Patty Mentions

Talk about Patty to your heart's content.

Moderator: gillian

Postby elcorazon » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:38 pm

from vh1 - Rosanne picks her favorite songs - with a sexy, subversive theme - and includes a Patty track among them.

Starting with 1979's Right or Wrong, Rosanne Cash helped forge a new kind of country music. Singer/songwriter introspection and a contemporary pop/rock sensibility combined with her natural country roots to produce indelible hits like "Seven Year Ache." The fact that she was Johnny Cash's daughter may have opened some doors, but she's always been her own woman. Critics are saying her new Black Cadillac, a meditation on the passing of her parents, is her most eloquent work to date. Cash chatted with us about some of her favorite songs and two themes cropped up: here are tunes either subversive or sexy.

Steve Earle "Condi, Condi" The Revolution Starts...Now

"I like the ska kind of feeling, and how completely tongue-in-cheek it is...a sexy song about a woman who's like Donald Rumsfeld, I just love that. She's the ultimate ice queen."

Mike Doughty "Busting Up A Starbucks"
Haughty Melodic

"It's awesome; it's my favorite song right now. Number one, his voice is so sexy...and this song grooves so deep, and it's so subversive, what could be more American than a Starbucks?"

Lucinda Williams "Hot Blood"
Sweet Old World

"Lucinda and I did a tour of Australia once and she did that song every night...I always came to the wings to listen to that song...it just dripped with sex. And the subversive part...it's her, she's naturally subversive."

Tori Amos "Taxi Ride"
Scarlet's Walk

"I love that song, it's about a gay man who died and there's just a lot of fury in it, and there's a lot of fury in love. When she goes to those high notes it gives me goose bumps."

Damien Rice "The Blower's Daughter"

"It's just so pretty. I guess it's not terribly subversive, but it's sexy to me."

Joni Mitchell "Night Ride Home"
The Complete Geffen Recordings

"When I was listening to it, I had just fallen in love with my husband and I was thinking about him all the time, and I played this song obsessively. Second, because it was the first time I heard her voice change, and I thought, 'how cool is that?' Her voice dropped three octaves and she still sounds amazing. And also, it was so intimate, that song is very cinematic to me. You see them in the car, you see the night sky. Subversive because she is, and sexy because of what I was thinking about when I was listening to it."

Beck "Jack-Ass"
Odelay

"He's got attitude in spades, and yet that song was so sensual. A really great combination of attitude and sensuality."

Bright Eyes "When the President Talks to God"
Motion Sickness: Live Recordings

"Subversive for obvious reasons, and sexy because he had the balls to play it on Leno."

Jane Siberry "Calling All Angels"
When I Was a Boy

"Jane, more than anyone I know, can make spirituality and sex come together in this incredibly beautiful way that makes sense. Gorgeous song."

U2 "Love and Peace Or Else"
How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

"U2 defines subversive and sexy, and I just chose that song out of many I could have chosen."

Creedence Clearwater Revival "Who'll Stop the Rain"
Cosmo's Factory

"That song kind of harkens back to the old protest songs to me. Like a direct child of Woody Guthrie. I love that kind of subversion with authority, and you know, John Fogerty's got an incredibly sexy voice and delivery."

Patty Griffin "Peter Pan"
Flaming Red

"Patty has a fire in her that just always inspires me, and this song was just so sexy...she also has the voice of authority, she really just embodies who she is. To me that's the ultimate sexiness."

Rosanne Cash "Like Fugitives"
Black Cadillac

"Subversive because it kind of indicts the church and lawyers, and sexy because...(coquettishly) I can be sexy..."
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Turk » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:45 pm

I love this.
Thank you for posting it. :D
Turk
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby deaeterna » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:34 am

From CMT...

Soul singer Solomon Burke will release his first country album in September on the Shout! Factory label. He recorded the album -- a mix of originals and covers -- at guitarist-songwriter Buddy Miller's Nashville home studio. Guests include Patty Griffin, Emmylou Harris, Dolly Parton and Gillian Welch. Burke won a Grammy for his 2002 album, Don't Give Up on Me. His 1960s hits include "Cry to Me" and "Just Out of Reach." He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2001. He performed in Nashville at the 2005 Americana Music Awards show.
deaeterna
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Arlene » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:27 pm

I was checking out this feature on amazon.com which gives lists of the "Best of the Decade" in various musical genres and, well, see for yourself.... http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/listma ... 28-0079868
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Mis » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:41 pm

I know that's right. :) In my top 5 albums EVER. :D
Liars
are lying
Airplanes
are flying
Love isn't here
Love isn't here
But it's somewhere...
Mis
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

Postby RightOverThisMess » Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:23 pm

Nobody helps a liar.
...and you don't know what I've done.
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby this_mess » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:20 pm

Robert Haven from Eugene?

Any relation?
I'd like to get away from earth awhile
And then come back to it and begin over.

--Robert Frost
this_mess
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby gillian » Mon May 08, 2006 12:53 pm

More from Kelly Clarkson....

"The funny thing is nobody really knows that side of me," Clarkson said. "Patty Griffin is my favorite person on the planet and she's a total singer/songwriter like Bob Dylan. She's amazing and people don't get to hear a lot of that on the radio, and it's such a sad thing. Everything doesn't have to sound like bubblegum ear candy. I mean, I love bubblegum ear candy, but it's great to have a break from that. ... [Griffin and LaMontagne] have got voices where they can break somebody's heart — but in a good way. And that's what I want to capture on the next album."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/153034 ... lines=true
gillian
Founder
Founder

Postby Arlene » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:01 am

So now we're a "cult" :wink:

Here's the quote from Bonnie Raitt: "There's a lot of exciting mentoring going on, with people showcasing other artists," says Bonnie Raitt, citing Emmylou Harris' support of longtime cult favorite Patty Griffin. Raitt has championed Maia Sharp, and can list a number of aspiring female musicians she admires, including some who send her their demos directly.

Actually, this is taken from a fairly interesting article in USA Today about female musicians. . See http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news ... gers_x.htm
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:33 am

From the 8/21/06 issue of Time Magazine:

The King of Rock, Soul and Restraint
UNMISSABLE

In 2001 Solomon Burke was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by Mary J. Blige. Imagine Al Pacino receiving an Oscar from Juliette Lewis, and you have some idea of the moment's hoo-ah! scenery-chewing potential. Burke, known to the soul-music cult as the King of Rock and Soul, once held every note as if it were his last, and on his mid-career albums you might have believed it to be yours too. At 65, he has lost a little breath but gained restraint, and Nashville, Burke's album of country covers (out Sept. 26) finds him undersinging and inhabiting songs (Tom T. Hall's That's How I Got to Memphis, Patty Griffin's Up the Mountain) in ways he never did at his vocal peak. The aging musician doing his best work is a modern cliché, as is a collaboration with contemporary artists as a form of tribute. But Nashville is a great way to discover a legendary voice, and Burke's guests--Dolly Parton, Gillian Welch and Emmylou Harris--know their job is to pay tribute to the songs, not the man.
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby marybeth » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:09 pm

Arlene wrote:So now we're a "cult" :wink:

Here's the quote from Bonnie Raitt: "There's a lot of exciting mentoring going on, with people showcasing other artists," says Bonnie Raitt, citing Emmylou Harris' support of longtime cult favorite Patty Griffin. Raitt has championed Maia Sharp, and can list a number of aspiring female musicians she admires, including some who send her their demos directly.

that's interesting Arlene, thanks for posting. btw I have been meaning to check out Maia Sharp since I noticed her as the writer of a song that I absolutely love off of the Dixie Chicks Home album, called "A Home". Hey, that's how I discovered Patty, so I should get on it.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby karla » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:55 am

Shawn Colvin was interviewed for a story on Weekend Edition Saturday (NPR), on Oct. 21, and Shawn mentioned Patty as one of her inspirations. They played a cut from Cinnamon Road, in which Patty sings back up, too.
It's hard to give, it's hard to get, ...
but everybody needs a little forgiveness.
karla
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:01 pm

karla wrote:Shawn Colvin was interviewed for a story on Weekend Edition Saturday (NPR), on Oct. 21, and Shawn mentioned Patty as one of her inspirations. They played a cut from Cinnamon Road, in which Patty sings back up, too.

Interviewer: Who do you think is great?

Ms. COLVIN: Oh gosh. I always panic when someone asks me that...

Interviewer: I'm sorry.

Ms. COLVIN: No, it's okay. Patty Griffin to me is awesome, Rufus Wainwright, Teddy Thompson...
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Arlene » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:21 am

From December 1, 2006 issue of Esquire Magazine:

THE BEST SONGS YOU DIDN'T HEAR IN 2006

1 "Look Up," New Orleans Social Club On what's certainly the best of the post-Katrina tributes, Irma Thomas and Marcia Ball lead an all-star Big Easy collective through a funky sing-along. 2"Up to the Mountain," Solomon Burke (with Patty Griffin) The self-proclaimed king of rock 'n' soul has impeccable taste in duet partners: It would take a Ray LaMontagne/Emmylou Harris pairing to find two better voices. 3 "Punkrocker," Teddybears (featuring Iggy Pop) A sneering condemnation of Hot Topic-inspired faux punk that resonates almost wholly because it's coming from Iggy Pop. 4"One of Us Is Going to Die Young," the Ark This quirky hand-clapper has more spunk in one chorus than the Killers manage to muster on their entire new record. 5 "The President's Dead," Okkervil River Whether you hear this meticulously detailed assassination anthem as a protest song, a revenge fantasy, or just a rumination on know-where-you-were moments, it's a ballsy piece of songwriting. 6"James Alley Blues," Wilco A seven-year-old live recording of an 80-year-old tune, and the best Wilco recording you've never heard. -A. L.
~Susannah Clark

~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Rob » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:28 pm

Mandy Moore likes Patty....

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/ ... the_studio

"I think [Warner Bros.] wanted something a little more mainstream," says Moore, who recorded the album at Allaire Studios in upstate New York. "They really didn't understand the direction I wanted to go in."

That direction is more mature, less bubblegum-pop Moore. Produced by John Alagia (John Mayer, Dave Matthews Band), Moore co-wrote every song on the album and handpicked collaborators including indie-folk duo the Weepies. The result is a more organic, folk-feeling album. While the record still has pop elements, Moore is convinced that people will be pleasantly surprised. "I think people are expecting the kind of pop that's out there today, whether it's Ashlee Simpson, Avril Lavigne or Kelly Clarkson -- and it's not," she says. But she isn't afraid to alienate some of her "Candy"-loving fans. "I listened to a lot of Patty Griffin and Wilco and Joni Mitchell for this album. I think it appeals to an older audience."
You can't really dust for vomit.

-- Nigel Tufnel
Rob
Blue Sky
Blue Sky

PreviousNext

Return to PattyTalk