Patty and Plant Split

Talk about Patty to your heart's content.

Moderator: gillian

Patty and Plant Split

Postby Turk » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:56 pm

Although Patty and Robert performed together at the Americana Music Awards last night, Plant confirmed they are no longer together.

http://www.austin360.com/weblogs/austin ... y-griffin/

Most Austinites have known for a minute that our favorite rock legend in residence Robert Plant was no longer staying at his Bouldin Creek home (his publicist confirmed it to the Statesman last week). We suspected a break up with his incredibly talented girlfriend (wife?), local treasure Patty Griffin. Plant recently confirmed a split with the singer to British publication The Independent.

“Patty and I tried a sort of zig-zag across the Atlantic,” Plant told the publication, “but she didn’t share my penchant for cider and she used to marvel at the Black Country character I became after four pints of Thatchers. My feelings are very much ones of sadness and regret."
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Re: Patty and Plant Split

Postby sfboy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:29 am

“but she didn’t share my penchant for cider and she used to marvel at the Black Country character I became after four pints of Thatchers. My feelings are very much ones of sadness and regret."

When I read this, I took it to mean that he drinks a lot and that Patty wasn't into that. Is that what he's saying?

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Turk » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:05 am

That's the way I read it too, Kevin. Who knows how much of it is true. I know they've been busy with their own separate tours and albums. I know it's not hard to drift apart in that lifestyle.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Turk » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:24 am

Here's more detail and the rest of that quote from The Independent article:

Songs such as “Embrace Another Fall”, the extraordinary piano ballad “A Stolen Kiss”, and “House of Love” (“Leaving was so hard,” it begins) are key, Plant addressing his 2013 break-up with the US folk singer Patty Griffin. The pair had set up home together in Austin, Texas, after collaborating on Plant’s 2010 album, Band of Joy, but “culturally and slightly spiritually” Plant began to experience a troubling disjunct which he says led him to “swing the wheel right around”.

As the gritty, febrile “Turn It Up” details, Plant’s sense of alienation didn’t dissipate when he drove east of Tunica, Mississippi, to commune with the ghosts of the Delta blues greats who first inspired him: “I’m lost inside America/ I’m turning inside out/ I’m turning into someone else/ I heard so much about/ I’m blinded by the neon/ the righteous and the might/ I’m stuck inside the radio/ Turn it on and let me out.”

“Patty and I tried a sort of zig-zag across the Atlantic,” says Plant, “but she didn’t share my penchant for cider and she used to marvel at the Black Country character I became after four pints of Thatchers. My feelings are very much ones of sadness and regret, but I also disturbed myself. I had to come back [to Worcestershire] to find out just how much I valued what I’d left behind – it’s an old song, I guess.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 83308.html
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:37 pm

I guess that neither one of them wants to get into name calling, which is refreshing, actually, so I guess we will probably never know, but the other parts of the article didn't clear it up any for me. :)

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Return to PattyTalk