Sweet Harmony Soul Tour

Talk about Patty to your heart's content.

Moderator: gillian

Sweet Harmony Soul Tour

Postby saturdayboy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:26 am

saw patty and mavis staples in grand rapids, michigan yesterday!!!
she played about 4 songs of the new album, all very good.

kind of bummed that neither patty or the opener amy helm (levon's daughter) joined mavis for any numbers. still, it was a great show, worth checking out.
"i never understood my failings then,
and i hide my humble hopes now"
saturdayboy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Re: Sweet Harmony Soul Tour

Postby sfboy » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:34 pm

Thanks so much for the review. I'm going to see her next week on the same tour. Did Patty do a full set? And who went on first, Patty or Mavis?

I'm kind of surprised that Patty and Mavis didn't do anything together, but now that I think about it, Patty never does that. It's weird because when Amos Lee opened for her years ago, they didn't do any songs together, yet years later she ended up singing background vocals on one of his songs, so it's not like the didn't get along. The Indigo Girls, who I see a lot, always do one or two songs with the opener.

Anyway, thanks so much for the info. I've been looking for reviews on line but so far haven't found any.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Turk » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:11 pm

I saw Patty open two shows for Shawn Colvin back in the 90s. They did no songs together but later toured as a group and contributed to each other's albums. You just never really know.
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:44 am

Of course you are right about her performing with other people (3 Girls and a Buddy, Sweet Harmony Review, The Songwriters, Anti Land Mine Campaign) when they are billed that way. But what I meant was that I've never seen her perform with her opener, or if she was the opener, with the main act, unannounced. I just though that because she talked about Mavis being a huge influence on her so much during the making and touring for Downtown Church, she might change it up a little here. But I guess not. The one good thing about knowing that they aren't going to do any collaborations is that if Patty comes on first, and if I'm not getting into Mavis's set, I can leave early. :)

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby saturdayboy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:15 pm

kevin,

not quite a full set, about an hour, but you will not be disappointed. thought it had a real gospel vibe to it. patty was billed as headliner, but mavis played last. i bet it had something to do with patty refusing to have one of her heroes open for her.

there are a couple of reviews online now, and they all say the same thing:
3 solid shortened sets, all solid, but it's a shame they didn't sing together.

i was shocked, considering the fact that mavis has recorded with patty and has a history with amy's dad (levon). everyone around me was saying the same thing.
"i never understood my failings then,
and i hide my humble hopes now"
saturdayboy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby sfboy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:06 am

Thanks for the info :) At least I know what to expect now.
I have been looking for links to any reviews. I guess my googling skills suck. I kind of want to ask you to send them, but I also want to be surprised, so maybe I"ll hold off. I'm kind of sorry that Patty's set was heavily gospel because it's my least favorite genre of music that she does, but I was kind of expecting that. I saw Amy open for someone else and she was OK but not my favorite. Anyway, it'll be a fun night of music though I'm sorry that I won't be hearing a full set o' Patty.

I'll post a review after the show if anyone is interested.

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Return to PattyTalk