Patty Mentions

Talk about Patty to your heart's content.

Moderator: gillian

Postby Redlucifer » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:17 pm

Some references to Patty in an interview with Kasey Chambers ...

http://www.thewest.com.au/aapstory.aspx?StoryName=349871

Chambers to take a break after delivery
23rd January 2007, 9:00 WST

Country music star Kasey Chambers says she wants to be a mum first and musician second after the birth of her baby later this year.

Chambers is due to give birth to her second child in early July, and the 30-year-old singer-songwriter has been taking full advantage of the pregnancy after a busy 2006 schedule.

"I finished touring in the first week of December, and I just pretty much stopped everything completely after that, I've just been at home hanging out," Chambers said after arriving at the Tamworth country music festival on ?Sunday.

"I'm making the most of it, laying on the couch, sleeping in, it's been really good."

The seven-time ARIA Award winner is back on the road for the next few months though, beginning with a free Australia Day concert at the country music festival with Missy Higgins.

The two have been planning the show via email, and even at this stage Chambers is unsure exactly how the performance will work.

She expects a solo performance from 23-year-old Higgins, who has spent the past months recording her second album in Los Angeles, but hopes the two can perform at least a few songs together.

Chambers says she has been a big fan of Higgins ever since she discovered they shared a love for American songwriter Patty Griffin.

"She (Griffin) has been a huge influence on me, and when I first saw Missy Higgins, before she made it big ... she came back for an encore and did a Patty Griffin song," Chambers said.

"I'd never heard anyone in my life play a Patty Griffin song, and I just thought: 'That's awesome!'"

After an acoustic tour across northern Queensland and Darwin with her husband and father in February and March, plus an appearance at the Byron Bay Blues Festival, Chambers will focus exclusively on her expanding family, which includes her four-year-old son Talon.

"I haven't taken anything on for the rest of the year. I'd just rather wait and see how I feel," Chambers said of her post-pregnancy plans.

"I went out on the road not long after Talon was born, and it was good and I enjoyed it, but I think I'd like to spend a bit of time with my family.

"When I go out on tour, I get itchy feet and I just go: 'Oh, I want to be home', I do enjoy being home a lot more.

"I'm married now, and I've got a kid on the way. I'm 30, I'm not a teenager any more."

The Tamworth country music festival concludes on January 28.

Chambers is pregnant with her first child with husband Australian singer/songwriter Shane Nicholson, whom she married in late 2005.

She had Talon in May 2002 with then partner actor/director Cori Hopper.
Redlucifer
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby marybeth » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:52 am

I hate starting new threads so I'm sneaking this in here. I've just posted a blog on myspace that plugs Patty, Pattynet and our dear Elise's wonderful review of CRT. If that's not a triple whammy.....

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... 3161170449
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby Browncoat » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:23 am

While technically not a Patty mention, this is from Joss Whedon's Celebrity Playlist on iTunes. Since he's one of my favourite people ever, this tickled me quite a bit:

"Top of the World" - Dixie Chicks
What's great about the album Home (apart from, like, every track) is that it has the most beautiful lullaby at the end, which any other country album would proudly go out on... and then comes "Top of the World," an epic, heart-rending cry of rancor and doubt. Even before the Dumb People of the World turned on them, the Dixie Chicks were poking at that shell.

I really want him to listen to Patty sing that song.
Subtly eccentric...
Browncoat
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby lily » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:06 am

From my interview with Scott Miller:

On the 2007 tour with Patty Griffin…

“I’m probably going to have to give her a percentage of record sales for the rest of my life, that tour really helped me out. She’s a good soul, she’s funny.”
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Russell » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:49 pm

lily wrote:From my interview with Scott Miller:

On the 2007 tour with Patty Griffin…

“I’m probably going to have to give her a percentage of record sales for the rest of my life, that tour really helped me out. She’s a good soul, she’s funny.”

I enjoyed reading your interview of Scott, Nichole. Good job. I could, however, have done without the knowledge that Scott's such an avid Volunteer football fan. :?
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby marybeth » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:48 am

Great interview, Nichole! Must have been fun.
http://www.marybethdamico.com

Some people don't care if they live or they die
Some people want to know what it feels like to fly

Americana: "a nebulous category of misfits and acquired tastes, many of whom seem to have worn cowboy hats at one time or another" LA Times article
marybeth
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby lily » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:28 pm

Thanks Russell.

And MB, it was a blast, I love Scott, he's such a great guy.
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Browncoat » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:09 pm

From an Indigo Girls interview:

In the context of the unusual Lilith Fair experience, where female singer-songwriters rode the airwaves in impressive numbers, Saliers recognizes where her music is today. "Singer-songwriters will probably mostly remain on the fringe of popular music," she says, "but their fans are loyal. They buy records -- not just singles -- and they come to shows. Serious women writers and artists are able to maintain long, successful, and meaningful careers. I am thinking of amazing women like Lucinda Williams or Patty Griffin."
Subtly eccentric...
Browncoat
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Browncoat » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:27 am

Another Indigo Girls one - in a podcast that was uploaded to iTunes today, the girls went through ten of their current favourite songs, each. Emily included "Rain" on her list and gave Patty probably the highest praise of any other artist in the podcast.
Subtly eccentric...
Browncoat
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Browncoat » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:35 pm

Lauren Graham is a Patty Griffin fan!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao_-fRs5Pxc (About 3:50 in.)
Subtly eccentric...
Browncoat
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby lily » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:22 am

It's almost turned into a game I play with myself to see how many artists I can get to mention Patty in an interview... well, not really, but she does come up quite a bit.

From Eamon McLoughlin of the Greencards:
http://www.uncommonmusic.org/2009/inter ... reencards/

While talking about Jay Joyce
...prior to all that he had done some great work with Patty Griffin that everyone had been in love with for a long time.

and

Q: If you were to make a mix tape of your favorite artists, who would be on it?

A: Paul McCartney, Allison Krauss, Lyle Lovett, Shawn Colvin, Patty Griffin
lily
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby Arlene » Fri May 15, 2009 10:20 am

http://blog.cmt.com/2009-05-14/jack-ing ... new-album/

Jack Ingram Adds Some Patty Griffin to New Album

Posted: May 14th, 2009 at 10:35 am | By: Alison Bonaguro

What is it about Patty Griffin these days? First Dierks Bentley snagged this folky singer-songwriter for a duet on “Beautiful World,” a track on his Feel That Fire album. And now Jack Ingram is following his lead. And I mean that in a very good way. I haven’t heard this shimmering duet that’s being talked about on his MySpace page and elsewhere, but Griffin’s voice is so pure and angelic — and Ingram’s is so gritty and honest — that I have no doubt they will make a good vocal couple. Ingram wrote the song, “Seeing Stars,” and it will probably be one of my favorite cuts on his upcoming album, Big Dreams & High Hopes. Of his singing partner, he says, “There’s only one Patty Griffin: such a writer, such a voice, such a spirit.”
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby mattimus » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:38 pm

Brief Patty mention in a Kelly Clarkson interview the other day:

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u4toS72hE0c&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u4toS72hE0c&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>
mattimus
A Place to Stand
A Place to Stand

Postby Russell » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:35 pm

There have been a ton of articles posted lately about Margaret Cho, all of them mentioning that Patty co-wrote a song with her that will appear on an upcoming album of Margaret's. I like this excerpt from the beginning of one of the articles:

Cue up a YouTube clip of comedienne Margaret Cho, and you're likely to find yourself laughing out loud at one of her popular, raunchy routines.

Perhaps she's discussing her sex life, or doing her famous impression of her Korean mother. Do a search for singer-songwriter Patty Griffin, and you'll find similarly entertaining clips -- albeit on a completely different level.

Cho can be crass; Griffin is all class. Cho discusses her sex life openly; Griffin's forthcoming album is one of gospel standards recorded in a house of worship.

The point is that, on the surface, the two women couldn't seem more different. But it says something about Cho that she got Griffin on board for her own album, the comedy-as-rock effort she's tentatively titled "Guitarded."

It also says something about Patty. :D

The full article is here.
Russell
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby RightOverThisMess » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:14 pm

Last night I finished reading Wally Lamb's new book The Hour I First Believed.

At the end of the book he discusses how important of a role music played in the creation of the novel. He includes a "playlist" of songs that helped him with different aspects of the book. He includes Useless Desires, Mary, and Not Alone. :D
Nobody helps a liar.
...and you don't know what I've done.
RightOverThisMess
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

PreviousNext

Return to PattyTalk