Patty at HSB

Find out all the latest about what Patty's up to, and where she can be seen and heard.

Moderator: gillian

Patty at HSB

Postby sfboy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:33 pm

Hey, Patty will be at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass again this year (Oct 4, 5, and 6). The schedule won't come out for a few weeks, but she'll be here. The other people I know of so far are Natalie Mains and Bonnie Raitt. :)

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Re: Patty at HSB

Postby sfboy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:12 pm

Even thought the HSB schedule isn't up, apparently Patty will be playing, as usual, on the Saturday, which is Oct 5. On the one hand, it's free, and it's Patty.On the other hand, I have to get there at 6:30 AM to get a decent place to sit, the crowds can be full of jerks, she is only given 50 minutes to play max, she has never played her full amount of time, and it makes for a very long day. I'm just saying...(please Patty, add another Bay Area show either before or after your HSB show. )

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby saturdayboy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:01 pm

yeah, festivals are fun but they are not the place to see your favorite acts
"i never understood my failings then,
and i hide my humble hopes now"
saturdayboy
Under These Clouds
Under These Clouds

Postby sfboy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:44 am

Patty is playing at 4:50 at the Rooster stage on Saturday. if anyone from here is coming, I"ll be there early staking out a place close to the stage, so if you want to join me, let me know. :) Arlene? Karen?

Kevin
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby sfboy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:07 pm

OK, so first things first. I know you all want to hear about the show. Patty was wearing a brown dress. She had a full band. She was great. :) And no Bobby Plant. But Emmylou.

Setlist:
1. Truth #2 (w/ Emmylou on background vocals).
2. Ohio
3. Wild Old Dog
4. Faithful Son
5. The Strange Man
6. Get Ready Marie
7. Don't Let Me Die in Florida
8. Chief
9. Little God
10. Go Wherever You Wanna Go
11. No Bad News (solo)
12. Mil Besos

I wasn't expecting Patty to have a band, and since I love American Kid, I really loved this setlist. Patty was great, as usual. The sound in the first few songs was not the best but it improved. She mentioned Silver Bell twice, but from they way she described it, she had very little to do with it finally being released.

That said, I hope she never plays HSB again because if she plays, I will go, and I don't like going anymore. To get a good place you have to get there early. I was there at 7 AM (and didn't even get that close to the stage) and was there until Patty got done at 5. It was a rare hot day in SF so being in the hot sun for 7 hours was not so much fun. Also, I always always always sit next to people who talk. Loud. For her whole set. I hate getting so mad at people I don't even know, and I know that people didn't come just for her, so I was expecting a little talking, but jeesh, not her whole set and so loud. When I finally looked over and just begged them to be quit, they were astonished, and then booed her when she finished that song, which I supposed was my punishment. I don't know why drunk people think they are so entertaining. I realize that I guess I'm fairly anti-social in that way. Talking stupidities with people just makes me tired and irritable.

Also, and I know this is heresy, but I don't like Emmy singing with Patty. I love Emmylou by herself, but the harmony vocal, at least with that sound, wasn't pretty or balanced. Also, I really didn't like the two people before Patty. Have any of you ever heard / heard of Mark Lanegan. I guess he is talented and appreciated because a lot of people seemed to really like him, but I could not listen to him at all, and he had, at least in my opinion, a very off putting stage presence. Also I was looking forward to Loudon Wainwright III but I was really underwhelmed. I didn't think he was particularly clever or musical, but that was just me I guess.

Anyway, Patty was awesome. The other 10 hours there, not so much. Please please please Patty, stay home next time so I don't have to do this again next year :)
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby elcorazon » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:04 pm

I'm with you on the festival scene in general. Not with you on the musical stuff. Love Mark Kozolek and Loudon Wainwright III and my heresy with Emmy is finding her boring alone, prefer her on harmony, especially with Patty. Also, count me among those who would prefer less American Kid in a setlist. Regardless, seeing Patty is always a treat, so, there's that.

I saw a bit of the streaming of HSB today and thought Richard Thompson, Justin Townes Earle and Trampled By Turtles, especially Trampled By Turtles totally rocked. And I might add, the live streaming was great. Alas, I didn't see Patty. Too bad.
If I died, he'd hear about it, eventually.
elcorazon
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Postby Arlene » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:47 pm

I'm sorry I missed Kevin at HSB this year. I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that for the first time in my life when I was in the same zip code as Ms. Griffin when she was performing, I didn't go to hear her sing; I stayed put where I was at the Banjo stage. The San Francisco Chronicle reported that 900,000 attended HSB over the course of the 3 days and given (1) the incredible crowds, (2)the heat on Saturday, and (3) the fact that even if I hadtried, I wouldn't have been able to get close enough to the Rooster Stage to see anything, I decided not fight to go hear (but not see) Patty's performance.

Regardless of the crowds and the heat, I had a terrific time. Five highlights for me: (1) Steve Earle singing Kate McGarrigle's "Go Leave" almost acapella at the Kate McGarrigle tribute, followed by Emmylou singing "I Eat Dinner," followed by Kate's ex-husband, Loudon Wainwright III, quipping: "I know I'll forever be known as the guy who used to be married to Kate, but now I feel as though I also left Emmylou Harris and Steve Earle;" (2) Buddy Miller's humble and self-deprecating introduction-- "I really don't deserve to be up here playing guitar with my next guest," and then launching into a terrific, rollicking duet with Richard Thompson on "Honky Tonk Blues;" (3) Emmylou and Vince Gill, accompanied by Jerry Douglas on dolbro, singing a spiritual and melancholy version of "Satan's Jewel Crown" in tribute to the late Mike Auldridge, a founding member of The Seldom Scene; (4) Jim Lauderdale's line that "it's so hot that we're all sweating up here like “Rush Limbaugh at a Steve Earle concert,” and (5) after being annoyed at myself for staying at the Banjo stage instead of fighting the crowds to get to the Rooster stage to listen to Patty, being rewarded for my laziness by hearing Jerry Douglas introduce "Viktor's sister," and then catching unannounced guest Alison Krauss perform “Poison Love,” “You Don’t Know Me,” “Don’t Leave Me This Way” and “Goodbye and So Long To You.” (Her surprise appearance was all that much sweeter because two weeks earlier, after she cancelled a performance at Wide Open Bluegrass, a post on her official web site had ominously explained that she has been "recently diagnosed with a vocal condition called dysphonia." )

As for this heresy about Emmylou, I don't really think it's fair to judge her harmony singing by a performance given with a terrible sound system. In the thousands of times she has sung harmony vocals, many of them outdoors with mediocre audio, I can believe that every now and then she'll have an off day but given how many times she has hit the mark, I'm willing to give her a pass from time to time. Think of her contributions to Ryan Adams's "Oh My Sweet Carolina," or Bob Dylan's "Oh Sister," or Guy Clark's "Fort Worth Blues" and you only begin to understand why folks like Johnny Cash and Elvis Costello and Peter Cooper think of her as the greatest harmony singer they have/had ever heard.

Kevin- You know you're annoyed by HSB now, but I'm willing to bet that next year, if Patty is on the list, I'll see you there.
"You've got to sing like you don't need the money, love like you'll never get hurt. You've got to dance like no one is watching. It's gotta come from the heart, if you want it to work."
~Susannah Clark

"Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." ~Molly Ivins

"If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."
~Tallulah Bankhead

Arlene
Top of the World
Top of the World

Postby sfboy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:17 pm

Arlene, I"m glad you had such a good time. ;)

I totally agree with you about live harmonies depending a lot on the sound systems. I actually meant that I don't really like Emmy singing with Patty in general, live or on record, because often her voice, which is so distinct, overshadows Patty's. It's neither good nor bad, just something that I'd rather not hear. That happens on Trapeze, for me. It doesn't happen on Long Ride Home. :) Anyway, you know I"m a big Emmylou fan. :)

And like I wrote in my other posting, yes, if Patty is there, I will go, but I'd rather she just didn't play next year so I wouldn't have to go. It makes for a very very long day and I just haven't been enjoying it so much these last 2 years. But if I do go next year, and I miss you guys again (you and Jaimie and Evan) I'm going to bawlllllllll! :)
sfboy
Up and Flying
Up and Flying

Return to Hot Off the Presses