Patty Mentions

Talk about Patty to your heart's content.

Moderator: gillian

Patty Mentions

Postby girlgoddess » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:18 pm

So all the time when I'm looking on other artists' websites, reading interviews, watching tv, etc. and I see a reference to PG i want to post it. but then i never think it merits an entire thread. so now we have a catch-all thread. Next time you're online/reading/watching and see (yummy) things written about pg post it here! yes, i'm aware that exclamation point is totally unecessary and almost obnoxious.

i'll start.

michelle branch's band, the wreckers, post on their message board occassionally. this was mb's criteria for choosing band members:

A. Be devistatingly handsome (the guys only of course)
B. Know how to play (that helps)
C. Not talk too much
D. Drink Budweiser
E. Love Patty Griffin

www.thewreckers.com

xo.r.
if you have poo, fling it now.
girlgoddess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:15 pm

that's an awesome list of requirements. I may have to adopt it as I search for members of my band.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby B Minus Time Traveler » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:33 am

I know that Megan Mulally (Karen on "Will & Grace") is a Patty fan. Four or 5 years ago, she mentioned Patty on MTV when she was on TRL.
"You know, I cried when I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. And then I laughed...really hard." - Jerri Blank
B Minus Time Traveler
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby gillian » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:55 am

So, here's an excerpt from an article Google found on mlive.com:

Folk-rocker Patty Griffin stops at the Michigan Theater for a show April 28. Although her last album, "The Impossible Dream," was released in 2002, you can rest assured she's got plenty of new material on board, plus plenty of classics.

Released in 2002, huh? Seriously, how hard is it?
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby penguin » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:41 pm

Oh, Gillian, journalists don't have time to obtain "correct" or "accurate" information. Give 'em a break.
I've got walls, I've got wings, I am ready for the fire
I've got trust in nothing, see, I lost it by and by
but I've got something shining somewhere
honey, I dream on the sly --Chris Pureka
PattyChat | AntjeDuvekot.net | ChrisPureka.net | MattMorrow.net | Trades
penguin
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby penguin » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:29 pm

Small Patty mention in a bit about the Tsunami Relief disc.

Willie Nelson, “Songs for Tsunami Relief: Austin to South Asia”

The CD cover says “Willie Nelson” in big letters, but “Songs for Tsunami Relief” offers much more — an incredible sampling of Austin’s rich music scene, recorded live.

Patty Griffin, accompanied only by a conga drum, sings quietly but with unmistakable passion: “All of our children all over the world are everybody’s children. Let love be heard.”

Joe Ely’s decades of musical adventuring pay off in songs rich in both country sensibilities and rock power. Feedback and whining guitars mingle with his bourbon-and-cigarettes voice.

The music veers further into rock with Alejandro Escovedo and Spoon before Kelly Willis, Bruce Robison and Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks bring it back with versions of “What I Deserve” and “Traveling Soldier.”

Then Nelson arrives. He makes classics like “Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain” sound new again with fresh phrasing and tempos, and he complements them by dipping into his amazing catalog for touching but lesser-known songs.

Just as good as the music, of course, is the fact that proceeds from the CD and an accompanying DVD benefit tsunami victims.
— Christopher Wills

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7465708/
penguin
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Arlene » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:50 am

This is from Nadamucho's review of the best albums of 2004 (although I can't figure out how they ranked Impossible Dream so low) :

25. Patty Griffin – Impossible Dream
How do you follow up your artistic apex? If you’re Patty Griffin, you create a new album of emotionally unforgettable songs and receive even more critical acclaim. Impossible Dream may conjure too many images of failed relationships, or not enough depending on your taste, but it makes for a wonderful new chapter in Griffin’s formidable catalog. Griffin will remind you why you love music with just a few notes from her ethereal voice.

See http://www.nadamucho.com/Music_366.html
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Riverfront Times

Postby penguin » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:28 pm

From the Riverfront Times:

CRITICS' PICKS

Patty Griffin
Friday, April 22; the Pageant (6161 Delmar Boulevard)
Steve Pick

Published: Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Who in their right mind would try to describe the music of Patty Griffin? We can talk about her beautiful singing voice, her imaginative writing, her creative arrangements. Yes, we can throw adjectives in front of nouns all day, but we can't easily describe what makes her special.

Griffin's songs are complex, nuanced and difficult, yet lovely. She writes from points of view distant from her own, such as that of an old man looking back on the regrets of his life ("Top of the World") or that of a middle-aged woman getting more and more wrapped up in her unfulfilled desires ("Mother of God"). She sets these lyrics to elegant melodies that veer between simple constructions and elaborate forms. And she sings these songs with an inviting, richly evocative vocal style and a wide, dynamic range. Patty Griffin is, in short, a major talent.

She also has a nice little career going. Her songs have been sung by the likes of Bette Midler, Mary Chapin Carpenter and, most prominently, the Dixie Chicks. Meanwhile, Griffin continues to make her own albums, to more and more public notice. She has achieved her success on her own terms, never compromising her work.
penguin
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby girlgoddess » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:17 pm

The Greencards, a super fly bluegrass band, have just announced the track listing for their new cd to come out this summer.

Track listing for "Weather + Water"
1. The Ghost of Who We Were (Jedd Hughes/Carol Young)
 2. Weather and Water (Jedd Hughes)
 3. Almost Home (Eamon McLoughlin/Kym Warner)
 4. Like a Melody (Kym Warner/Bill Whitbeck/Carol Young)
 5. Time (Carol Young/Bill Whitbeck/Kym Warner)
 6. Long Way Down (Bill Whitbeck/Carol Young/Kym Warner)
 7. Marty's Kitchen (Kym Warner/Carol Young/Eamon McLoughlin)
 8. What You Are (Patty Griffin)
 9. Don't Want Forever (Kym Warner/Bill Whitbeck/Carol Young)
10. The Ballad of Kitty Brown (Eamon McLoughlin/Rich Brotherton)
11. Bordered on a Breakdown (Jerry Salley/Kym Warner)
12. The House on Vine Street (Kym Warner)

i'm thrilled to hear carol's version of this song... you guys should really check these kids out...

www.thegreencards.com

-girl.r.
girlgoddess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:29 pm

that's cool!
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby girlgoddess » Thu May 05, 2005 3:07 am

on sherylcrow.com's message board check out the post called:

"OT: I just need to tell EVERYONE!!!!"

tons of patty love over there!

.r.
Last edited by girlgoddess on Thu May 26, 2005 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
girlgoddess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby keith from ny » Thu May 12, 2005 10:27 pm

Cool, I'm listening to an archive of Steve Earle's Air America show with Mindy Smith and he was telling her about how no one ever wanted to follow Patty on stage, even when the audience mostly hadn't heard of her. Then he said "This is one of my favorite songs" and played Top of the World (that version with the awful instrumentation on ID :wink: ).
I don't know nothing except change will come
keith from ny
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby deaeterna » Sun May 15, 2005 8:07 pm

Patty was just mentioned on tonight's ep of Crossing Jordan. Woody (Jerry O'Connell) asked Jordan out to a Patty concert. YAY! I say go for it girl! Any guy who has such good taste in music must be worth having! LOL.

Tracy
deaeterna
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Arlene » Thu May 26, 2005 10:29 am

For the "better late than never" file, CD Times, U.K., finally got around to reviewing Living With Ghosts:

Living With Ghosts - Patty Griffin | 26-05-2005 09:00
Record label executives are not often right but in this case, their hands involuntarily created a masterpiece. Patty Griffin has initially recorded an elaborate record with big production - they hated it and decided to release the songs with just her singing by herself into a tape recorder.

Taut, edgy and searingly honest, Living With Ghosts is one of those CDs that just seems to be perfect from start to finish. Alone with her guitar, Patty is pouring her heart out her voice moving from sharp delivery to a tender whisper within seconds. Tellingly, my favourite song on the record has been changing ever since I bought this CD years ago - sometimes it's the helpless despair of Forgiveness, at other times the heavily strummed You Never Get What You Want, or sometimes I even go for the more optimistic Let Him Fly or Time Will Do The Talking. There just isn't a duff track in there...

Later releases have employed a lot more studio tricks and, to a certain extent, diluted her raw energy on display here. Stripped down and laid bare (literally judging by the cover), this is a lost treasure of a record that deserves a wider audience - moderately priced, this should be a compulsory record in any music collection.

See http://www.cdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=1863
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Thu May 26, 2005 10:46 am

On her web site, Rosanne Cash has a column entitled "Mrs. L's Monthly" in which, among other things, she discusses books, music, and movies she has recently enjoyed. In her February 5, 2005 column, she commented:

"Also, "Flaming Red", by Patty Griffin. I have been meaning for quite awhile to praise Patty in all her glory. Her voice, her sense of melody, her stunning lyrics. I just adore her, and this is a spectacular record."

See http://rosannecash.com/monthly.html
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Next

Return to PattyTalk