ready Marie and Go Wherever You Want to Go, hadn't heard a single song (didn't make it to any shows).

That being said, the one word I'd use to describe the album would be... underwhelming. First three are classics (in my humble opinion) but then it kinda just drops off. Except for That Kind of Lonely and Not a Bad Man, I find the rest of the album to be fairly quiet and uninspiring (never liked Get Ready Marie, should have gone with My Love is a Dud). But hey, I'm not complaining. Every one of these songs is head and shoulders above most of the music I hear today.

That being said, a few more spins and it'll probably grow on me. As to a Grammy, could be the Pacino scenario. They felt badly about not awarding him an Oscar for Godfather II and Dog Day Afternoon, so they made it up with Scent of a Woman. Pick your Patty album and run with that.
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby saturdayboy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:10 pm

why did you wait so long?
saturdayboy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Rob » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:46 am

saturdayboy wrote:why did you wait so long?

Because I'm not like I used to be.
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Previous

Return to PattyTalk